failed windows updates

lazi_lad

Gawd
one time when updating my win xp home edition through the MS website. my pc crash and i resetarted it. my installation history log says failed atttempt to install XXX patch. so how di i reisntall that update? or attempt to try and re-install all the faield updates i have. i have lots of failed updates :(

Just a shot in the dark but you might want to reboot, turn off any firewalls and anti-virus utilities and close any open programs...then try to update again.

yep yep yep. these are failed installs are from over a year ago so ive obviosuly restarted the pc enough times :D

You might want to also try Clicking on the "Personalize Windows Update" on the left hand side, and then downloading the failed updates and running them manually.

I had a 2k3 test server that wouldn't install anything off the WU site, but installing them manually seemd to do the trick.

In fact I have the same problem with Win98se.:(
I just posted a post without looking (sorry).
Is there an answer to this?
In order that windows & windows update doesn't detect a previous (failed) dowload and asks for a restart?
Niaxous:cool:

Sorry, I didn't react to it straight-away. I just clicked on it, brilliant I know now what to do.
Thanks,
Niaxous

No problem, let us know if it works, I have only done this once (had to do the third step of clearing out the update dir.) and it worked.

FWIW, its also good to know that (according to microsoft) the number one reason that people fail to access windows update through the web is because their date/time settings are incorrect in the OS. This will result in a page error when "scanning for updates."

Back