• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

FahCore not running at 100%

blksun000

n00b
Joined
Aug 16, 2005
Messages
38
For some reason I can't get FahCore to push my processor to 100%. I have gone through the settings and set the bar to 100% for CPU usage, but it maxes at 50%. I'm using the most recent GUI for windowsXP. I was wondering if anyone else was having trouble with this. I have it on another computer too, and that one runs at 100%. The specs for the one that doesn't are below in my sig. If anyone has any ideas about this, please let me know. Oh, also I have reinstalled this and it has been through multiple reinstalls of the OS, so it is nothing funny like that. Insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

 
Or you are dual core. It'll go to 100% if you run 2 instances (make sure you configure for 2 different Machine IDs). If you have a P4 w/Hyperthreading, the only way to get it to show 100% is to turn off hyperthreading, but this is not necessary as it is really working at about 90% full capacity and just showing 50% (from what I've seen around here, I don't have a hyperthreading machine).
 
Yes, I have hyperthreading, not dual core. I would be surprised if this is the case though. I can run games and stuff fine with FahCore in the background without a hitch. I would think if it is actually funning in the background at about 90% that it would slow it down significantly. But I have been noticing a difference with Titan Quest. Maybe some of the other games just didn't make much of a difference. Anyway, you are probably right. I will try to do some more research on the matter, but I figured it had something to do with the hyperthreading. Anyway, thanks for the post.

 
Nope Hyperthreadding makes the OS think there are 2 CPU's available even though there is only 1.


In that case when 1 CPU is loaded to 100% the overall CPU usage is 50%
(0+100)/2

So if you have an HT machine and FAH is eating up 50%, then you are just fine, its going as fast as Scotty can make it go.

It is the same way with True Dual Core CPU's. On my DualCore Opteron, when I have just 1 FAH going set to 100% the cpu usage shows 50% as its only using 50% of what I have avail. 2 instances of fah gives me 100%.

It just gets weird cuz you are using HT.

 
blksun000 said:
I can run games and stuff fine with FahCore in the background without a hitch. I would think if it is actually funning in the background at about 90% that it would slow it down significantly. But I have been noticing a difference with Titan Quest. Maybe some of the other games just didn't make much of a difference.

FAH releases the processes when higher priority threads (like games) want the processor. That is why you don't see any slow down. I can have 100% usage on a X2 by running 2 instances and play games with no problems.

The difference you are seeing in Titan Quest is probably more a memory issue than a process issue. FAH does not release the memory it has reserved so if you have to go to Virtual Memory then you will notice a slowdown.
 
just to say again...with HT on and it running at "50%" then you are fine and well on your way....Welcome to the Addiction....did you headbutt a roo yet?
 
ahh, unfortunately here in pennsylvania they are in rather short supply. But soon I will be moving to the great state of texas. Perhaps there are more there? I will do my best to track one down once I get all moved in.

 
Hito Bahadur said:
FAH releases the processes when higher priority threads (like games) want the processor. That is why you don't see any slow down. I can have 100% usage on a X2 by running 2 instances and play games with no problems.

The difference you are seeing in Titan Quest is probably more a memory issue than a process issue. FAH does not release the memory it has reserved so if you have to go to Virtual Memory then you will notice a slowdown.

Exactly right. Most people don't realize that the folding client really just runs during the time when the system idle process would normally run. Whenever you move the mouse or start another program, folding stops using the cpu and lets EVERYTHING else run instead. The great part is that computers are so fast these days that 95% of cpu's aren't working hard at all with normal usage, so folding has lots of time to do work. Unless you're converting DVD's into divx or something all day long, your folding will be fairly consistent.
 
Back
Top