Fake Antivirus Program Features Live Tech Support

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
In a bid to improve its façade of legitimacy, fake antivirus program (and bane of PC support techs) “Live PC Care” is offering live tech support. Just click on the big online support button to get connected to an ostensibly real person that will help convince your dad that his PC is horribly infected and needs to pay up to clean up.

Symantec says the agent is no automated script, but in fact a live person. This lends an "air of legitimacy" to the program, said Marc Fossi, a manager of development with Symantec Security Response. "Obviously if they've got live tech support, it must be real," he joked.

Anyone know their site or where I can get the virus? I want to have a chat with these bitches.

Isn't this similar to that story where hackers would take hostage of a device or computer through infecting it and asking for money in return to release it?

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/1...ctions-hackers-want-to-ransom-your-files-and/

This is coming close to what was mentioned in that article. If any person falls for that and pays them thinking they'll get rid of the virus is only kidding themselves (and asking for it).

Is that these fake anti virus companies can afford to pay for live support .

while legitimate software companies either cut back or eliminate live support all together .

something is really wrong with this.

Pretty easy to tell the difference between scam and real. You don't have to wait on hold for a scam but you do if it's real tech support. Easy!

Pretty easy to tell the difference between scam and real. You don't have to wait on hold for a scam but you do if it's real tech support. Easy!

ROFL so true!!!

nice find Mr. Olaes

if you guys decide to have fun with them, post pics or chat logs :D

I know I'll be the enemy here, but I say good for them. I'm always impressed on how much better virus's are getting.

Also note that I work at a PC store and we charge 140 dollars to remove virus's :)

Its not hard to remove virus's, you're basically paying for bench time.

Thats crazy. One time I had problem with Norton and the tech had to remotely control my pc. I felt dirty that someone was in my baby. :(

Hmm.....system with read-only disk subsystem....have it use a ram volume to get infected...packet sniff the live chat.....now you have a fun server IP address to play with.

Isn't this similar to that story where hackers would take hostage of a device or computer through infecting it and asking for money in return to release it?

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/1...ctions-hackers-want-to-ransom-your-files-and/

This is coming close to what was mentioned in that article. If any person falls for that and pays them thinking they'll get rid of the virus is only kidding themselves (and asking for it).

I work for a credit card and i've had quite a few people actually pay and call in afterward about this. The funny part is, they actually do give your computer back after you pay.

i don't know how there haven't been lawsuits against these guys yet.
Because the scum running them operate out of countries whose govts don't care. At one point the biggest one was run by the Russian Mob; dunno if that's still true today.

I know I'll be the enemy here, but I say good for them. I'm always impressed on how much better virus's are getting.

Also note that I work at a PC store and we charge 140 dollars to remove virus's :)

Its not hard to remove virus's, you're basically paying for bench time.

actually it is getting pretty hard to remove these "virus's" as you call them, and I don't mean to format and reload Windows, even though that is the easiest option. I work at a PC store also and it's getting pretty ridiculous when you can have all the Norton, or Kaspersky, or whatever good legitimate antivirus program on, and these malware programs just get on people's computers like it's nothing. Of course the browsing habits of your normal person are to blame, but still.

Good luck trying to explain to your average Joe that any website can be infected, due to the latest Adobe reader or flash player exploit, or clicking a game on Facebook.

If you don't have your computer locked down with Firefox with NoScript, or IE with all Active X and other content disabled, then your average person is going to get infected.
Yet good luck trying to educate your average Joe on how to use NoScript, I have enough trouble getting people to know what I mean when I say "web browser".

And yes all this bullshit comes from overseas, lately China, Russia has always been huge....I've seen Netherlands more and more too hosting malware sites.

And one person can be an affiliate with these distributors of the fake programs, and rake in several hundred thousands of dollars each month....just one person...so there is huge money to be made.

Anyone know their site or where I can get the virus? I want to have a chat with these bitches.
My cousin and her friends always gets these kinds of viruses. Maybe you should ask a teen to use your (virtual) machine for a day.

My cousin and her friends always gets these kinds of viruses. Maybe you should ask a teen to use your (virtual) machine for a day.

LOL...my one neighbor gets infected every 2 months almost. I put so much protection on his machine I honestly have no idea how he gets infected so often. First removal was a freebie, now I charge him $75 a pop. Of course he trys to say "you didn't fix it right the first time and it came back" b.s.

I'd like to have a chat with these support people as well.

Nice. I'm mean this is not really all that hard or expensive to setup. Pay some tech overseas three cents on the dollar or less to answer questions is not that far of a stretch. It's not like they don't have a bank of chat windows and phones lines already... subcontract out one more and you are good. The virus writer is probably making alot more on return in cc info than it does to provide this shade.

LOL...my one neighbor gets infected every 2 months almost. I put so much protection on his machine I honestly have no idea how he gets infected so often. First removal was a freebie, now I charge him $75 a pop. Of course he trys to say "you didn't fix it right the first time and it came back" b.s.

I'd like to have a chat with these support people as well.

My Dad used to get viruses on his PC all the time, it got really annoying removing them, just to have him call me over a week later to do it again, and I can't charge him for it! I ended up giving him Firefox + Noscript, haven't had any incidents since.

Back