fahinstall tweaks

plext0r

[H]ard DCOTM x3
I had a couple of questions on the fahinstall script mentioned in musky's Ubuntu installation guide.

1. Why disable ASLR using kernel.randomize_va_space=0? Is this for stability or a few extra PPD?

2. Would the owners accept patches to make fahinstall less distribution specific? I maintain RPM-based hosts as part of my day job and also for my folding hosts. I'd be very interested in tweaking fahinstall to detect the nuances between Ubuntu and RHEL (or CentOS/SL/Fedora) and work in both cases. Would this be useful to other folks?

3. Has any work been done to automate the langoste install? I've not yet tried using langoste, but I am using "origami" to manage a bunch of v6.34 hosts. It would be nice to automate the deployment of langoste on these machines.

ad 1.
ASLR is disabled for troubleshooting non-FahCore (FahCores are static binaries) crashes; specifically, crashes of the client that some folk (rarely) see.

ad 2.
Sure thing! Patches/suggestions are always welcome.

We have a few repos on github -- see https://github.com/team33

ad 3.
Not just yet. It may get automated but probably won't be a part of fahinstall [or at least it
won't get installed without giving user a choice].

HTH!
tear

Last edited:
Back