Fallout 4 and G-SYNC, does it work?

dukenuke88

[H]ard|Gawd
I currently have an Acer XB270HU 144hz G-Sync monitor. I'm interested in picking up Fallout 4 during the GMG winter sale. However I'm worried that Fallout 4 won't play nicely with high refresh rates and G-Sync technology. For those who have a G-Sync monitor and Fallout 4, can you guys chime in on your experience? Thanks in advanced!

If it's 60hz g-sync you're good. If you're trying to go higher with a 144hz g-sync monitor, it's not g-sync that's the problem. FO4 physics is tied to 60 fps. If you go higher, you'll get glitches, the worst being getting stuck in any terminal you try to use or hack.

Believe me I've tried 85hz, 90 hz, 100 hz. No go.

As for the game, it's addictive as heck and well worth the purchase.

Pretty much what controller said, G-Sync will work fine but anything above 60fps will start causing problems. I have been able to use up to 72fps without too many issues.

How will it work with the Acer XB270HU? It's a 144hz G-Sync monitor, and if I enable G-sync, it will always target for 144hz. I heard this causes issues if the monitor is 144hz, and the game is locked at 60fps?

It works just fine. The only glitch I encountered was getting stuck at terminals, but that has been patched. Run the Fallout 4 beta version and you will be good. I have over 100 hours into Fallout 4 already and it is a fantastic experience at 100+ FPS. Nothing like the physics mess that Skyrim is at high refresh rates.

It works just fine. The only glitch I encountered was getting stuck at terminals, but that has been patched. Run the Fallout 4 beta version and you will be good. I have over 100 hours into Fallout 4 already and it is a fantastic experience at 100+ FPS. Nothing like the physics mess that Skyrim is at high refresh rates.

Hey I noticed you have an XB270HU as well. Any tips or tricks I should do before I fire it up for the first time? Do I leave G-Sync on or off? Should I be using an FPS limiter? Thanks.

gsync on of course, limit your framerate to 138 as after that gsync starts to have issues and you get input lag similar to regular vsync (http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/preview2/ check comments.) you can set vsync in the nvidia control panel to off for it to unlock the framerate but then you don't get any kind of sync so it's kind of pointless to do anything other than cap at 138. the game microstutters and there's nothing you can do about it just fyi, otherwise it works just fine at high framerates although certain things do speed up a bit as you go higher.

the game microstutters and there's nothing you can do about it just fyi

Wait, does this happen to everybody? Or only folks who run 144hz G-Sync monitors?

My main concern is shelling out $50 for a game that doesn't work well with my gaming setup (SLI 970s, 144hz and G-Sync). If I bought it for $10 during next year's XMAS sale, then I wouldn't feel as bad.

Wait, does this happen to everybody? Or only folks who run 144hz G-Sync monitors?

My main concern is shelling out $50 for a game that doesn't work well with my gaming setup (SLI 970s, 144hz and G-Sync). If I bought it for $10 during next year's XMAS sale, then I wouldn't feel as bad.

40 bucks right now on GreenManGaming with code - I posted about it here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1886955

Maybe that will sweeten the deal?

40 bucks right now on GreenManGaming with code - I posted about it here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1886955

Maybe that will sweeten the deal?

Yes I did see that, thanks. But I'm really looking for assurance that things will work out. If I buy this game for $5 and its a terrible console port, then I wouldn't feel that bad. But if I bought it for $40 I would be pretty upset. I would rather skip it if it ran like crap you know?

True that - I don't buy games when they come out anymore because of that very fact. Most games are released broken, and require a lot of patching to have them run decently (except for Arkham Knight, that one is just FUBAR). Good news though, since this is a Bethesda game they will make it work - and the modding community will be FANTASTIC, and a search of a problem will often net you a work around or fix.

EDIT: Just for clarification, I did purchase this game from a Hard Forum member for less than 40 dollars. I played a bit, and it ran very well at 1080P at least, but I don't have a GSync monitor. I've read that super wide aspect ratios aren't supported, but can easily be added in to the ini file (which begs the question - why the hell didn't Bethesda do that in the first place?).

It doesn't. The fastest solution I have found with the 'get stuck at hack terminal' problem, on my G-Sync PG278Q is by changing the refresh rate on the monitor itself (no alt-tabbing, no changing anything, just 3 button presses on my monitor). Believe it or not it unstucks itself, so the fix is quick.

It also doesn't occur all the time. So with all things considered it's not a terrible game. I do get occasional CTD but it happens once every a few hours, not enough to deter me IMHO. Also, community patches should make the game work even better (this is actually one of the best thing about modding, there is always bound to be a mod that focuses on fixing bugs officials didn't fix, I expect Fallout 4 to be no exception once official modding tools for this is released. Oblivion, FO3, NV and Skyrim all had unofficial patches that make the game experience a whole lot better.

EDIT: If any modders see this post, you have my utmost gratitude on making games that much better for all of us.

It doesn't. The fastest solution I have found with the 'get stuck at hack terminal' problem, on my G-Sync PG278Q is by changing the refresh rate on the monitor itself (no alt-tabbing, no changing anything, just 3 button presses on my monitor). Believe it or not it unstucks itself, so the fix is quick.

It also doesn't occur all the time. So with all things considered it's not a terrible game. I do get occasional CTD but it happens once every a few hours, not enough to deter me IMHO. Also, community patches should make the game work even better (this is actually one of the best thing about modding, there is always bound to be a mod that focuses on fixing bugs officials didn't fix, I expect Fallout 4 to be no exception once official modding tools for this is released. Oblivion, FO3, NV and Skyrim all had unofficial patches that make the game experience a whole lot better.

EDIT: If any modders see this post, you have my utmost gratitude on making games that much better for all of us.

Thanks for the reply. So should I turn on G-Sync but set my monitor's refresh rate to 60hz?

Doing a quick search online I see folks having issues with Fallout 4 and G-Sync, but never really clarified what they did to solve it. That's the whole reason why I started this thread to make sure I don't get shafted out of $$. I know if I still had my plain jane 60hz IPS monitor I probably would already have this game. But I know console ports don't play nicely with PC specific technology such as 144hz and G-Sync.

EDIT: my Acer XB270HU doesn't allow you to change refresh rate from the monitor's OSD itself.

I always set my monitor to 144hz when in gaming, 120hz only when on desktop. I don't know why but the 60hz setting on my Swift is strangely stuttery, but it doesn't happen on my BL3201PT (which is 60hz non G-Sync).

I can't imagine why 60hz G-Sync would work any worse than non-G-sync 60hz though, I tried to run the game on the exact same settings on my Swift as BL3201PT and I have found no issues. The high refresh I believe is the main culprit behind the various issues Fallout 4 was reported to have at high refresh rates, not G-Sync itself.

Thanks for the reply. So should I turn on G-Sync but set my monitor's refresh rate to 60hz?

Doing a quick search online I see folks having issues with Fallout 4 and G-Sync, but never really clarified what they did to solve it. That's the whole reason why I started this thread to make sure I don't get shafted out of $$. I know if I still had my plain jane 60hz IPS monitor I probably would already have this game. But I know console ports don't play nicely with PC specific technology such as 144hz and G-Sync.

EDIT: my Acer XB270HU doesn't allow you to change refresh rate from the monitor's OSD itself.

no, keep your refresh rate at 144 Hz. chenw and the_controller need to update their pirated copies, because the last update on december 7th fixed getting stuck in terminals at high framerates. the game microstutters for everybody, has nothing to do with gsync.

Just get something like MSI Afterburner (works with other manufacturers' graphics cards as well), open Rivatuner and limit the game's FPS to 60.

Game doesn't work at all with freesync, it craps itself and sits at 17fps (an oddly specific number). Interesting to see Gsync does work.

EDIT: Just for clarification, I did purchase this game from a Hard Forum member for less than 40 dollars. I played a bit, and it ran very well at 1080P at least, but I don't have a GSync monitor. I've read that super wide aspect ratios aren't supported, but can easily be added in to the ini file (which begs the question - why the hell didn't Bethesda do that in the first place?).

That's true. I run a 21:9 ratio (3440x1440) monitor and I had to go into the ini file and set it to that. A simple mod/fix but why Bethesda didn't make it this way up front is beyond me. I think it's pure laziness on their part but I got it working fine.

I have an Acer XB270HU with a Titan X, I have the refresh rate set to 144Mhz, use nvidia inspector to set the frame cap to 75 FPS and the game runs perfectly. I don't notice the micro stutter everyone keeps talking about maybe I'm just use to it but I don't see anything so jarring that it takes me out of the game.

I have an Acer XB270HU with a Titan X, I have the refresh rate set to 144Mhz, use nvidia inspector to set the frame cap to 75 FPS and the game runs perfectly. I don't notice the micro stutter everyone keeps talking about maybe I'm just use to it but I don't see anything so jarring that it takes me out of the game.

What happens if you don't use NV inspector to set 75fps? Would Fallout 4 try to target 144fps while in game? Do you get broken game physics or stuttering if you don't set it to 75fps?

I'm running FO4 beta.

I had to disable the "iPresentInterval" toggle, and play the game in Fullscreen to get gsync working and smooth.

The game was jittery as hell at any frame-rate before that.

High fps doesn't seem quite as glitchy as skyrim was, but I did get stuck at a terminal in Hubris comics post-patch. The game seems a bit fast at times also.

Borderless window gsync was a slideshow last I tried it.

I recently got an Acer x34 monitor and before that I was using a 32" Acer 4k 60hz monitor in fa4 and it was bad at times with low frame rates, stuttering or microstutter that people talk about which i think is the game engine dropping frames or some other nonsense. Now with the x34 and a few changes to the .ini file to actually enable the resolution for starters, the game is buttery smooth, no stutter AT ALL with gsync and my x34 works perfectly at 100hz which is what I have it set at in fa4. The game and every other game ive tried so far is so much more enjoyable with gsync and 100hz. The low input lag on this monitor helps i think as well.

Here are some of the settings im using in the Fallout4Prefs.ini file:
iPresentInterval=1
bTopMostWindow=1
bMaximizeWindow=1
bBorderless=0
bFull Screen=1
iSize H=1440
iSize W=3440

I also use flawless widescreen fix with fa4 and it fixes the menus in the game from looking weird all but the power armor one which is a separate fix.

What happens if you don't use NV inspector to set 75fps? Would Fallout 4 try to target 144fps while in game? Do you get broken game physics or stuttering if you don't set it to 75fps?

Without running NV inspector indoors I'd get a consistent 144fps but the game would freak out when I use terminals and I couldn't leave them. I never bothered checking what kind of performance I'd get outdoors because of the terminal issues.

I have an ASUS Swift and Fallout 4 seems to work very well (G-sync) with dual Titan X

I have an Acer XB270HU and I use RivaTuner Statistics Server to limit the frame rate to 60Hz for Fallout 4, with GSync on. It works perfectly with no microstuttering at all. They've fixed the "stuck at terminals" issue but if I don't limit it to 60fps I get audio desync issues when NPCs are talking and sometimes skipped speech completely. It's fine with it limited though.

Your game was not running sped up? The getting stuck on terminals is mostly fixed in latest patch but another problem gamers were reporting that when you went above 60fps the game also started to run faster chipmunk style.

Your game was not running sped up? The getting stuck on terminals is mostly fixed in latest patch but another problem gamers were reporting that when you went above 60fps the game also started to run faster chipmunk style.

Huh, I managed to solve this myself. If you just disable Vsync with iPresentInterval=0 command and rely on your GPU's control panel Vsync pr FPS limit to keep it at 120hz things get borked and fast, everything becomes too fast from physics and character attack animations to lockpicking. But if you add the iFPSClamp=120 (or in case of Gsync users, the max Gsync framerate) command everything gets locked to that particular FPS and things work fine at their correct speeds. As long as you manage to keep that FPS that is, because when you go below it things start to slow down.

But since Fallout 4 uses such antique engine as long as you keep the God Rays on Low making the game run at ~120hz is not a problem for any atleast somewhat powerful dedicated gaming PC.

The game runs fine for me with 144 Hz G-Sync after the patch that fixed getting stuck at terminals. I think the key is leaving iPresentInterval setting in the config set to 1 to avoid physics issues. Then in the NVIDIA control panel I have fullscreen G-Sync turned on with V-Sync limiting turned on. I have experienced no speedup or physics issues running this way, whether pegged at 144 FPS indoors or floating around 60-80 FPS outdoors, as confirmed by Steams FPS counter.

Back