Fallout fans?

jmanlp

Limp Gawd
Are there any fans of the Fallout games here? I've been thinking about them a lot lately very nostalgically... I don't think I've ever felt so deep in a game then when I was playing those. I mean I could barely put it down at night and sleep wondering what places or what part of the storry would unfold the next day. I just wish another one was coming soon.

Yeah they were great games.
FO 3 is a long ways off. *sniff*
Probably not until 2008 or even later...

I dono if we will ever see a Fallout 3 for pc..

I loved the first 2, tactics was ok, and then the console one was just lame..

Fallout 3 is already in the works. Bethesda bought the rights to it some time ago.

definately dug out my fallout 2 discs the other day.

mmmmm hmmmm.

fallout 1 and 2....

Id recommend hitting up some jagged alliance 2 as well, if you havent already.

Palooka said:
Fallout 3 is already in the works. Bethesda bought the rights to it some time ago.

Aquiring the rights and it being "in the works" are very different.

Bethesda needs to get off their asses and work on Fallout 3.

Morrowind was a bore fest in my opinion. I hope they don't drop the ball on FO 3.

SwanBeeCh said:
definately dug out my fallout 2 discs the other day.

mmmmm hmmmm.

fallout 1 and 2....

Id recommend hitting up some jagged alliance 2 as well, if you havent already.

Hmmm, I've actually never heard of that game but I looked at it a little and I think I'll have to give it a go.

Does anyone else have some game recomendations for a person that loved the fallout games?

www.the-fall.com

It's not out in English yet, but I've been looking forward to it for a while and many people that have played it have said it's a very very good rpg and has an atmosphere similar to fallout.

jmanlp said:
Are there any fans of the Fallout games here? I've been thinking about them a lot lately very nostalgically... I don't think I've ever felt so deep in a game then when I was playing those. I mean I could barely put it down at night and sleep wondering what places or what part of the storry would unfold the next day. I just wish another one was coming soon.

I think about the game nostalgically also (sign of getting old?). The game was incredibly immersive and atmospheric. The whole post-apocalyptic premise was genius. The ending was amazing, brilliant and thought provoking. After all that you have been through you're outcast once more

Sadly there won't be a sequel like the originals. Fallout 3 with the Morrowind engine sounds dodgy, how will the tactics work with Morrowind's appalling combat system? Still it'll be interesting to see what they come up with at Bethesda!

Stiler said:
www.the-fall.com

It's not out in English yet, but I've been looking forward to it for a while and many people that have played it have said it's a very very good rpg and has an atmosphere similar to fallout.

lol SUV impaled onto a stick, take that soccer moms!

Fallout 1 and 2 were amazing gaming experiences, personally. Now if only modern games could compete with them...

I too am a big fan of fallout. I just replayed Fo2 again and finally beat FoT (which really is not all that bad)

I highly recommand checking out the "no mutants allowed" or "duck and cover" or "radioated sociaty" sites. People have made amazing mods and addons for FO1,2 and Tactics. (For example there is a mod that let you play FO2 in resolution up to 1600x1200!! :eek: it is buggy though.)

I tried the FO2 with a MI288(sp?) mega mod pack which added a bunch of new stuff (quests in arroyo, klamath, and items even the ability to drive a vertibird as your car! :) )

FoT is very fun too. If you haven't tried it I actually recommend it. Yes it doesn't have much RPG dialogues. But the story is actually pretty good, each mission takes a lot of planning, and a lot of time. The graphics are sharp too. best of all, it comes with a very powerful editor to boot!

So yeah, we all want FO3, but in the mean time, give the old games a try

The next Fallout adventure will be for real :eek:

given the track record for the last few attempts at game development :( .

Fallout 1 & 2 don't play nice with XP unless you run graphics in software mode. Which reminds me, gotta get that 98se box up and running one of these days; Panzer General doesn't run AT ALL on XP.

eggrock said:
Fallout 1 & 2 don't play nice with XP unless you run graphics in software mode. Which reminds me, gotta get that 98se box up and running one of these days; Panzer General doesn't run AT ALL on XP.

Actually not entirely true. If you manually "install" the files I know for a fact that FO2 will work fine.

From No Mutants Allowed website, the instruction to get FO1 and 2 working with winXp
http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=1593

I loved all the Fallout games and still have them all on ISO on my computer (as I've probably long lost the cds). Just need a Fallout MMO...

Also a Fallout fan. The detail that went into the opening movies, and the way the music fit the atmosphere, the turn-based combat, the storyline - everything conspired to provide an experience where you really felt that you were "there".

I always describe the best games as like "being in a great book - but having more choice". Fallout definitely fit the bill.

Volkum said:
I loved all the Fallout games and still have them all on ISO on my computer (as I've probably long lost the cds). Just need a Fallout MMO...

Fallout mmo would be badass, course bioware would have to make it. Post apocalyptic and mmo has the potential to be alot of fun.

lethial said:
I too am a big fan of fallout. I just replayed Fo2 again and finally beat FoT (which really is not all that bad)

I highly recommand checking out the "no mutants allowed" or "duck and cover" or "radioated sociaty" sites. People have made amazing mods and addons for FO1,2 and Tactics. (For example there is a mod that let you play FO2 in resolution up to 1600x1200!! :eek: it is buggy though.)

I tried the FO2 with a MI288(sp?) mega mod pack which added a bunch of new stuff (quests in arroyo, klamath, and items even the ability to drive a vertibird as your car! :) )

FoT is very fun too. If you haven't tried it I actually recommend it. Yes it doesn't have much RPG dialogues. But the story is actually pretty good, each mission takes a lot of planning, and a lot of time. The graphics are sharp too. best of all, it comes with a very powerful editor to boot!

So yeah, we all want FO3, but in the mean time, give the old games a try

Yeah, FoT is a great game. That, Civ, and MOO2 are almost always on my computer. Oh, and Transport Tycoon. I just can't seem to get into the newer games now.

Sifu said:
Also a Fallout fan. The detail that went into the opening movies, and the way the music fit the atmosphere, the turn-based combat, the storyline - everything conspired to provide an experience where you really felt that you were "there".

I always describe the best games as like "being in a great book - but having more choice". Fallout definitely fit the bill.

This is exactally how I feel, it wasn't just the game, everytime that opening movie would play and the music. The 1950s era depiction of future technology. Its all genius, you just don't see that much depth to games anymore. The Fall looks very good and I am a huge fan of Mad Max style also, so I will have to try it, but there is something more to Fallout than the post apoctoliptic worlds seen in other movies and games. If they ever make a fallout MMO sign me up. I think Bethseda could do a really good job with Fallout 3, I don't even think it has to be turn based or isometric even. It just has to set the mood and the atmosphere the same as fallout did. I think thats why tactics didn't quite do as good as the others (although I loved the multiplayer). I hope they do the series justice by keeping all the aspect that made Fallout, Fallout...

Jeriko_Cherry said:
What's the best mod for Fallout 2, any that let you pick more Perks at a time?

I don't think there is a mod that let you pick more perks. However, there are many editors like Falche that let you edit your character any way you like.

There are a lot of interesting mods that people made. The mega pack that I played FO2 with included bunch of them, and it really gave me a different experience at the beginning stages.

@the idea of fallout MMO.
I am not sure if I want to see a fallout MMO. Like others have said. Everything in fallout games are carefully put together, to immerse you in the universe and make you feel that youare there. The detail and the relative openess of the game made the world believable and memorable. On top of all this, there is the story line and the awesome dialogs.

IMHO In a MMO much of what made fallout great would be lost.

lethial said:
I don't think there is a mod that let you pick more perks. However, there are many editors like Falche that let you edit your character any way you like.

There are a lot of interesting mods that people made. The mega pack that I played FO2 with included bunch of them, and it really gave me a different experience at the beginning stages.

I'm downloading that Falche now, thanks for the reply. Know where can I get this mega pack?

rfwinters77 said:
Aquiring the rights and it being "in the works" are very different.

Bethesda needs to get off their asses and work on Fallout 3.

Morrowind was a bore fest in my opinion. I hope they don't drop the ball on FO 3.

Yeah they are only in the concept phase. They've said they won't actually start working on it until after OBL is shipped. So you figure a minimum of 2 years, probably 3. That's why I said 2008 or later.

Jeriko_Cherry said:
Thanks! I'll check that out. :)

np, hope you enjoy it! and loose hours of sleep yet again like I did :)

But just a word of caution:

The new vision mod that came with the pack made extensive additions and modifications to the starting cities of FO2. New quests are added, and some existing quests are changed a bit. So don't just follow walkthroughs that you find for the beginning cities. Esp. for the quest in Klemeth that requires you to clean out rats and ultimately the rat king.
Another heads up would be that if you do everything right and earn enough reputation in arroyo at the very very beginning of the game (just after you pass the trial) then you have the option to become a shaman.

have fun

I felt the same way about fallout as I did about games like Space Quest, Police Quest, Sam and Max, Dune etc.It's sad that games like this are few and far between these days.

yeah, it would be really nice if bethesda get fallout3 complete.
Until then I will play fallout2 with mods and stuff. ;)

Another excellent, even more old school, game is Star Control II, which you can download for free as the Ur-Quan Masters on the net.

It came out on the PC in 91 or so - and I never heard of it because I was still on my C64 at the time.

Anyway, I played it in a DOS emulator and I thought it was an incredible future RPG. It's full of fantastic voice acting, great music, and cool mini-games. I found it really compelling. That's probably the test of a truly great game: even though the graphics may stink by today's standards, the gameplay is really compelling.

While it would be cool to see a Fallout 3 done right, I suppose I'm more excited by new games that will be of the same caliber as the original. Sequels just have a poor track record.

peacetilence said:
I felt the same way about fallout as I did about games like Space Quest, Police Quest, Sam and Max, Dune etc.It's sad that games like this are few and far between these days.
sigh games now lack a lot of the souls that the devs used to put in them...

So many "macdonald" games -- games that are cheap to make and can generate lots of quick money. (think reality TVs...)

On another note, I cannot believe games like that 50 cent game sold so well... sigh

you bet your ass im a fallout fan :) I own every fallout game made so far. and I am currently replaying thru fallout 1 just to move onto fallout 2 by weeks end :)
I just simply love the game!
now I just wish someone would make another syndicate or syndicate wars game :(

fallout was a great game. Sucks that fallout 3 WILL NEVER COME OUT. Its like duke forever. lolo

Ron1jed said:
fallout was a great game. Sucks that fallout 3 WILL NEVER COME OUT. Its like duke forever. lolo

Umm, it will come out, Beth is just working on it...

Why would they have spent the money to buy the liscense and then just....sit on it?

Not to mention that Pete Hines of Bethsoft said that they've started development on Fallout 3, so we know they're not sitting on it. Of course, this doesn't mean that it'll come out, but it certainly seems more likely than not.

jmanlp said:
This is exactally how I feel, it wasn't just the game, everytime that opening movie would play and the music. The 1950s era depiction of future technology.QUOTE]

Ahh yes the music by The Inkspots, great stuff

Back