Fallout 3 Main Quest...

Moose777

2[H]4U
Quick question, if I were to complete the main quest prior to completing the side quests. Can I go back just like in Oblivion and do all the side quests?

I ask because I started the "Take it Back!" quest and I was reading through the Prima Game Guide and there is a part there that says once I enter a certain area I won't be able to leave. I'm just wondering, does that me even after I complete the quest?

not with original game. You must install broken steel DLC to continue game after main quest is done.

Dammit! I don't have Broken Steel yet. I only have Operation Anchorage and the Pitt right now. Where does one get Broken Steel?

This sucks. Thats actually two things I find I don't like about this game now. The first was the Power Armor training. "Oh, you want to train to use the power armor? Ok, just put it on." What? Just put it on? I've been trying to do that since the beginning of the game. Oh man, this sucks, I thought I was going to have to do some mini-quest do get to join the Brotherhood like I did in Oblivion.

Sorry, I digress...now to try and get the DLC.

Can I get it without using Games for Windows Live? Because, I can't get it to work.

***EDIT***
Nevermind, noticed that Point Lookout and Broken Steel aren't due out for release until August. Welp, looks like FO3 gets shelved until then.

Last edited:
The reason they have Power Armor training is because you can come across the wandering Brotherhood very early and loot their corpses. Power Armor is very powerful and they don't want low levels using it.

Anyways, the side content I feel is more fun than the main storyline. The only 'cool' quest in the main storyline is the very last one.

Broken Steel and Point Lookout ARE out. Just as DLCs. The ones you saw for release in august are the brick and mortar store bought ones.

Yes, I understand the Power Armor is very powerful. That's my point.

The Power Armor training isn't very elaborate at all. I went in thinking "Ooh, yes I finally get to train to use it. I bet there is some cool quest I have to do to get the privilage of wearing it. Wait, what? That's it? ""Just relax your body and put it on."" No quest? No cool I've got to prove to you that I'm worthy of wearing it? No, go out and raid this and bring back this and I'll show you how to use the power armor. Just, relax...now put it on. Wow, what a disappointment that was." There should have been some kind of quest to complete to get the honor of wearing it. Maybe rescue a fallen knight? I mean, anything would have been better than, "Oh sure, I ride the Initiates and you get a free pass. Just relax and put the armor on." WTF!? I wanted to be an Initiate, have the ability to actually join them. But no....just go ahead...put the armor on.....hows it fit? Too tight...here try these on.....

I mean at least in Oblivion when you wanted to join the brotherhood you had to complete some quest, even the Mage's Guild didn't reply to your request of joining for them with a, "Oh yeah, sure...here's your membership card and your kickass mage's robe." You actually had to go out and do something for them to get in.

Sorry....but I'm slightly disappointed in the whole Power Armor thing.

At any rate, I've tried to buy both Point Lookout and Broken Steel through WinLive howver I have an issue. I am unable to add points to my account. The damn page won't open. Is there another way for me to add points?

Last edited:
Quick question, if I were to complete the main quest prior to completing the side quests. Can I go back just like in Oblivion and do all the side quests?

I ask because I started the "Take it Back!" quest and I was reading through the Prima Game Guide and there is a part there that says once I enter a certain area I won't be able to leave. I'm just wondering, does that me even after I complete the quest?

Yes you can , download this mod and it will let you play after MQ.

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=586

Ok, so I managed to get Windows Live to work....sort of.....I ended up having to go out and buy a Live card because I couldn't get the damn web page to open to add points.

I'm currently DLing Broken Steel and Point Lookout.

Does this DLing thing work the same through Win Live as it does through Steam and GOG and EA.....once I buy it I can never lose it type of thing?

I'm asking because this WinLive Marketplace program is as much of a pain in the ass as the GOG program.

yes after u buy it u can download it as needed on windows live.

I got the phantom never needs repaired armor from end of operation Anchorage so never even needed regular power armor :D

Last edited:
Yeah, I have Operation Anchorage as well. But I haven't done the quest yet as I thought it was like Oblivion and I could go to Anchorage after I completed the main quest. I didn't realize Bethesda f'd with the game and made it so that when you completed the mq the game just ends.

Thats what sparked the whole get Broken Steel so I can do the side quests once I complete the main one.

If you play Operation Anchorage you can get the ability to use power armor without having to wait on the brotherhood.

Yeah, I have Operation Anchorage as well. But I haven't done the quest yet as I thought it was like Oblivion and I could go to Anchorage after I completed the main quest. I didn't realize Bethesda f'd with the game and made it so that when you completed the mq the game just ends.

Thats what sparked the whole get Broken Steel so I can do the side quests once I complete the main one.

Whatever you do , Don't do the side quests before you do the Main Quest in the Broken Steel expansion. It creates a major bug that doesn't allow you to talk to or find paladin Tristan to further advance the storyline.

Interesting as I have done both the pitt and Operation Anchorage several times before doing the main quest and never encountered the bug of which you speak.

sadly the main quest is short and lame. All I wanted was to kill the dad BUT NO it wont let me.

For me Downloadable Content and side quest are the entire game, and the main quest is only there to see an ending.

Interesting as I have done both the pitt and Operation Anchorage several times before doing the main quest and never encountered the bug of which you speak.

No dont do the side quest missions of Broken Steel before doing the Broken Steel Main quest.

You can do the PITT and OA.

Ok, I'll keep that in mind when BS finally finishes DLing. I started DLing both BS and PL at around 6pm last night. 5pm tonight and neither are done yet. It also didn't help that I couldn't sit up and wait for them to finish last night so I ended up just shutting my rig down and going to bed. I did however turn it back on this morning and resume my DLs only to come home a few minutes ago to find that my F'n rig decided an hour after I had turned it on to go to sleep....once again, halting my DLs.

Ok, so Broken Steel has finally finished DLing. Let me get this straight. The only way I can play Broken Steel and Point Lookout if they were downloaded through Live is to be logged into Live while I'm playing FO3?

If that is indeed the case; please someone enlighten me as to why I can not continue my game that I started without being logged into Live?

If I want to play Broken Steel and Point Lookout now I need to restart the fucking game? And start from teh fucking beginning AGAIN! I just basically wasted an entire week of playing non-stop only to be disappointed in the "Power Armor" training and the shitty "Nope sorry, you can not go wander the Wasteland after completing the main quest like you can in Oblivion" and now to "If you started a game without being logged into Live then logged into Live and DLed an add-on you have to now restart your entire game in order to play said add-on? Will Operation Anchorage and The Pitt work? They were not DLed off of Live but bought at Wal-Mart and added via a real install.

Thats it, Megaton is being blown up this time and I'll be sure to kill every living thing I come across.

Last edited:
Jesus, I just got the DLC installed it and walked around the wasteland for a bit then the quest popped up. Looks like I dodged a bullet of complexity.

Not complexity, just piss poor design of a program. If I had known that I had to get the DLC's from LIVE prior to starting a game then I would have done so. This way I wouldn't of started a game thinking that I could just install Broken Steel and continue on my merry way with the game.

But no. The program was designed so that you had to RESTART your entire game. I can't understand why Bethesda didn't just keep what worked. Why they had to make Fo3 "consoleish" (don't jump all over me, I own Fo3 for the 360 as well.) Because they wanted to add "achievements"? Big f'n deal. I don't give a rat's ass about achievements. I want to install a game, create a new profile, play the game and if I feel like adding DLC's or add-ons at will without destroying my current game.

Fo3 is a good game. But I also find there are a lot of things I don't like about it. All of which have pretty much been posted about in this thread. At least my POV. If you think I'm being obtuse about it...oh well. I just find the whole addition of WinLive (XBox Live) to a PC game is retarded and I should've waited till August to buy the store version of the DLC's. This way I more than likely wouldn't of had to restart my game.

My ENTIRE point which you seemed to have missed stevedave is this: I had already invested a great deal of time in the game PRIOR to adding Broken Steel. I then became quite annoyed when I went to continue my game after adding aforementioned DLC only to discover I had to restart my game to even get access to Broken Steel; LIVE would not let me continue my game for some stupid reason. I had to restart the game from the beginning. There was no "Contine" option at the main menu. Just "New".

You should be able to use your same game saves:
"The game uses a different folder for saved games when you log onto live, but you can copy your offline saves to that folder and keep playing.

On windows 7 (and possibly vista too?) the folder is C:\Users\<user name>\Documents\My Games\Fallout3\Saves\<live profile name>

Just move/copy them from Saves to Saves\<live profile name>"

You're making this harder than it needs to be. Just don't do the last step in the main quest, and you can go do everything else, all the side quests you want. There's nothing stopping you. Just don't go on the final assault, and you should be free to do whatever you want.

This is what I did, just finished the MQ after finally getting around to playing the game (had it for some time)... got to lvl 10, bought the 4 DLCs, did OA, the Pitt, level some more doing side q's, traveled the world then went to point outlook, did all that, did some more side quests, got bored did the MQ at about lvl 27 and finished at lvl 29, now I guess I am free to roam the world and finish everything.

used the FOOK mod and some other mods

You should be able to use your same game saves:
"The game uses a different folder for saved games when you log onto live, but you can copy your offline saves to that folder and keep playing.

On windows 7 (and possibly vista too?) the folder is C:\Users\<user name>\Documents\My Games\Fallout3\Saves\<live profile name>

Just move/copy them from Saves to Saves\<live profile name>"
I had thought about doing that. But I bought it off of STEAM during the Father's Day weekend sale. Still haven't found where STEAM hides the save games. I know where it installed Fallout 3 just can't seem to find the saves for it.

And I wanted to complete the main quest first then go back and wander the Wastes like in Oblivion.

OldPueblo and dj_2004 thank you both very much.

I just located my old save games and my new saved games. I copied only the last one to the new saves. This way I can go back now. Thank you very much for your help.

Back