Fair used FX5600 Price

tru3

Limp Gawd
One of my friends wants to sell another of my friends a used Geforce Fx5600 256mb card for $130. I think this price is too high so I thought id come ask here what a good price would be. I just want to make sure I give the most fair recomendation I can because this transaction involves two friends.

My problems with this price include :
Right now he can get a NEW 9600XT with HL2 cupon for 135 on the dealsites.

The 5600 gets spanked in all the HL2benchmarks (its not that great at PS2 and DX9), its loud, the extra 128mb of memory is fairly useless and doesn't justify it costing my friend more money, etc.

In light of the better deals that are out there, the fact that it is used, etc. what would be a fair price? I was thinking more like $70 although Id still tell my friend to spring more for the 9600xt.

(also, if we fully uninstall his old nvidia drivers can we switch to ati or do we have to reformat?)

Hi, $130 for a non-ultra 5600 is kinda high. I paid $125 for a BFG FX5600 Ultra 128mb, which is a lot faster than a regular 5600. A good prive for the regular 5600 256mb would be around $100. I agree, the extra 128mb is useless, mainly because of the slow core and ram speeds. The 5600Ultra is a great deal, and it outperformes the ATI 9600pro in all non-dx9 benchmarks that I have seen. To answer your last question, just uninstall the old drivers from the add/remove programs menu, and shutdown the system. Remove the old card, install the new, and then install the new drivers. I recommend the Omega drivers, you can get them at omegacorner.com

good lord.. you can get those for ~120 brand new. Considering comp stuff is like cars.. you open it the value takes a nosedive, the MOST I would pay for it is 60 bucks. Then again, I would almost refuse to have one of those pieces of crap in my box anyways.

Back