Failing HD

-(Xyphox)-

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Sep 9, 2004
Messages
6,518
My secondary machine has a failing HD in it, i have a few options, which would be the better roue to go?
Right now it has a 200 gig sata with 3 partions, one for windows/programs, one for music, and last for games. Than i have a 160 IDE gig thats just all music

I am also running out of room on this machine and need to move stuff to my storage server but.... I am thinkin of getting a SATA 74gig WD Raptor for my OS,Programs,Games than get a 300 gig sata for everything else, or is another way to go? moving my programs and data will not be a program because i have Norton Ghost and CapserXP. But what will be the best solution to go with? Few Specs on the PC is a AMD Althon 64 3200+, ATI Radeon 9800x/t, 2x512 mb Geil PC 3200, Tsunami Dream Tower,
 
I think that your plan is a good idea. Get a 74Gig Raptor as boot drive and then a large storage drive. If you had extra cash, a 150G Raptor would be nicer, but it likely out of your budget.
 
drizzt81 said:
I think that your plan is a good idea. Get a 74Gig Raptor as boot drive and then a large storage drive. If you had extra cash, a 150G Raptor would be nicer, but it likely out of your budget.
Budget? lol do you see the specs on my main pc :p
I was thinkin 150 but dont think i would fill it just for windows/programs
I want to keep all docs and crap off this drive
 
Ok, was reading some reviews for the Raptors, do they Have to be in raid??
i am thinkin the 150 and a 300 gig sata
 
no, they do _NOT_ have to be in RAID, as for budget, I did not read your sig, I assumed. My mistake, sorry.

Considering that moeny is not your concern, you may want to get a single (150GB) raptor for booting... and a 300 giger as 'storage' drive. Even if you do not fill the raptor with programs, it will still be faster than the older version.
 
drizzt81 said:
no, they do _NOT_ have to be in RAID, as for budget, I did not read your sig, I assumed. My mistake, sorry.

Considering that moeny is not your concern, you may want to get a single (150GB) raptor for booting... and a 300 giger as 'storage' drive. Even if you do not fill the raptor with programs, it will still be faster than the older version.

THanks for the info, glad i do not need a raid...
i just ordered a 150 raptor and a 300 sata should be here in a few days :D :D
 
Update!
Got my Drives in Yesterday, and WOW do i love the Raptor
I got windows and everything moved over to the 150 last night
I had to reinstall WOW because it was not on my old C partion, but no biggy
I am love with this drive... it is a HUGE difference :D :D :D
 
Back
Top