family computer slow like crazy!

DJ PiLLz

n00b
ok, there is this family computer that we all use for websurfing and thats it. it is a 500mhz amd k6 with 2x 128 100mhz ram and 56k modem, there are little programs that we need. and also a 20gb 7200rpm hd which was donated from my p4 system. it has win xp and only norton firewall starts in start up. the computer VERYYY SLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i cleared the internet cache, same problem, cleared cookies. same, did defrag ment, adaware scan and virus scan. same crap it is slowwwwwwwwwww
a few weeks a go it wasnt that slow. but now it is dying. the fans and evertything is working. what the fuck is wrong???

Typically, this is caused by someone installing bullshit toolbars and other stupid web shit. You mentioned quite a bit of steps you tried, so you've eliminated a lot of causes. Check to see if there are odd things installed like that. Those tend to run ni the background and make family computers crawl.

Xp requires a minimum of 128 megs of ram alone to run, and anything Norton is a memory hog. You need more ram.

Originally posted by napsterhaven
Xp requires a minimum of 128 megs of ram alone to run, and anything Norton is a memory hog. You need more ram.

He said that a few weeks ago it wasnt running that slow, so I do not believe that is the problem.

DJ Pillz I agree with djnes. Look for any programs that are starting up when you load windows. Also look for gay toolbars.

Try running this program to see what is starting up with windows.
startup control panel

Make sure you have your chipset drivers installed.

....djnes is right; look for a bunch of programs that start on boot and make them go away. Delete all the temp files; clear the browser cache. Defrag.

Have you recently done a virus scan / AdAware scan with current signiture files? You could have some bot / spyware running in the background, too......

Good Luck - B.B.S.

if you running a 500mhz or slower, and using modem day software etc... you need a format every 6 months or so to clean it up. If you format you'll be ok.

Originally posted by theNoid
if you running a 500mhz or slower, and using modem day software etc... you need a format every 6 months or so to clean it up. If you format you'll be ok.
Originally posted by RemisGodly
Format.
While formatting will likely fix the issue, it's not necesary. As far as formatting a machine, it doesn't matter what the hardware is, the only reason to format and reinstall is when the problem is to obscure to figure out, or it's so hosed you like won't fix everything. It's irrelevant what the hardware is, formatting only solved software issues. You just don't notice the 'slow downs' on a faster machine as much.

Aside from the mentioned things, what OS is it? 9x based OSes have different needs than NT based ones.

Format or go to "Run" and type in "MSCONFIG" look for a tab that says startup and uncheck all the bullshit you dont need.

Originally posted by DJ PiLLz
56k modem.......VERYYY SLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with the ones saying check for toolbars etc. But if it will take more than an hour or so to track down the issue reinstalling may be less time consuming. especially for an email box.

Originally posted by angrybusdriver
Yes, toolbars of the homosexual variety tend to be much more dangerous than straight toolbars.

:rolleyes:

Yes, they are. :D
The only useful toolbar on the net is the google toobar, and maybe yahoo's.

try reseting your tcp/ip - helps sometimes

netsh int ip reset log.txt

reboot after you run it.

That computer sounds like my dad's. The only difference is he has 192MB memory and about 100GBs in hard drive space... and hasn't reformatted the computer since before Windows XP came out.

Write all your bios settings down, clear CMOS and restart, set all your bios settings back and continue. If that doesn't work, then how is your time on your clock doing? Does it continually run behind? If so, then maybe you need a new CMOS battery. Most MBs take CR2032 3 volt batteries. Should be able to find them in the calculator/watch battery section. Only try this as a last resort before reinstalling OS. If your MB is over 4 years old, then replacing the battery is probably not a bad idea anyway.

Back