Fallout 4 Benchmarks

PRIME1

2[H]4U
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Fallout-4-Spiel-18293/Specials/Test-Benchmark-vor-Release-1177284/

K740I1b.jpg

Ugh... the visual difference between PC and console are barely noticeable. Big disappointment.

Bethesda stopped giving a shit about their PC versions a long time ago.

F4 has forced V-Sync and mouse acceleration, borderless windowed mode isn't well implemented, no FoV option and if your framerate is over 60 the physics go nuts and the game crashes at certain points.

The funny thing is despite all that it's still better than the console versions.

Bethesda stopped giving a shit about their PC versions a long time ago.

F4 has forced V-Sync and mouse acceleration, borderless windowed mode isn't well implemented, no FoV option and if your framerate is over 60 the physics go nuts and the game crashes at certain points.

The funny thing is despite all that it's still better than the console versions.

What is wrong with borderless windowed mode? Mine seems to work fine.

I get what your saying Prime but I bet the IQ looks better on the Radeon's like always..

From the little that I have played so far (had to go to work). I am really enjoying this game. I can't understand all the constant bitching about how it looks. Whilst it's not the best looking game. It's far from ugly.

So in other words, like the usual - wait for the Bethesda game to get better before buying. Hell - this is for any PC game.

So in other words, like the usual - wait for the Bethesda game to get better before buying. Hell - this is for any PC game.

Suit yourself. Playing perfectly fine here, it's the smoothest Bethesda Game Studios launch I've yet experienced (Fallout 3, New Vegas and Skyrim were all far more buggy and crashprone on day one). Not a single crash yet in about 7hrs of play.

From the little that I have played so far (had to go to work). I am really enjoying this game. I can't understand all the constant bitching about how it looks. Whilst it's not the best looking game. It's far from ugly.

Simply put, this is NOT a finished game. Issues that have been in Bethesda's games since Fallout 3 are still existent, while they absolutely shouldn't be.

Problems so far:
-Character gets stuck after acessing a terminal, can't progress the game
-No FOV slider
-Forced mouse acceleration
-Mouse sensitivity and physics tied to framerate
-No SLI support even with the newest game ready driver
- No CFX support
-Changing stuff in the .ini files has no effect on anything
-No in-game developer console

Pathetic attempt at porting a console game. And from what I've seen not only the PC version has problems. Xbox One and PS4 seem to have performance issues and freezes aswell.

Problems so far:
-Character gets stuck after acessing a terminal, can't progress the game <-- MAY get stuck. Not widespread.
-No FOV slider <-- can be adjusted in .INI
-Forced mouse acceleration <-- see above
-Mouse sensitivity and physics tied to framerate <-- Playing at 60FPS doesn't detract from gameplay. This isn't a twitch shooter
-No SLI support even with the newest game ready driver <-- Fair point, but Nvidia should have it out soon
-No CFX support <-- Talk to AMD's lazy driver team
-Changing stuff in the .ini files has no effect on anything <-- Wrong
-No in-game developer console <-- It's coming

Pathetic attempt at porting a console game. <-- It's not a console port

Xbox One and PS4 seem to have performance issues and freezes aswell. <-- Who cares.

anyone expecting more from gamebryo than what bethesda has already shown they're capable of is a fool.

-Mouse sensitivity and physics tied to framerate <-- Playing at 60FPS doesn't detract from gameplay. This isn't a twitch shooter

that's a slippery slope friend. 60 fps is unacceptable for shooters, period. especially in 2015.

Simply put, this is NOT a finished game. Issues that have been in Bethesda's games since Fallout 3 are still existent, while they absolutely shouldn't be.

Problems so far:
-Character gets stuck after acessing a terminal, can't progress the game
-No FOV slider
-Forced mouse acceleration
-Mouse sensitivity and physics tied to framerate
-No SLI support even with the newest game ready driver
- No CFX support
-Changing stuff in the .ini files has no effect on anything
-No in-game developer console

Pathetic attempt at porting a console game. And from what I've seen not only the PC version has problems. Xbox One and PS4 seem to have performance issues and freezes aswell.

was playing earlier and the console was available just fine, like every other bethesda game has since morrowind

that's a slippery slope friend. 60 fps is unacceptable for shooters, period. especially in 2015.

even worse is that it routinely slips below 60 fps

Wait for patches and price drops, and get the PC version if you PC is halfway decent.

Well

I am still waiting for the game to actually unlock on steam, granted i could work around this by changing my location settings. I am in zero rush to play right now.

my PSU on my desktop died a few days ago so it's down for the count till my replacement comes. Gonna get to see what my little A10-5757m laptop can do. I suspect it will fail miserably, even though i was able to play skyrim decently on it.

I'll buy this 2 year later when there are some awesome mods. Never really cared for Bethesda open world games storyline wise except for modding.

That said, the early reported problems of this game is tiny compared to the amount of problems Skyrim had on launch.

60 fps is fine with me as I always enable Adaptive V-Sync in the NVCP...the engine having numerous bugs is not surprising- this is Bethesda/Gamebryo/Creation engine...that being said it's probably less buggy then previous PC releases and no major game progression bugs that I've heard about

Well

I am still waiting for the game to actually unlock on steam, granted i could work around this by changing my location settings. I am in zero rush to play right now.

my PSU on my desktop died a few days ago so it's down for the count till my replacement comes. Gonna get to see what my little A10-5757m laptop can do. I suspect it will fail miserably, even though i was able to play skyrim decently on it.

Me too. What gives?

Pffft whatever! Just wait, async compute is coming! :rolleyes: The conspiracy theories on Anandtech are already in overdrive--things like NV shareholders being responsible for AMD's failures, Bethesda being in NV's pocket, GW being the evil culprit etc. But nope, it can't be that AMD just doesn't have any developer outreach or their driver team is behind..nahh not possible: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15wOp7_dD8E

Last edited:
Pffft whatever! Just wait, async compute is coming! :rolleyes: The conspiracy theories on Anandtech are already in overdrive--things like NV shareholders being responsible for AMD's failures, Bethesda being in NV's pocket, GW being the evil culprit etc. But nope, it can't be that AMD just doesn't have any developer outreach or their driver team is behind..nahh not possible.

What an odd rant in response to what you quoted, can we not make this into some sad partisan donnybrook?

It looks like the God Rays setting is a good way to gain back some significant performance without a huge visual impact. Reminds me of grass quality in GTA.

Looking forward to diving in.

Gzx0ZZU.png

It looks like the God Rays setting is a good way to gain back some significant performance without a huge visual impact. Reminds me of grass quality in GTA.

those are pretty big gains- average of 10 fps for each step down in quality

What an odd rant in response to what you quoted, can we not make this into some sad partisan donnybrook?

Looking forward to diving in.

how does it remind you of grass quality in gta? every increment of that setting makes large improvements to the grass.

Steam servers are getting hammered which is expected upon a major title release. As it is for me, the estimated time is just under three minutes before Fallout 4 unlocks.

This will turn into a "partisan debate" as more people realize the 'God Rays' setting applies Nvidia's tessellated volumetric lighting at any value above OFF. The differences between Low and Ultra are almost non-existant but it cuts your framerate nearly in half, probably worse for AMD hardware. The setting seems to solely exist to skew benchmarks. The outcry was so bad, Andrew Burnes had to take down his optimization guide as people were using it to showcase the non-difference between the settings.

As a result AMD looks really bad in benchmarks, I assume even with God Rays disabled they will still fall short of Nvidia.
TL;DR: Another AAA game where AMD is being intentionally gimped by Nvidia. Par for the course.

As for me, I played 6 hours today, balls-to-the-wall maxed out at a silky smooth 60fps. Meanwhile the AMD community spent the day rabbling about Nvidia.

What an odd rant in response to what you quoted,

It's not a rant but a sad commentary on the state of AMD drivers and their fanbase blaming NVIDIA for everything. How many times have we been down the path of AMD fans using the blame game for AMD's shortcomings? Look at the Digital Foundry video's comment section, the AMD fans are busy blaming NVIDIA although the author of the video clearly stated that AMD's drivers aren't utilizing the CPU so the GPU stalls but they blindly ignore that fact.

This will turn into a "partisan debate" as more people realize the 'God Rays' setting applies Nvidia's tessellated volumetric lighting at any value above OFF. The differences between Low and Ultra are almost non-existant but it cuts your framerate nearly in half, probably worse for AMD hardware.

As a result AMD looks really bad in benchmarks, I assume even with God Rays disabled they will still fall short of Nvidia.
TL;DR: Another AAA game where AMD is being intentionally gimped by Nvidia. Par for the course.

As for me, I played 6 hours today, balls-to-the-wall maxed out at a silky smooth 60fps. Meanwhile the AMD community spent the day rabbling about Nvidia.

God Rays has nothing to do with it. Turn all the lighting extensions off and AMD still gets pummeled. When are people going to wake up and realize it's AMD who's failing to meet expectations here? It's a massive AAA game, probably the biggest for 2015 yet AMD didn't take the time to get in touch with Bethesda and make sure the title worked at peak performance on day one--that's a huge inexcusable failure. NVIDIA isn't big enough to put Bethesda in it's pocket to where they would intentionally sabotage AMD hardware, that's a laughable conspiracy theory spun by AMD fanboys.

unbenanntjpb3h.png

And now listen carefully to what Digital Foundry says in their comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15wOp7_dD8E

Last edited:
how does it remind you of grass quality in gta? every increment of that setting makes large improvements to the grass.

Well I don't want to get too far off topic but I was refering to it having a similar effect on performance more than the visual differences.
grand-theft-auto-v-grass-quality-performance-640px.png

That being said I find the differences visually to be pretty minimal High vs Ultra (it's farily noticable in the distance) especially when you're driving about and playing the game not playing turf sceintist.

Point taken though God Rays Ultra vs Low looks practically identical in the comparisons I've seen.

Last edited:
The tests are pointless if they don't cap tessellation on the AMD hardware.
Test with god rays off & max, with both 8X or 16X tessellation vs unlimited tessellation.

If AMD makes significant gains by capping tessellation (especially with God Rays disabled) then it's clearly an issue with Nvidia.

Here are today's highlights for further reading:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/3s4opm/fallout_4_benchmarks_struggling_on_amd_gpus/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/3s54bi/why_is_fallout_4_performance_so_bad_you_guessed/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/3s5rxc/xpost_pcmasterrace_is_nvidia_sabotaging/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/3s7bmk/a_little_history_lesson_about_amd_been_sabotaged/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/3s7iif/anyone_else_having_horrible_fps_with_the_r9_390/

The top 4 posts on /r/AMD in the last 24 hours are all about FO4 performance issues.

And this gem from PCMR:
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterra..._nvidia_sabotaging_performance_for_no_visual/

Last edited:
AMD fans will play the game next year when AMD finally releases drivers worthy enough to run Fall Out 4.

AMD fans will play the game next year when AMD finally releases drivers worthy enough to run Fall Out 4.
Buy Nvidia if you want to play AAA games at max settings.
Buy AMD if you want to complain about not being able to play AAA games at max settings.

First-hand experience talking.

When the drivers finally come out, there will be another WCCF article "AMD gains 30% more performance in FO4 with new drivers, Nvidia gains 0%." :rolleyes:

The tests are pointless if they don't cap tessellation on the AMD hardware.
Test with god rays off & max, with both 8X or 16X tessellation vs unlimited tessellation.

If AMD makes significant gains by capping tessellation (especially with God Rays disabled) then it's clearly an issue with Nvidia.

Here are today's highlights for further reading:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/3s4opm/fallout_4_benchmarks_struggling_on_amd_gpus/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/3s54bi/why_is_fallout_4_performance_so_bad_you_guessed/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/3s5rxc/xpost_pcmasterrace_is_nvidia_sabotaging/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/3s7bmk/a_little_history_lesson_about_amd_been_sabotaged/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/3s7iif/anyone_else_having_horrible_fps_with_the_r9_390/

The top 4 posts on /r/AMD in the last 24 hours are all about FO4 performance issues.

And this gem from PCMR:
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterra..._nvidia_sabotaging_performance_for_no_visual/

Those AMD fans should just go buy a console if they can't grasp the simple idea of turning certain effects down or off if their hardware can't handle it. It's not really rocket science..but then again maybe it is for that demographic.

Buy Nvidia if you want to play AAA games at max settings.
Buy AMD if you want to complain about not being able to play AAA games at max settings.

First-hand experience talking.

When the drivers finally come out, there will be another WCCF article "AMD gains 30% more performance in FO4 with new drivers, Nvidia gains 0%." :rolleyes:

Bingo, same reason I buy NVIDIA hardware.

look at my framerate. that's everything at lowest except textures, taa, and the extra stuff that doesn't cost anything. :/

Back