Fallout 4 VR Review

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
So we are hoping to get into Fallout 4 VR testing here soon, and while I have seen some comments about the new VR version of this game, VRFocus has a fairly in-depth review posted that gives us a bit of insight as to performance.

Check out the video.

Straight from the off Fallout 4 VR looks amazing. For such a demanding title – Bethesda recommends an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 as the minimum GPU, yet VRFocus used a GTX 1060 – it runs very well on HTC Vive. Sure it’s not got that same crisp quality you’d get on a HD TV but that first time you look over the rubble of Sanctuary after leaving the vault is a glorious moment, especially now that you’re actually standing there.

When will devs working on VR stuff realize no one wants to see floating guns or hands in VR?

Reactions: MV75
like this
Played it, love it, Christmas vacation starts next Monday.

I still miss taking dick shots in VATS.

I may try this out. I never could get into Fallout 4 so maybe the VR version might stick for me...

Been watching twitch.tv/BurkeBlack play this while wearing a Vault suit. After some tweaks he got it to stream and play great.

Dude, just look at the video picture you posted. A floating pipboy. That is just so ridiculously stupid. VR blows with the weightless floating guns and objects. The minigun that waves around like a pool noodle. lol. Totally retarded.
What system and games do you own?

I think he meant we don't want to see them float, disembodied.
They should be connected to a torso that moves sort of appropriately, like Lone Echo.
I think most of that is done to not block your field of vision as you are flailing your arms around.

If it's like regular Fallout 4, you can't see anything when in stealth, even the pip-boy when using it half the time.

Anyone know if the hack to play it on Rift makes it playable? I thought there was some fundamental control thing for movement that wasn't working easily with the Oculus Rift hands because they lack the touchpad......can anyone confirm???

Dude, just look at the video picture you posted. A floating pipboy. That is just so ridiculously stupid. VR blows with the weightless floating guns and objects. The minigun that waves around like a pool noodle. lol. Totally retarded.

It doesn't look stupid when you raise your own arm up and the pip boy moves with it, it only looks stupid on a screenshot or a 2D video....in the game world, it's completely natural. How often do you look at your own arms...you don't, you look at whatever you are holding in your hand at the time.....your arm is just there. In the game world, since they can't track the position of your elbow or the rotation of your shoulder, they can't "perfectly guess" as to the position of your arm as you move it around..they can track your hands, but your arms....are your elbows up? Or are they tucked...the game can't tell that, so they don't try to guess at it.

It doesn't look stupid when you raise your own arm up and the pip boy moves with it, it only looks stupid on a screenshot or a 2D video....in the game world, it's completely natural. How often do you look at your own arms...you don't, you look at whatever you are holding in your hand at the time.....your arm is just there. In the game world, since they can't track the position of your elbow or the rotation of your shoulder, they can't "perfectly guess" as to the position of your arm as you move it around..they can track your hands, but your arms....are your elbows up? Or are they tucked...the game can't tell that, so they don't try to guess at it.

Don't waste your time. It's just another person that's never tried VR having an opinion he's not informed enough to have.

I think he meant we don't want to see them float, disembodied.
They should be connected to a torso that moves sort of appropriately, like Lone Echo.

I really thought Lone Echo was actually tracking my arms for a while, they deduced arm movement very well.

Don't waste your time. It's just another person that's never tried VR having an opinion he's not informed enough to have.

It's not their fault, it's like explaining the forth dimension to someone. They just can't understand it until they experience it.

When will devs working on VR stuff realize no one wants to see floating guns or hands in VR?
Yeah that was my first thought, "wtf is with the floating gun, they couldn't attach an arm to it like in a FPS game?"

First and foremost, if you're ever played VR you'll know this isn't a problem.

Secondly, think about how it plain wouldn't work. Do the following two separate motions:
  1. Keep your elbow pointing to the ground and twist your wrist 90 degrees from a thumbs up to a sideways thumbs up (perpendicular to the ground).
  2. Keep your wrist at the thumbs up angle to the ground but move your elbow out so that it is 90 degrees from the ground pointing out to your side then twist your wrist to a sideways thumb position
Both scenarios will track your wrist accurately and identically with current Vive and Rift set ups but it won't track your arm movement the same way leading to 'loss of immersion' because the virtual arm wouldn't following your own. Approximating arm/elbow placement is currently a pure guessing game and you're going to end up with limbs that don't follow your own which would lead to weirder perceived in game motions. Lone Echo is weird in this regard. It leads to overly stretched out looking limbs or limbs that are awkwardly hitching to wrist movements (though that isn't to say it doesn't look good most of the time).

Keep in mind that all currently available VR solutions only track the controllers which is basically only tracking your wrist movement/placement within a 3D space. Wrist movement and position is not indicative of your entire arm movement.

The floating wrist is the best they can do, and if you've ever played VR, it isn't even remotely an issue. Quit tossing in your two cents if you've never even donned a headset.

Last edited:
As opposed to real life where we have transparent limbs?

And yes you can emulate arm movements in VR, its been done before. You cant see your real arm in relation to the world so it doesnt matter.
I am just saying that I think it is done to make gameplay better, that is all.

As opposed to real life where we have transparent limbs?

And yes you can emulate arm movements in VR, its been done before. You cant see your real arm in relation to the world so it doesnt matter.

You can't see your real arm but you know if your elbow is up or down. I'm partially with you, though. It shouldn't have taken much for them to show a hand and maybe a slice of forearm with guns and the pip-boy. That would have at least struck a bit of a middle ground instead of the floating stuff. In the VR games that I've played the best ones show at least the hands grabbing guns and pulling triggers.

I own an Oculus..and sorry but he is right. It just seems a small group of VR supporters have deluded themselves into believing that it is better than it really is because they so badly want it to be, not because it is. VR remains absolutely terrible because of a long list of reasons the least of which being that devs continue to program for it like it is some 1980's demo with all the obnoxious floaty shit.

To all of the people defending this and people trying to act like others haven't tried it because for you it's fine then good for you. Lone Echo is a perfect example of how it's supposed to be done. Sorry but the floaty weapons, hands, etc. takes away from the immersion for me and I suspect others as it is a big complaint for many. You can try to justify it all you like but for me it's just poor workmanship. AGAIN, look at Lone Echo and that's how it should start and be improved upon.

To all those complaining about fallout in vr... o_O:confused:

Man we are closer to my childhood dreams of gaming than ever, this shit ain't nothing like the 80's. I just wish I had the time I did in the 80's.

Edit: maybe you state siders had more options, but to the general world, this was VR (yes this is also a shout out to a now defunct website I loved

Last edited:
So for all of that have Oculus Rifts, are these Bethesda games working well? Do the controls port nicely?

My only complaint about the arms/hands in Fallout VR is I would rather of seen actual hands instead of virtual controllers. It doesn't bother me 1 bit not seeing my arms but I really do prefer having real hands lol

I've been playing since it came out. Tweaking .ini files and playing with mods. Just like every Bethesda game ever. Having lots of fun. This is the full game but in VR. Should I refund because I cant Pet the dog? Oh wait the modders fixed that. The things people complain about.

Anyone know if the hack to play it on Rift makes it playable? I thought there was some fundamental control thing for movement that wasn't working easily with the Oculus Rift hands because they lack the touchpad......can anyone confirm???
I think it works fine with the SteamVR beta.

I own an Oculus..and sorry but he is right. It just seems a small group of VR supporters have deluded themselves into believing that it is better than it really is because they so badly want it to be, not because it is. VR remains absolutely terrible because of a long list of reasons the least of which being that devs continue to program for it like it is some 1980's demo with all the obnoxious floaty shit.

I'm not saying it's better than what it is. Really I'm saying that it is what it is. Think about the tracking methods that exist. None of them allow for accurate arm tracking (because it's all in the controller tracking) so why complain about something like that? Considering the level of immersion that already exists, having gripes about floating guns/hands seems very nitpicky.

So for all of that have Oculus Rifts, are these Bethesda games working well? Do the controls port nicely?

Taken from Reddit

Okay, everyone can relax. Fallout 4 VR works on Rift.

I just installed my review copy and it starts without a hitch.

There are control issues though. In menu, the game assumes a touch pad, and selecting stuff with the stick is wonky.

Did not get very far, just past char creator and into the house.

Oh and I am running an R9 390 and even though it needs a lot of ASW, it does run okay so far. MUCH better than Doom on my PC.

So: yay!

EDIT: IT WORKS!!!
IT RUNS IF YOU DON'T USE THE BETA VERSION OF STEAMVR!!!
I switched to the regular branch and now I can get past the issue!

Navigating menus is still a PITA with the odd touchpad behavior, but it WORKS!

EDIT: Q&A Answers follow, so I don't have to answer the same things over and over

Q: Is the game fun?

A: I don't know yet. I was mostly worried about a possible Rift lock-out. Now that's out of the way (there is no lock) I can relax and sink some play time in it.

I would call it borderline unplayable with current controls. There’s just no way to navigate the menus without cursing. I will go into more detail in a new post tomorrow.

Q: I missed the ruckus. What was wrong with Fallout VR?

A: The virtual keyboard did not work, which basically made it impossible to progress past the point where you have to name your character. Switching from beta to main branch steamvr solves this.

Q: Is there DLC?

A: As far as I can see, no. Just the base game.

Q: Are you running Dash?

A: Yes. And the performance is much better than Doom VFR

Q: Does full locomotion work?

A: Yes.

Q: Can you pick up stuff and interact with it?

A: Not that I can see. It's basically still Fallout 4 with mouse clicks but in VR. For example, there is a cup of coffee on the counter. You can't pick it up but you can point at it and select 'interact', after which you hear a slurping sound as if you took a sip.

Yes, but only after the intro. And so far, handling of objects feels clunky.

Q: Can you play with a controller or keyboard/mouse?

A: Nope.

Q: How is the scale of the world?

A: Near perfect!

Q: Did you break an embargo by reporting all this?

A: Nope. The review document explicitly states there is no embargo.

Again: it WORKS! But it still needs optimizing for Rift, which was to be expected. edit Pitchforks on stand-by. The terrible controls do exclude Rift owners from enjoying the party.

I am genuinely curious about your guys' thoughts about this. I had a Vive but sold it, and this was the only game I was looking forward to. The only thing that would bother me about this game and using the Vive is the huge amount of time I could spend playing Fallout. It's not a game you can just pick up and play for small doses at a time, and that is my concern for playing these sorts of huge RPGs in VR. I would get tired of standing after a while and just say fuck it and sit down. It would be nice if I could be on a Oculus or even Vive, but be sitting with a Xbox Controller and play the game that way. I could tolerate that a lot more because I remember there was a survival game I tried to play on the Vive back when I had it and it was just so tiring after a while to keep standing.

No reason you cant play this game while sitting down, it supports comfort sneaking (holding button to crouch" and controller turning so you dont need roomscale. My biggest issue with the game is is makes shit scary as fuck at times lol, im having a hard time handling ghouls in my face.

Taken from Reddit:

Okay, everyone can relax. Fallout 4 VR works on Rift.

I just installed my review copy and it starts without a hitch.

There are control issues though. In menu, the game assumes a touch pad, and selecting stuff with the stick is wonky.

Did not get very far, just past char creator and into the house.

Oh and I am running an R9 390 and even though it needs a lot of ASW, it does run okay so far. MUCH better than Doom on my PC.

So: yay!

EDIT: IT WORKS!!!
IT RUNS IF YOU DON'T USE THE BETA VERSION OF STEAMVR!!!
I switched to the regular branch and now I can get past the issue!

Navigating menus is still a PITA with the odd touchpad behavior, but it WORKS!

EDIT: Q&A Answers follow, so I don't have to answer the same things over and over

Q: Is the game fun?

A: I don't know yet. I was mostly worried about a possible Rift lock-out. Now that's out of the way (there is no lock) I can relax and sink some play time in it.

I would call it borderline unplayable with current controls. There’s just no way to navigate the menus without cursing. I will go into more detail in a new post tomorrow.

Q: I missed the ruckus. What was wrong with Fallout VR?

A: The virtual keyboard did not work, which basically made it impossible to progress past the point where you have to name your character. Switching from beta to main branch steamvr solves this.

Q: Is there DLC?

A: As far as I can see, no. Just the base game.

Q: Are you running Dash?

A: Yes. And the performance is much better than Doom VFR

Q: Does full locomotion work?

A: Yes.

Q: Can you pick up stuff and interact with it?

A: Not that I can see. It's basically still Fallout 4 with mouse clicks but in VR. For example, there is a cup of coffee on the counter. You can't pick it up but you can point at it and select 'interact', after which you hear a slurping sound as if you took a sip.

Yes, but only after the intro. And so far, handling of objects feels clunky.

Q: Can you play with a controller or keyboard/mouse?

A: Nope.

Q: How is the scale of the world?

A: Near perfect!

Q: Did you break an embargo by reporting all this?

A: Nope. The review document explicitly states there is no embargo.

Again: it WORKS! But it still needs optimizing for Rift, which was to be expected. edit Pitchforks on stand-by. The terrible controls do exclude Rift owners from enjoying the party.

There are fixes that help with the rift controls alot, its not perfect but its worlds better than it was at launch.

No reason you cant play this game while sitting down, it supports comfort sneaking (holding button to crouch" and controller turning so you dont need roomscale. My biggest issue with the game is is makes shit scary as fuck at times lol, im having a hard time handling ghouls in my face.

There are fixes that help with the rift controls alot, its not perfect but its worlds better than it was at launch.

I think i may get a Rift then. That $399 deal for the headset controllers and two trackers is too good to pass up compared to the Vive. And I don't care about room-scale anymore until they improve the resolution on the HMDs so I will play mostly sitting. All I want to play right now is Fallout 4 in VR.

I'm not saying it's better than what it is. Really I'm saying that it is what it is. Think about the tracking methods that exist. None of them allow for accurate arm tracking (because it's all in the controller tracking) so why complain about something like that? Considering the level of immersion that already exists, having gripes about floating guns/hands seems very nitpicky.

Its never been a problem for me and don't see why others have such an issue with it. I've always felt like it was a none issue. Now when games do it (like Lone Echo) and do it well it can certainly be cool and can add to the immersion but when a game has no arms it doesn't fade me one bit. Hands/controller models are bare minimum what I need.

Legitimately this was the first thing I thought of when they announced :D "So man...I'll be out in the forest alone...and then at the last second I'm gonna hear those 'thump-thump-thump-Thump-THUMP-THUMP" running footsteps just in time to see a ghoul right behind me about to pummel me".....cuz that makes me jump in the actual regular game, even today, when it happens :)

Then I said "I must own this".

I just don't want to...cuz BethsoftZenimax and asking full price, again, for this game. But...I fear......I'm buying it.

I think i may get a Rift then. That $399 deal for the headset controllers and two trackers is too good to pass up compared to the Vive. And I don't care about room-scale anymore until they improve the resolution on the HMDs so I will play mostly sitting. All I want to play right now is Fallout 4 in VR.
if the resolution is the hold back for you maybe wait for the Pimax, uses the vive controllers but with a better resolution. I love my rift and think its price:perfomrance ratio is way better than the vive (and if you grab a 3rd sensor you have full flawless roomscale anyways) but there is still a sde if thats your concern. I stop noticing it very fast in games but its there lol

I am genuinely curious about your guys' thoughts about this. I had a Vive but sold it, and this was the only game I was looking forward to. The only thing that would bother me about this game and using the Vive is the huge amount of time I could spend playing Fallout. It's not a game you can just pick up and play for small doses at a time, and that is my concern for playing these sorts of huge RPGs in VR. I would get tired of standing after a while and just say fuck it and sit down. It would be nice if I could be on a Oculus or even Vive, but be sitting with a Xbox Controller and play the game that way. I could tolerate that a lot more because I remember there was a survival game I tried to play on the Vive back when I had it and it was just so tiring after a while to keep standing.
I only play in 2 hour blocks right now, about my max for eye strain. It has become much better and I very seldom even feel a flutter of motion sickness anymore. I only need to take a short break 5-10 minutes is plenty. The comfort stealth option is a godsend.

Oh and you can interact with objects after the intro sequence, just not directly with dead bodies. But you can poke them.

Now that I have played with a Daydream using my phone and seeing that some of the "mainstream" games are being made for VR, I am starting to gain more interest.

I'm sad they spent so long making a VR specific version which they charge again for, not even a discount if you already own it.
Yet there is no interaction with objects and there are so many. The one thing that makes you feel part of the virtual world - is missing.
And no consideration for VR platforms other than the Vive.
3 reasons to not bother.
This smells of a moneygrab, I'm not seeing the consumer care or the value.

What benefit does this give over playing the normal version with VR mods?

Last edited:
if the resolution is the hold back for you maybe wait for the Pimax,

I'd really like to see peripheral vision increased. Having my entire field of vision active. The experience is still amazeballs, but I am aware of the blackness around me.

I'd really like to see peripheral vision increased. Having my entire field of vision active. The experience is still amazeballs, but I am aware of the blackness around me.
I would settle for a blowjob.

Back