Familiar with Symantec Client Security?

PopeKevinI

2[H]4U
I was wondering if anyone here has used this product?

Link to product site

I was surfing my vendor's catalog for AV software and noticed a 50-pack for this. I'd never seen it before, and was wondering if anyone had any real-world experience with it.

I'll be installing it on about 40 PCs.

I have had a lot of expierience with it. Got about 30 comps running with it. I got to admit its ten times better then any other Norton retail scanner.

What you want to know about it.

Absolutely love it. Got 40 clients here running it.

It makes life so much easier on me.

Mostly I'm curious how it compares to corporate edition NAV, how it handles definition updates (whether I can pull them down to a central server and distribute from there, et cetera), stuff like that.

I want to make sure I don't get stuck with a product that doesn't do what I need it to. Symantec certainly makes it sound nice.

PopeKevinl,

The Symantec Client Security software is a combination of Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition (8.x+) and Symantec Client Firewall. Actually when you run Symantec Client Security, is kind of a misnomer, as it infers one product, when there really are two.

A nice feature is that if you are used to the Symantec System Console, you can manage both policies.

It has really become a better than their first version.

I kind of thought that might be the case, but Symantec never outright stated that it was Corp. NAV.

I think I just found my AV package of choice :)

Whats also cool, is that both symantec corp av and the symantec client security are supposed to play a big part in Cisco's Self Defending Network Initiative.

THis allows a machine to be checked for antivirus definition dates, windows patch levels *before* its allowed on the network. If it doesn't meet your set levels, it gets kicked out into a pvlan where it can be patched before being allowed into the network.

Also on last thing on the Symantec client security. It is a bit expensive. I currently have a Symantec Antivirus Enterprise Edition license (covers desktop, servers, gateway, exchange/notes,proxy) and upgrading a part of the license to sym client security was still expensive. (i think around 25 - 30 dollars a client).

Its also prevents to from reactiving how ever many copies of the retail version of Norton as well, which Symantec just jumped the price from $15 to $30 now. Its just nice that the server gets the updates and applies it to all the clients, once less thing to worry about.

Every single one of my clients who has a retail home machine with a virus problem I tell them to get Norton on the machine, you just simply cannot afford to have some kinda AV on your business machine/laptop these days. Course, I should follow my own advice and get it on my machine but AV has a tendancy of not playing with my gaming sessions well:D

I realy like the pushes. Makes installations very easy. My problem with Nav is that it doesn't pick up some viruses it has the definitions for. I am going to try and use AVG Network edition. 10 Cal's (which include the workstation AVG) is only 350 Dollars USD. Its dirt cheap plus it has 2 year subscription. I tru AVG over Nav because where it fails AVG picks up and cleans up. As for the symantec firewall I ran into to many problems with specialized configuration for certain apps. I accidentally shut down a Licence server access for Cad, engineers were pretty upset with me. Hehe

Back