FAH on a Mac Pro

natermeister

Limp Gawd
I *MIGHT* be getting a Mac Pro, a used one, two 2.8GHz quads. I know that the Linux and OSX SMP clients are very nearly identical in performance, so I would guess that the points production would be quite good.

Any ideas as to how much? I haven't run an intel quad under Linux in quite sometime, so I don't know what they're getting. I would guess this system would get 10k ppd easily, probably more.

Well my Q6600 @ 3.4 gets 2900ppd per 2 cores.

So I'd say about 5k per quad. That's my guess at least.

With the A1 or A2 core? I'm guessing A2, from what I've heard the Linux and OSX clients hardly use A1 at all anymore.

A2 core. The OSX client is basically the same thing as the Linux SMP client. The A1 core will give you about 2000PPD per two cores, so 8000PPD for the whole box rather than 10000PPD with an A2 unit.

Eh, I'll be using this system a lot and I don't think it has the juice to get these done fast enough. Eight 2.8GHz Hapertown cores is pretty much 'entry level' for those huge work units., if it was a dedicated folder I'd run them. If I were getting a Nehalem-EP Mac Pro, I'd probably run them as well.

I honestly doubt I'm going to pick up this machine, I'll probably end up getting a Nehalem or Westmere-EP based Mac Pro next year or build a similar Windows-based system for my Photoshop/Lightroom/Bibble and Premier needs.

Remember when F@H was about donating your spare cycles? :D

But how do you get into the top 20 ppd with just spare cycles?

My wife needs a GTX260 & Q6600 on her system. Facebook is intence these days.

Remember when F@H was about donating your spare cycles? :D

Nah, that's just what we tell the newbs to get them started. Then the addiction kicks in and they're too concerned about maximizing their PPD to question that.

Back