Failing Card or Monitor?

MinPins

Limp Gawd
After being out of town for a few days I turned on my PC to discover the display not looking so great. I run an EVGA 560Ti via HDMI to a Sharp 32" LCD 1080P HDTV as my monitor. The image below shows the issue with my display; rows of flickering black dots and other garbage covering the entire screen. I rebooted my PC several times, installed the latest card driver, unplugged and reattached the HDMI cable several times, and turned the monitor on & off a few times, nothing seems to help.

Do you think my card might be failing or do you think it is the monitor (TV)?
Any other possible solutions?

Thanks. Sorry for the lousy pic, but it was the only way I could display the issue.

screen-cap_zpsd8acfa58.jpg

Just plug another hdmi source into the tv. That's the easiest way to get an answer. Just looking won't prove anything until you test each.

I've tried 3 different sources now, the rows of black dots come and go.
Usually start after the monitor has been on for a bit. Pretty sure it's dying.

that's a sign of faulty vRAM.. its time to bake a card =D.

I hooked up an antenna to it and the problem was still there.
Bummer, it's only 8 years old!

Time for a new monitor.

Are you using the same cable with all of your test sources?

Nope.
2 different HDMI cables, a DVI cable and then just using the internal tuner with an antenna attached via coax. Definitely the TV.
The dots usually don't appear right when it is turned on, but slowly develop and then reach a state where they don't get any worse but are extremely annoying to look at. I can get a brand new 32" LCD 1080P monitor for <$200 which is less than the cost to repair this one. Done.

Back