Fallout 3 performance

Are you guys experiencing any tearing with V-Sync turned off?

I noticed some when they were doing the intro cut scene which seemed odd since I was pretty sure my computer was playing a movie and not an in-game cut scene

in the actual game though, not really

Just thought I'd let all you guys running CF or an X2 card know that renaming the exe to Oblivion.exe does fix crossfire in FO3. Pretty lame that we have to do that, but at least it works now.

put in 10+ hours on FO3 now and there is definitely some memory leak bug around

PIP Boy, VATS, and walking around the wasteland can all eventually slow to a crawl

reloading the game or quitting out to windows and restarting the game removes the FPS hit, but eventually, the game slows to a crawl again

and the Radio will go scratchy / stuttery after a save most of the time. tabbing in and out of PIP Boy and a lot of other methods fix the scratch / stutter though, but it did get so bad that the game froze up and crashed once

I'm running it on Ultra, 16X MSAA, 16X AF. Runs well, but the game looks like trash.

I'm running it on Ultra, 16X MSAA, 16X AF. Runs well, but the game looks like trash.

Its supposed to look like trash, its a wasteland :p. Personally I love the gritty muddy looking textures.

Anyone find out how to disable v-sync in the game with ATI cards?

The input lag and dips are driving me crazy :(

Runs great on my system with the following settings:

Vista x64 Ultimate
1280x960 @ 60 Hz (Is there a way to increase this in Vx64? My monitor will do 75Hz at this resolution)
V-Synch on
2x AA
8x AF
Draw distances maxed out.
Everything else left at auto-detect defaults.

System in sig.

This game runs great on my computer

e5200 stock
4 gigs of ddr2 667
3870 512mb ddr3 stock

all settings ultra with 4x aa and 15x af, i did turn off transparency aa and set water aa to low playing at 1280/1024 get 40-60 fps including battles every once in a while it dips to like 30-35 but rarely. once some patches are released itll prolly run a little better. thnxs for another bitchin game bethasda

Runs great for me, maxed out 8XQAA Multisampling and 16xAF 1680x1050. Tweakguides is working on a guide for Fallout 3, but he suggests using some of the same settings for Oblivion (which I did and seemed to get even better results out of). Also Vsync needs to be be disabled through INI, the config one doesn't work as far as I know.

I get +5 more fps if after renaming fallout3.exe to oblivion.exe
makes sense, the drivers are oblivion optimized.

Have a question.

I have the following system spec.

Pentium D 3.2GHZ
1GB Ram
Geforce 7600GT 256MB
500G Seagate Barracuda.

The above is an AGP system with an 865 chipset, so graphics upgrade is not an option.

Fallout detected and set the settings to low.

If I were to get another 1G of ram, would I notice an improvement in performance?

Have a question.

Pentium D 3.2GHZ
1GB Ram
Geforce 7600GT 256MB
500G Seagate Barracuda.

The above is an AGP system with an 865 chipset, o graphics upgrade is not an option.

If I were to get another 1G of ram, would I notice an improvement in performance?

No probably not. Your AGP bus is whats doing it. Its like sticking a golf ball through a water hose.

I have another question.

How do you guys measure the average fps?

Is there a function ingame?

Have a question.

Pentium D 3.2GHZ
1GB Ram
Geforce 7600GT 256MB
500G Seagate Barracuda.

The above is an AGP system with an 865 chipset, so graphics upgrade is not an option.

You'd be surprised how much you can gain moving up to an agp HS3850. My second system is an old AXP3200+ that used to have a 7600GT, I moved up to the 3850 its a world better than the 7600GT. So if you still wanna keep that platform alive without a full system upgrade that's your best move. Also a second gig would not hurt, only help

Have a question.

Pentium D 3.2GHZ
1GB Ram
Geforce 7600GT 256MB
500G Seagate Barracuda.

You would smooth out any stuttering for sure, beyond that you're more video card limited than anything else.

The 7600Go in my laptop detected as low, runs fine on Medium though. You should be able to bump up the quality on a 7600GT no problem.

No probably not. Your AGP bus is whats doing it. Its like sticking a golf ball through a water hose.
The limited bandwidth of the AGP bus is hardly a hindrance to a card like a 7600 GT. An 8800-class card would be somewhat choked by the AGP bus, but not severely so.

The limited bandwidth of the AGP bus is hardly a hindrance to a card like a 7600 GT. An 8800-class card would be somewhat choked by the AGP bus, but not severely so.

Agreed, it's more that the 7600GT performs similarly to a 6800 Ultra (and I think anyone with a 6800 series card remembers how Oblivion performed...).

Have a question.

Pentium D 3.2GHZ
1GB Ram
Geforce 7600GT 256MB
500G Seagate Barracuda.

Honestly, pick up another gig of ram and an AGP ATI 3850. Be sure to check out the 3850 AGP thread in the ATI section of the video card forum. EDIT: I'll cut you a break here....

ATI 8.10 AGP 3850 hotfix driver: http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&questionID=31542

Rivatuner (to set fan speed to a constant 100% due to fan speed fluctuation issues): http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102730 - $135 for 3850

Approx $30-50 bucks for another gig of ram....

I'd recommend certain ram but I'm uncertain of your specs etc.

Realistically, upgrading your video card to a 3850 would be more beneficial than upping your ram. But upgrading both would be ideal.

Trust me, regardless, it would be a worthwhile upgrade!

Back