Fake Ram

I got some Crucial DDR2 ECC Registered ram for an old server off of Amazon.
It has Qimonda chips on it.
Also, the stickers are slightly different than the 2 existing sticks I already have.
Honestly, If they work, I don't care if they are "fake" because it was less than half the price of the same stuff elsewhere.
It is probably just some 5-6 year old ram that they couldn't get rid of, so they figured out what crucial ram it was comparable to and threw some stickers on it.
I will let you guys know how it works out once I get a chance to install it.

It could just be from a different run at the same factory. I have seen RAM from quite a few different mfgs that used slightly different stickers on different runs.

My Samsung LP Green 4GB sticks even have different stickers on them. They have 3 different mfg dates across 8 sticks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qimonda

It's not likely fake. Crucial is Micron's retail brand and Qimonda's interest in Innotera was picked up by Micron in 2008. That deal likely came with some material already scribed with Qimonda's name. Which is why it was sold through Crucial; you would be hard-pressed to find any Micron brand DIMMs with Qimonda on it.

I've never seen "fake" memory before. What are the Chinese making knock-offs of memory sticks like they do handbags.

Here is the original Crucial ram from years ago:
CrucialI.PNG

Here is the Crucial ram with the Qimonda chips on it:
CrucialQimonda.PNG

All 4 sticks show FFFFFF for the serial number. But it works, and was cheap, so I don't care. :)

I had some DDR2 Crucial/Micron memory that not only had Samsung chips on it but was made by Samsung. It wasn't bought from eBay but Fry's.

Back