Famitsu gives FFXII a 40/40

steviep

Supreme [H]ardness
So FFXII joins the ranks of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, Vagrant Story, Soul Calibre, Golden Sun, and Nintendogs... the only other games to get a perfect score from Famitsu :D

http://www.gamebrink.com/?news=261
( :rolleyes: on the "largely laughable" comment)

I'll be looking forward to the PS2's swan song, if my system's DVD drive can hold out that long :p

I'm looking forward to this too, though are any of us really surprised by the score?

Yeah, what a douche. "Largely Laughable" my ass. The only one on the list that seems questionable is Nintendogs. He's probably pissed because Halo and Halo 2 didn't get 40/40 :rolleyes:

I wouldn't even question Nintendogs. These 40/40 games aren't perfect (any of them!) but there's a reason why they got the score. Nintendogs got it because not only was there ridiculously impressive AI implementation, and used every little bit of the DS... but it bridged the gap between gamers and non gamers. It was a technological marvel that they did it all on the DS. Hell, even the dogs looked great :D

But yes, I bet the idiot was wondering why GTA, Madden, and Halo didn't make that list :p
(I could just picture him "ZOMG Wind Waker was for teh Kiddiez becauz it was teh cartoonz!!!!")

Can't wait till FF 12 comes out. I didn't even play the demo that came with dragon quest 8 cause I want to be totally surprised about everything when I play it. :D

xenogears said:
Can't wait till FF 12 comes out. I didn't even play the demo that came with dragon quest 8 cause I want to be totally surprised about everything when I play it. :D

Yeah, I know a guy who is intent on not looking at any ads, not reading any reviews or watching any videos - he wants to go into it completely fresh. As for me, I won't buy it until it's $20 so there's no way I can do the same thing.

A perfect score? Whatever, I am calling BS. I got over the FF series years ago when I realized they all have the same basic story and characters, just with a new coat of paint. I could barely stand FFX's bland and predictible story. Just by looking at the screen shots I can already guess how the story will play out. The character designs are also a big turn off for me. Both the male and female ones. FF is a huge cash cow for Squeenix so no matter how repetitive or bland it gets people will still go nuts over it.

The score isn't surprising so many worship the FF series for whatever reason. Heck I don't get why so many people think Famistu is some sort of unfallible diety either, its just another video game mag.

I will be saving my money for a real RPG like Oblivian, NWN2, or Gothic 3.

But whatever floats your boat I guess.

OMG! YOu n00bz g3t pwn3d FF rulz!!111!! :D

Had to do that. Cmon, you can't tell me you didn't feel all warm and fuzzy inside when you finished FFVI and had all those little people waving at you after playing about 80+ finishing every side quest (even getting the 1MP Ribbons for all your crew from the dinosaurs)? You didn't think, "no way!" when you saw of your most powerful characters die in FFVII? Skipped the rest until FFX. Final Fantasy X was enjoyable. The bad english voice acting took away from it but the monster designs were spot-on and it did try to innovate in character designs (love it or hate it) and in obtaining skills.

MH Knights said:
A perfect score? Whatever, I am calling BS. I got over the FF series years ago when I realized they all have the same basic story and characters, just with a new coat of paint. I could barely stand FFX's bland and predictible story. Just by looking at the screen shots I can already guess how the story will play out. The character designs are also a big turn off for me. Both the male and female ones. FF is a huge cash cow for Squeenix so no matter how repetitive or bland it gets people will still go nuts over it.

Couldn't have said it any better :).

MH Knights said:

The score isn't surprising so many worship the FF series for whatever reason. Heck I don't get why so many people think Famistu is some sort of unfallible diety either, its just another video game mag.

I will be saving my money for a real RPG like Oblivian, NWN2, or Gothic 3.

But whatever floats your boat I guess.

It's obvious which type of RPGs you like ("real" ones :rolleyes: ) that doesn't mean everyone shares your opinion. No need to be all uppity about it :p

Final Fantasy is STILL to this day one of the best J-RPGs out there, love it or hate it, and despite some of the games in the series being average, they always provide you with a great, long experience. Something that can't be said for some RPGs, even some "real" ones.

The reason why Famitsu is considered high praise is because the magazine has a much better reputation than most gaming magazines on the planet (*laughs at stuff like EGM*) and hardly ever dishes out a "perfect score". Of course, you understand that even when they say perfect score, they don't mean "it's a perfect game" but rather, it is of the highest calibre you can get. If you purchase a game that has been given a perfect score by Famitsu, you're pretty much guaranteed an experience like no other.

Just because YOU think the character design is too eastern-RPG, that doesn't mean that some people don't like them, or find them humorous in some aspect. We're talking about different cultures here, something that you should respect at least. While the last few FF games have been average, that doesn't mean that they make the series a write-off, nor does it mean that Square-Enix is incapable of getting it right on FFXII either. As I said, Famitsu is careful when they dish out the 40/40 - I'll personally be looking forward to giving it a play-through, and so will many others on all sides of the Japanese borders.

This is the magazine that had FFX as #1 in the Top 100 Games of All Time. I'll rent first, thanks.

I'd take a Skies of Arcadia over FFX any day.

Everyone has their own tastes. I personally can't wait for ff 12 and prefer games like that way more to something like oblivion because i find those type of games to be bland, boring, with no good overall story to keep you interested. It's basically a game full of just mini quest after mini quest with no real goal or fun factor involved in doing those quests. The major flaw with those types of games is you never have any emotional connection to the main character or anyone for that matter. Their goal is never to tell an engaging story, but instead is to have the character just roam around in an open environment doing meaningless quests. But I guess there are people who prefer those type of games as opposed to the more fun and engaging jrpgs.

K600 said:
This is the magazine that had FFX as #1 in the Top 100 Games of All Time. I'll rent first, thanks.

I'd take a Skies of Arcadia over FFX any day.

That was from a reader poll, wasn't it? :p

steviep said:
That was from a reader poll, wasn't it? :p

Publishing something so ignorant and biased damages their credibility in my eyes. Perhaps you're more forgiving, but I'm certainly not.

I look forward to it. Just because certain FF games have been letdowns in the past does not mean this one is also a let down. I hope it's as good as they say.

K600 said:
Publishing something so ignorant and biased damages their credibility in my eyes. Perhaps you're more forgiving, but I'm certainly not.

It's a READER POLL!! lol
What are they going to do, discard the results?

How many times have you seen a poll on a site, newspaper, TV show, mag, etc... and went to yourself "wtf is wrong with people?!!" - I know I've done it a ton. And I didn't stop watching the channel/reading the newspaper/visiting the [H] or anything like that... why should you? :)

steviep said:
It's a READER POLL!! lol
What are they going to do, discard the results?

How many times have you seen a poll on a site, newspaper, TV show, mag, etc... and went to yourself "wtf is wrong with people?!!" - I know I've done it a ton. And I didn't stop watching the channel/reading the newspaper/visiting the [H] or anything like that... why should you? :)

It also says something about the magazine when they have readers that would answer in that way to a poll.

As I said, I'll rent the game first. Got a problem with it? TFB.

I don't have a problem at all with you renting first. In fact, I may do the same after FFX. That said, it's kind if inane IMO to blanket an opinion on something based on others' tastes :p

I never got into the FF series at all .. not a big fan of turn based action. It always seemed to lack any action.

I might have to check out the new FF if its really hailed this much. Of course, months after release for a discounted price ;)

Relax guys, no need to get your panties in a bunch over a game we haven't had any seat time with.

I'm personally all ramped up for XII, love the entire FF series overall, but I do think it had its low points for me (VIII and IX).

theNoid said:
I never got into the FF series at all .. not a big fan of turn based action. It always seemed to lack any action.

I might have to check out the new FF if its really hailed this much. Of course, months after release for a discounted price ;)

IMO, FF is very character driven. Square is very good at coming up with fun and compelling characters that you really grow to like. Some are just dumb though (everyone in FFX (to wierd and annoying) and FFVIII (to boring) ).

deathBOB said:
IMO, FF is very character driven. Square is very good at coming up with fun and compelling characters that you really grow to like. Some are just dumb though (everyone in FFX).

Interesting, I'll have to check out the series I guess.

See I never owned any older Nintendo systems that had FF on it. I remember friends who had it, but the game bored me fast. When Square jumped ship to Sony, I never caught on because I was an avid pc gamer who detested the idea of an underpowered console.

Now older, I just want to have some fun and trying new things may prove fun :)

VII and X for me are two of the most amazing games I think I've ever played.

Now you'll get a lot of varying opinion on which is the best, but most of us agree it's a great series.

I didn't like X that much because of no overworld, but I loved VII. I still play III (VI) when I go home.

The GBA and DS are getting all the remakes (incl 3D for the DS) of the older ones so I'm definately looking forward to playing those, if I ever get the time between my other DS games and my newfangled gaming rig :p

I played the demo and it was a new change. The new battle system takes a little getting used to as you move around in the battle and no more random battles.

I'll probably pick it up when it comes out (sometime in the fall supposedly?). Usually you can find new games for 40$ if you look around a for a few weeks ie Frys.

Rich Tate said:

Now you'll get a lot of varying opinion on which is the best, but most of us agree it's a great series.

QFT

It is a great series, with its lull like any other series. It is true however in that if you don't like turn based games, then you won't like this series. Same with people who don't like turned based strategy/war games. I myself prefer the Action RPG (Secret of Mana for teh w1n :D ) but I always enjoyed the stories of the series in general and the strategy elements that Turn Based RPG's offer.

chojin_1999 said:
It is a great series, with its lull like any other series. It is true however in that if you don't like turn based games, then you won't like this series. Same with people who don't like turned based strategy/war games. I myself prefer the Action RPG (Secret of Mana for teh w1n :D ) but I always enjoyed the stories of the series in general and the strategy elements that Turn Based RPG's offer.

Is it just me or is Secret of Mana the only good mana game? I haven't played Seiken Densetsu 3 (the jap-only snes release), but sword of mana and legend of mana were rather mediocre. I prefer action rpg's to turn-based ones, but I've played a lot of FF in my day.

You are correct. Seiken Densetsu 3 had shit for coop, because A) only two player support, instead of 3 player, and B) pauses for ALL players, when executing ANY spells/skills. Fucking pain in the ass. So Pause game when openning menu system Pause game when skill is executed. Pause game when PARTNER opens menus. Pause game when PARTNER executes skill. Pause game when ENEMY executes skill... In Secret of Mana (Seiken Densetsu 2) gameplay only paused when menus were openned (perfectly reasonable), and only ONLY for the character/enemy experiencing the effects of a spell. Standing around playing with your dick while you wait for an enemy to cast a spell on your partner is fucking gay, and EVERYONE at Squaresoft needs to be shot for thinking this was an acceptable. Oh yeah... let's fucking get rid of the universal ring menu system which worked brilliantly in Seiken Densetsu 2, and use aslow loading, and fucking unresponsive tiled menu system for character management options.

There are a lot of reasons to have faith in humanity, but Seiken Densetsu 3 is DEFFINITELY not one of them. A lot of people really enjoy the game. I say they all have their heads in their ass by believing they will see more Square RPGs by liking any and everything that never got localized. Fucking ass hats. Mana was great by itself, and SD3 is OK by itself, but Mana was pure gold when played with one or more friends. SD3 is complete and total trash with a friend, and even if you COULD play with more than one friend, it would be an unenjoyable experience as you sit and wait for both of your friend to stop selecting and executing their spells/skills. Arg...

All of this was off topic. Sorry, but whenever I think about how savagely the Mana series got butt raped it really pisses me off.

To be topical, I am really looking forward to FFXII. The random encounter formula was really getting tired in ANY RPG, it is nice to see them not only compeltely done away with, but finally bringing back something of a Chrono Trigger system, where encounters exist and occur on the world map itself. The fact the whole thing is dynamic, instead of a static scripting of encounters like Chrono Trigger makes it even more exciting! Giving players the flexibility to completely control every action of their party members, to literally giving complete control to the AI is even better, on top of WAIT, of ACTIVE mode. I don't see any reason for anyone who enjoys console (jRPGs) to not enjoy this game, because it can feasibly be played like just about any of your more favorite jRPG. It should even do most of it rather well.

Gameplay aside, I am not terribly interested in the world design... running around with swords, while full scale arial battles rage over ahead, complete with plasma weaponry... fucking bullshit. Stop jerking my cock, Squaresoft. You are fooling no one with your fantasy world. Suspension of disbelief is a very important dynamic. Once you start whipping out those super badassu hyperu realistiu cinematicsu, you need ot maintain some degree of synergy. Plasma weaponry, Robots could exist perfectly along sides swords and socery in Chrono Trigger, because of the comical atmosphere. NOT where the butt cheeks of bunny women jiggle reaslistically to the physical viscosity of fat cells. All though, I am not complaining about the above, and will also use the provided arguement to support an enjoyable, fantasy atmosphere. :) The point still remains. Producers at Squarenix are completely retarded.

At least the gameplay in FFXII should be great. Beyond that, everything is spice, but I enjoyed the demo which came with Dragon Quest VIII. If it is polished, and provides more options, along side a logical and flexible character development system, then it should easily be worth my 50 bucks. 40/40 quality? Who fucking cares. Games have two ratings in my book. On of Off. As in, on my TV, or not. If I simply do not have fun with a game it is a 0. If I am having fun, it gets a 100%. I don't care how it does it, though I will bitch and moan during my critical analysis, I just want to be entertained.

God damn, I need a life.

Rich Tate said:

I just couldn't get over the characters in X, I didn't like them, especially not tidus. I had a dog named tidus once :(.

deathBOB said:
I just couldn't get over the characters in X, I didn't like them, especially not tidus. I had a dog named tidus once :(.

I'll give you that but Lulu was hot and Auron was a piece. ;)

Rich Tate said:
I'll give you that but Lulu was hot and Auron was a piece. ;)

Auron was the older dude right? He was pretty cool. And Lulu was hot :D

OMFG! Kiggles, your review is the best EVA! Dude, post some more reviews in the console forums.

Rich Tate said:
Relax guys, no need to get your panties in a bunch over a game we haven't had any seat time with.

I'm personally all ramped up for XII, love the entire FF series overall, but I do think it had its low points for me (VIII and IX).

You didn't like IX ? IMO IX was the 2nd best of the entire series (VII being my favorite). It really felt like it went back to the roots like III and VI.

VIII was definately a big let down... the story was just so cold. X was sort of a letdown for me too, I just couldn't care about any of the characters. X and VIII are the only two I got bored with and stopped playing before they were done.

I am definately looking forward to XII Though, hope the US release isn't too far away.

NulloModo said:
You didn't like IX ? IMO IX was the 2nd best of the entire series (VII being my favorite). It really felt like it went back to the roots like III and VI.

VIII was definately a big let down... the story was just so cold. X was sort of a letdown for me too, I just couldn't care about any of the characters. X and VIII are the only two I got bored with and stopped playing before they were done.

I am definately looking forward to XII Though, hope the US release isn't too far away.

I thought IX was pretty good, but it just didn't make it for me. I've yammered on about this before - IX had a lot of things it could have said about humanity and identity, but it just didn't. If the game had had an actual message it could have been great.

IX killed me because the plot really didn't get rolling until 20 hours into the game. The plot just bothered me. I felt like they spent to much time paying homage and not enough on the game itself.

Rich Tate said:
IX killed me because the plot really didn't get rolling until 20 hours into the game. The plot just bothered me. I felt like they spent to much time paying homage and not enough on the game itself.

Yeah I hear that. You're playing and playing and playing and playing and playing and playing then BAM Zidane is meant to kill everything and zomg we have a plot. Interesting how the first plot point is the question of where Vivi came from, yet it's never resolved....

Back