Fan Advice (New Build)

oMek

Gawd
I ordered a Fractal Design Meshify C case and also a EVGA CLC 280.

I plan on running the CLC 280 in the front of the case pulling air in.

The top has room for 3x 120 or 2x 140, and rear has room for a single 120 fan.

I figure run 2x 140 exhaust at the top and a 120 in the rear.

What fans would you buy for each size, and are the fans that come with the CLC 280 good enough or should I be looking else where?

Any advise would be great! Want to get these ordered so it all comes around the same time.

holy crap "Airflow: 113.50 CFM (MAX)" stock fans on that CLC. so yes they are good enough and if you get fans in the 70ish range it will balance out good. so...
140mm: https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007998 600035592 600035653 600035654 600035655&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&SrchInDesc=PWM&Page=1&PageSize=96&order=PRICE
120mm: https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007998 600035653 600035654 600035655 600035590 600035652&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&SrchInDesc=PWM&PageSize=96&order=PRICE
these artic fans look like they are really good. I might try some next time I need fans. only bad review is an idiot that broke some blades off. come in 120 and 140mm AND they can be daisy chained: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16835186195
people also swear by these: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835709023 and these: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835709037
and ugly ass noctuas...

The color of Noctra's kill it for me. I know function over fashion but yeah....

those phanteks don;t look bad and are priced decent. Do you know if they are pwm?

The included fans in Meshfly are almost worthless. Dynamic X2 GP-12 only makes 0.88mm H2O and X2 GP-14 only makes 0.71 mm H2O at full speed. That is just enough ability to overcome resistance to move a little air at full speed and none or almost none at lower speeds because grill and filter resistane is about 0.5mm H2O. I suggest fans with a pressure rating of about 1.5mm H2O or more .. the more the better.

Don't confuse Fractal Design Venture HF and Venturi HP PWM. Venturi HP PWM have good pressure rating .. but Venturi HF do not.

Phanteks SP, XP and MP variants are all good.

Themralright TY-147A SQ, TY-143 SQ or TY-141 SQ are very good if you can find them and prices are competitive.

Last edited:
I bought corsair ml120 and ml120 pro fans last week and and love them. I am using the ml120 for push on a corsair h100i and one ml120 pro for exhaust in an air 240 case that sits maybe 2 or 3 feet from my head and they are quiet while moving a good amount of air.

The color of Noctra's kill it for me. I know function over fashion but yeah....

those phanteks don;t look bad and are priced decent. Do you know if they are pwm?

Then get Noctua's black chromax versions of their fans.

Noctua make good fans, but there are simply too many others just as good (some even better) at lower prices and in normal colors instead of baby poo brown. :eek:

I would go either Noctua or Corsair AF series.. A nice cheap 5 fan controller will work wonders for controlling sound, and temps..

Noctua sure, but Corsair, especially AF series have very low static pressure ratings .. and low pressure rated fans do not flow much air when working with fancy case grills and filters.

What are some?
Phanteks PH-F140 and F120SP, XP and MP are all good. Thermalright TY-147A SQ, TY-141 SQ TY-143 SQ. be quiet! Silent Wing 3, but the are rather expensive. If on a tight budget, Arctic F12 and F14 series.

Ended up ordering another two Venturi HP 140s today. Do to the design of the EVGA fans that come with the CLC a good majority of the air being moved does not pass through the radiator. The sides of the fan case are U shaped and seems a lot of air escapes there.

Five 140mm Venturi HP PWM here, Define R6. Two intake up front, one exh. in back, hooked to the fan hub controlled by the Mobo, idle at ~500 rpm, almost silent. Two on my H110i pushing out the top, controlled by the H110i, set to ramp a little faster than the others.

The fans are stupid good, and can move a ton of air at 1300rpm, no bearing noise, only a little turbulence even at full speed. Expensive but top notch fans.

Five 140mm Venturi HP PWM here, Define R6. Two intake up front, one exh. in back, hooked to the fan hub controlled by the Mobo, idle at ~500 rpm, almost silent. Two on my H110i pushing out the top, controlled by the H110i, set to ramp a little faster than the others.

The fans are stupid good, and can move a ton of air at 1300rpm, no bearing noise, only a little turbulence even at full speed. Expensive but top notch fans.
with 2x in top as exhaust you might have less dust issues with 3x intakes, 2x front and 1x bottom. As it is you have 3x exhaust with only 2x intakes, so dusty has to leak in to make up difference between what 2x front intake fans can push into case and what 2x top radiator and 1x rear exhaust fans are removing from case.

with 2x in top as exhaust you might have less dust issues with 3x intakes, 2x front and 1x bottom. As it is you have 3x exhaust with only 2x intakes, so dusty has to leak in to make up difference between what 2x front intake fans can push into case and what 2x top radiator and 1x rear exhaust fans are removing from case.

I have sealed the case as much as possible, and the two radiator exhausts are restricted almost as much as the intake. PSU fan runs constant too, EVGA SuperNOVA 850G3 fan side up, overall the case has a very slight negative pressure at idle. I am used to negative pressure cases and directing the airflow, generally better temps than positive pressure. Putting anything in the bottom would result in poor filtering, and suck in more dust anyway, the screen type filters are practically useless. The bottom is completely sealed right now, as are all the slot covers, everything not sealed is filtered with low density foam filters.

Last edited:
I have sealed the case as much as possible, and the two radiator exhausts are restricted almost as much as the intake. PSU fan runs constant too, EVGA SuperNOVA 850G3 fan side up, overall the case has a very slight negative pressure at idle. I am used to negative pressure cases and directing the airflow, generally better temps than positive pressure. Putting anything in the bottom would result in poor filtering, and suck in more dust anyway, the screen type filters are practically useless. The bottom is completely sealed right now, as are all the slot covers, everything not sealed is filtered with low density foam filters.
I don't care what your airflow is or if you will change it to get better airflow, but your attempts to justify what you have don't match reality. ;)

Case fans can only build extremely slight pressure differentials. Venturi HP-14 PWM make 1.94mm H2O pressure, that is .0.00275932860685129 PSI. Atmopheric pressure at sea level is 14.70psi, so fan at sea level makes 14.70275932860685129, which is the pressure difference 5.31 feel of change in elevation makes at sea level wth the air temperature at 22c.

I doubt you have 'sealed' the holes around connections, screw holes, case panels, etc.

Truth is negative pressure cases do not flow air any better or cool any better than positive pressure cases.

If bottom is completely sealed you must have PSU drawing air from inside of case too, so the airflow from 2x front intakes not only has to supply radiator, but PSU airflow .. and real exhaust. Front door venting and filter restriction is considerable .. I'm betting more than radiator in top of case and PSU in bottom.

Define R6 has as good a bottom filter as front filter.

I don't care what your airflow is or if you will change it to get better airflow, but your attempts to justify what you have don't match reality. ;)

Case fans can only build extremely slight pressure differentials. Venturi HP-14 PWM make 1.94mm H2O pressure, that is .0.00275932860685129 PSI. Atmopheric pressure at sea level is 14.70psi, so fan at sea level makes 14.70275932860685129, which is the pressure difference 5.31 feel of change in elevation makes at sea level wth the air temperature at 22c.

I doubt you have 'sealed' the holes around connections, screw holes, case panels, etc.

Truth is negative pressure cases do not flow air any better or cool any better than positive pressure cases.

If bottom is completely sealed you must have PSU drawing air from inside of case too, so the airflow from 2x front intakes not only has to supply radiator, but PSU airflow .. and real exhaust. Front door venting and filter restriction is considerable .. I'm betting more than radiator in top of case and PSU in bottom.

Define R6 has as good a bottom filter as front filter.

I am not using stock filters, since as I said they are crap. I am using low density foam, which allows much more air through over time, needing less cleaning. All the tiny gaps that remain, will get clogged with dust, and negative pressure will assist the intake fans as well. The benefit of negative pressure is no dead spots and potential heat build up. I have been doing this for a long time, and know how to make my rigs run cool while remaining clean and quiet.

I am not using stock filters, since as I said they are crap. I am using low density foam, which allows much more air through over time, needing less cleaning. All the tiny gaps that remain, will get clogged with dust, and negative pressure will assist the intake fans as well. The benefit of negative pressure is no dead spots and potential heat build up. I have been doing this for a long time, and know how to make my rigs run cool while remaining clean and quiet.
Okay, maybe better filters / less restriction.

Dust leaks through wthout clogging leaks 99 times out of 100.

I don't care how long you've been doing it, negative pressure does not in any way stop 'dead spots' or 'potentil heat build up'.

The airflow paths though case don't care if case is negative pressure or positive pressure .. any more then atmospheric pressure in your home cares about the changes in low pressure weather versus high pressure weather.

Just because what you are doing keeps things cool does not mean it's the best, but only that it is working for you.

Again, I don't care what your airflow is or if you will or can change it to get better airflow. Sure it's keeping things cool, but that does not mean it is the best way. Your attempts to justify negative pressure simply do not match what reality has proven time and again; that having a case with or without negative relative pressure makes no difference in cooling, but what makes the difference is how the airflow moves through the case.

Last edited:
just because you think you know best doesn't mean you do. his methods seem fine to me and nobody cares what you think.

just because you think you know best doesn't mean you do. his methods seem fine to me and nobody cares what you think.
And you thing anyone cares what you think or have to say?
Facts verify that having positive or negative relative case pressure has no effect on airflow inside of case or cooling ability of components involved.

nice high horse, get off it.
I don't care if you quote out of context so initial meaning is lost.
Buy why do you seem to care so much if I don't are? It's not like the conversation had anything to do with you. :confused:

Apparently you DO care, or else you would not be posting so much about it.
No, I don't care how he cools, but yes, I do care about the false logic logic of negative pressure case cools better than positive pressure case.

But why do you care .. because if you didn't care you wouldn't be posting.

No, I don't care how he cools, but yes, I do care about the false logic logic of negative pressure case cools better than positive pressure case.

But why do you care .. because if you didn't care you wouldn't be posting.

I am not the one stating I don't care.

But nice try....not.

All I know, is my way has worked since the late nineties, and I cherish the quiet computing environment that it affords me.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I am not the one stating I don't care.

But nice try....not.

All I know, is my way has worked since the late nineties, and I cherish the quiet computing environment that it affords me.
Bottom line here is negative case pressure does not cool any better than positive case pressure. For cooling one is no better than the other, but positive pressure pushes air out of case so keeps dust out while negative pressure draws dusty air into case.

Another advantage of positive case pressure is exhaust fans are normally not needed, so less money spent on fans and less fan noise .. that is assuming good pressure rated fans are used .. like 1.5mm Hwwith good pressure rated fans, exhaust fans are often not needed

Bottom line here is negative case pressure does not cool any better than positive case pressure. For cooling one is no better than the other, but positive pressure pushes air out of case so keeps dust out while negative pressure draws dusty air into case.

Another advantage of positive case pressure is exhaust fans are normally not needed, so less money spent on fans and less fan noise .. that is assuming good pressure rated fans are used .. like 1.5mm Hwwith good pressure rated fans, exhaust fans are often not needed

I'll agree that cooling performance it makes little to no difference.

But positive vs. negative only somewhat matters if all intake fans are filtered, and only then, by a small margin.

I won't respond any further in this thread beyond this post, I already feel bad having riled you up somehow into hijacking this thread with your non-sense. Bottom line is there is no consensus concerning positive or negative case pressure. How ever if you have done any research at all, you would know at least some exhaust pressure is required under the ATX specification, and most if not all case manufactures have exhaust fans from the factory. In fact, if only one fan is present, it is an exhaust. I have been building and modding PCs since 1998, I know the positives and negatives of both configurations, and have tested them thoroughly. In a very hot system, positive configurations are more noisy than negative configs, they have to be to get the same cooling effect. Dust is an issue either way, and with positive pressure, the filters regulate your performance, and must be cleaned just as often if not more. Negative config, I just clean everthing at the same time about once bi-monthy, and performance does not degrade nearly as much as with positive flow. Performance is better overall in every case I have used, probably because that's how they are designed. Regards.

I won't respond any further in this thread beyond this post, I already feel bad having riled you up somehow into hijacking this thread with your non-sense. Bottom line is there is no consensus concerning positive or negative case pressure. How ever if you have done any research at all, you would know at least some exhaust pressure is required under the ATX specification, and most if not all case manufactures have exhaust fans from the factory. In fact, if only one fan is present, it is an exhaust. I have been building and modding PCs since 1998, I know the positives and negatives of both configurations, and have tested them thoroughly. In a very hot system, positive configurations are more noisy than negative configs, they have to be to get the same cooling effect. Dust is an issue either way, and with positive pressure, the filters regulate your performance, and must be cleaned just as often if not more. Negative config, I just clean everthing at the same time about once bi-monthy, and performance does not degrade nearly as much as with positive flow. Performance is better overall in every case I have used, probably because that's how they are designed. Regards.
Please supply some supporting data w/ links for 'exhaust pressure is required under the ATX specifications'.

Yes, most cases come with exhaust fans .. same as most cases come with fans with such low pressure ratings they are almost worthless.

Please supply supporting data w/ links as to why if only one fan it should be exhaust.

Again, please supply supporting data w/ links for 'positive configuraitons are more noisy than negative'.

While I'm not saying bullring and modding since 1998 hasn't given you experience, I will say it does not mean that experience always give you the correct or best results. All depends on too many things to say. I've been working with airflow and cooling R&D off and on sense 1970, and I'm still learning. Sorry, but to me someone saying negative is better indicates a lack of understanding of airflow. Sure, if we were talking about pounds of difference in pressure from negative to positive it could be argued that pressurising air generates heat and lowers it's ability to absorb heat, but the minuscule difference between positive pressure air and negative pressure of air is so extremely small the differences would possibly be impossible to measure even with the most sophisticated, sensitive equipment. Even if the pressure difference was 2.0 mm H2O, it is less then the difference in pressure a change of 6 feet in elevation makes.

Please supply some proof as to why negative pressure case airflow gives better cooling than positive pressure case airflow.

Yes, filters need to be cleans just as often with positive as with negative pressure cases.

Please explain how 'filters regulate performance.' To me it's the fans that determine performance much more than the filters. If fans have the ability to overcome the resistance created by filters (and case grills, especially fancy intake ones) the case can flow plenty of clean air.

I just clean my filters about once a month. I don't need to clean components but maybe every 2-3 years, but I live in a low dust environment where humidity is about 70%, never need to water yard or garden, no kids or pets.

Again, what as negative versus positive airflow have to do with performance degradation?

Dust in a negative pressure case is more of a problem than in a positive pressure case. All we need to understand that is a little common sense to understand if all air is filtered into case (making it a positive pressure case) it will be cleaner than one with filters on vents but leaks around panels, connections, through optical drive, etc. that air with dust leaks in through into a negative pressure case.

Case airlfow can be setup to perform the same with fans pushing air into or fans pulling air out of case. We both know airflow is fluid dynamics /equal and opposite reaction / what move into case must also move out .. or .. what moves out of case must move into case. Only difference is positive pressure pushes air through case versus negative pressure case is pulling air through case. Most of the time filters on positive pressure case are in front of intake fans, same as with negative pressure case. As I keep saying the difference is positive pressure case leaks clean air out versus negative pressure leaking dusty air in.

I'm having a little trouble controlling fan speeds with the asrock software.

Is there a 3rd party program people use for this?

BTW all fans came in, have 2x 140s on the radiator, 2x 140s on the top as exhaust, and 1x 120 rear exhaust.

I'm not sure the fans on the radiator are better than the stock evga but at full speed they are very quiet.

you could try sppedfan. check jayztwocents for a good setup vid.

From what I can tell it has not been updated since 2016, is that an issue? Kinda for Asrock A-tune/bios to work. just looking for options.

Back