Fallout NV (PC) 29.99 at Best Buy

Yeh, I saw this is the little best buy mailout thing inisde my newspaper. Mafia 2 PC is also 30$.

hmm how long that on sale for I can grab it for free at that price with my GC from work..

If you have a rewards zone account, log in and check it since they are giving members either $10 (Regular members) or $20 (Silver members) Certificates for the holidays. Certificate expires 12/25/2010.

the evil steam should have it on sale pretty soon, i will buy it then

the evil steam should have it on sale pretty soon, i will buy it then

You may know... but it doesn't matter where you buy it from as it becomes a steam game when you install it. Even D2D's version works from steam.

Maybe if were lucky it has a level cap of 10 but not mention it in the manual or anywhere else. I love suprises after I invest 20-30 hours in a game.

How is this compared to Fallout 3?

I didn't like 3 very much. I prefer shooters and this wasn't much of one. I knew it was more of an RPG so I didnt think it would do it for me but tried it anyway. Played for a couple hours and haven't touched it since Is New Vegas along the same lines or is it more shooter now.

I didn't like 3 very much. I prefer shooters and this wasn't much of one. I knew it was more of an RPG so I didnt think it would do it for me but tried it anyway. Played for a couple hours and haven't touched it since Is New Vegas along the same lines or is it more shooter now.

It's 3 with some changes minor changes at that.

Well, this is going to sound weird, but;

It plays more like an RPG
It plays more like an FPS.

The role playing stuff plays a larger role. You'll spend more time playing up the various factions, either aligning, or destroying them. It never made sense in FO3 for the BoS to take in a crazed canibal who was infamous for slaughtering every beggar he ran into. "You know where you can get purified water? IN HELL!"

The combat stuff plays more like an FPS. If you didn't play the PC version of FO3, you never got iron sights. NV took a look at some of the more popular PC mods and incorporated that stuff. You have different ammo types, AP, slugs, etc. You'll most likely never use VATS in NV, as shooting through your sights/scope is accurate. You'll find certain creatures just soak up bullets, though.

Your choice of weapon and ammo you're using is pretty important, now.

You may know... but it doesn't matter where you buy it from as it becomes a steam game when you install it. Even D2D's version works from steam.

What? You aren't saying that even a boxed copy bought from Best Buy ends up needing a steam account are you?

What? You aren't saying that even a boxed copy bought from Best Buy ends up needing a steam account are you?

Yes, even the box copy has to phone home to steam servers for the initial activation. Yeah, you will need an account.

Pretty hard to be a PC gamer these days if you refuse to play anything that requires Steam...

You're missing out.

Yep, it's sad. But I have to draw the line somewhere. This tells me that there is probably zero chance that ES: Skyrim won't need a Steam account. Oh well. I am getting older anyway. I will either just give up gaming or move to a console. They have won.

Actually what I will probably do is only buy from GOG.com. Just have to wait alot longer.

Last edited:
how in hell have you been pc gaming without having at least one title on Steam? have you never played Half Life 2, TF2, Portal, L4D or any other Valve games? not to mention the many non Valve games that require activation on Steam.

how in hell have you been pc gaming without having at least one title on Steam? have you never played Half Life 2, TF2, Portal, L4D or any other Valve games? not to mention the many non Valve games that require activation on Steam.

Nope, played none of them. Probably makes me not an actual PC gamer I guess huh?

Nope, played none of them. Probably makes me not an actual PC gamer I guess huh?
what do you play then because most major games require Steam? btw the cheap prices during Steam sales is what has kept many of us from switching to consoles.

Can anyone verify if the $10 reward zone coupon can be used to reduce the price to $20 at best buy?

what do you play then because most major games require Steam?

Well, mostly I have been hemmed in. Purchased a few over the past few years (some still sealed in the box as I buy them and then play the cracked versions when necessary):

Lots and lots of hours into -

the STALKER series
Oblivion (Recently Nehrim - a rockin total conversion of Oblivion)
Fallout 3

Wanted Metro 2033 but didn't get it. Thought about Dragon Age Origins and The Witcher but didn't get those either. I almost bought Borderlands. That one looked cool for linear shooter. I am not into shooters very much. I had planned to buy Fallout NV pretty soon which is why this thread piqued my interest. I tend to prefer and buy good, sandbox type, first person RPG's. I do have Mass Effect 2 on the way. It supposedly only has a disk check. We'll see about that one. I really wanted to play Mass Effect but wouldn't buy it because of the DRM. Now I guess the next game I will buy will probably be The Witcher 2.

If you have a rewards zone account, log in and check it since they are giving members either $10 (Regular members) or $20 (Silver members) Certificates for the holidays. Certificate expires 12/25/2010.

THANK YOU!!!! I just checked my Reward Zone account and i got a $20 certificate.

Order Total (charged to credit card): $10.86

I tried to add an existing $10 certificate but those assholes wouldn't let me buy the game with discounts equal to the price of game. :p

I wouldn't have bought this game if Steamworks wasn't supported, I'm so glad it was for this price.

Last edited:
I just checked mine and I certainly did not get a certificate. :confused:

Shoot! Wish I had waited for the Amazon one to become available. I had checked but it was more epxensive at the time.

This game is a ton of fun. I have run into many quest breaking bugs tho. Nothing that can't be fixed with a quick wiki search and some console commands. But still a bit of a pain.

If you play straight through I suspect less bugs most of mine were caused by stumbling on quests while exploring and skipping the first 1/2 and doing things out of order.

Once you register with Steam you can play off-line as well as on-line. Plus Steam offers instant game updates when online and the opportunity to try/buy other games. I don't see why some feel a STEAM account is a game negative.

Once you register with Steam you can play off-line as well as on-line. Plus Steam offers instant game updates when online and the opportunity to try/buy other games. I don't see why some feel a STEAM account is a game negative.

You don't huh? Go to that Amazon link and read the 1 star reviews. I hadn't even realized it but, apparently, when you buy the boxed version, you aren't really buying the game at all. Or not all of it anyway. It isn't playable. Apparently you are buying a DVD that lets you rent the game through Steam. Many of the reviewers said that there is a mandatory 300MB "update" that makes the game playable. One guy was super pissed because he has dialup and the mandatory update said it would take 16 days to complete. He actually waited the 16 days and the update didn't install successfully. Another guy is a soldier stationed somewhere where they do not allow Steam through the firewall. He gets the game and can't even play it. Said he read something about online activation but nothing about Steam being mandatory.

IMO, Steam is just another means of control. They make things "convenient" so people get sucked in. I guess that's the way of the world though. Even the things you think you are buying nowadays, you don't really own.

Back