Fallout 4 Console Mod Theft

HardOCP News

[H] News
For those of you that haven't been following the situation, there is currently an issue with people pirating Fallout 4 mods that they didn't create, and uploading them for console users. While this may not seem like a big deal, aside from ripping off someone else's hard work, there are issues at play with many of these mods because they were made with the PC in mind and they do not run properly on consoles. Here's how one mod author explains the situation:

Apparently, there is a storm brewing, more damaging than the Paid Modding “fiasco” of Skyrim. I feel it necessary to preface, that while I cannot speak for the “Majority” of mod authors, I can speak for quite a few when I state, that despite personal opinions of the “PC Master Race”, vs “Console Peasants”, this isn’t a contributing factor to many mod authors, which is a minor topic we will explore in this document. I also, do not claim to be a lawyer, and as such, will not be discussing the legalities of the situation, simply the consequences. On a side-note, please, for the love of all that is monotonous and usual, don’t harass the developers over site moderation, it will be handled in time.

... and that's why we don't have nice things. Entitled people.

It wouldn't even be possible if they didn't partition all 3 systems separately and treat mods completely different.

You want to kill a creative modding community? Because this is how you do it. I don't like using the term "console peasant," but in this case I'll make an exception. These console peasants have been badmouthing mods on PC forever, and now that they get a taste with one game on consoles they start acting like the most entitled children on the planet. If you look on Bethesda's mod site nearly every comment on PC mods is demanding a console version.

Mod makers need to start making their work PC only, enough of this.

Mod makers need to start making their work PC only, enough of this.

As I understand it, that's part of the problem - in cases where PC modders decline/refuse to make console versions (where it's actually possible), other people are basically doing it for them without crediting the original author. If anything it would be better if the mods worked across platforms without any developer intervention, eliminating the need to support them individually. Not that it's technically possible, of course.

The moral of this story is don't buy a console if you want to mod games.

One form of preventative measure mod author's can implement to protect their PC creations by requiring their mods to use Fallout 4 Script Extender (F4SE). Unless hell freezes over it is highly unlikely Microsoft or Sony would allow implementation of a script enhancing utility on their respective platforms which could be used to bypass platform security. I personally hope this form of anti-theft protection is implemented into PC works as it would be a effective deterrent. The solution may not stop every theft yet it would slow the thieves down quite a bit.

For those of you that haven't been following the situation, there is currently an issue with people pirating Fallout 4 mods that they didn't create, and uploading them for console users. While this may not seem like a big deal, aside from ripping off someone else's hard work, there are issues at play with many of these mods because they were made with the PC in mind and they do not run properly on consoles. Here's how one mod author explains the situation:

Apparently, there is a storm brewing, more damaging than the Paid Modding “fiasco” of Skyrim. I feel it necessary to preface, that while I cannot speak for the “Majority” of mod authors, I can speak for quite a few when I state, that despite personal opinions of the “PC Master Race”, vs “Console Peasants”, this isn’t a contributing factor to many mod authors, which is a minor topic we will explore in this document. I also, do not claim to be a lawyer, and as such, will not be discussing the legalities of the situation, simply the consequences. On a side-note, please, for the love of all that is monotonous and usual, don’t harass the developers over site moderation, it will be handled in time.
I am, as you guys term it, a console peasant - i'm absolutely loving the mods you've created - i think the asshats that are pirating should be punished no matter what any of them say they're wrong in what they're doing - you're right - they're flaming scumbags - I have one question - is there a way for me to tell if any mod that I download has been pirated? Please advise if there is so I can check my downloads - a list of known piraters , if it exists, would be helpful - please reply - this is the only way as a console user that I can be supportive of genuine authors

Back