FAH and OpenSUSE

fastgeek

[H]ard|DCOTM x4 aka "That Company"
It's a lot easier to grab some random folding time during downtime on the various engineering servers I support if they stay on OpenSUSE 11.x than going through the trouble to install Ubuntu. The program seems to run well enough, but despite setting the flags correctly this time (hey, I learn!) I'm only getting A3 class SMP units. This is that dual E5-2680 system I've used before with fairly good results under Ubuntu. Have it set to big work units, -smp and -bigadv, have my passkey installed, etc. In all honesty I just made the fah folder, dumped fah6 in there and that was pretty much it; didn't setup folder sharing or any of that. One thing I have noticed is that Dynamic Load Balancing turns on each and every time with out fail.

Any thoughts?

*Quick Edit* Actually this system is running 12.1 64bit. Since it's being used for testing new stuff it's not the usual 11.2/11.4

Thanks! :)

I've found with bigadv that specifying the number of cores with the smp flag helps conjur the big units up - i.e.:

-smp 32 -bigadv

Having DLB starting reliably will make a lot of people jealous

I've found with bigadv that specifying the number of cores with the smp flag helps conjur the big units up - i.e.:

-smp 32 -bigadv

I will give that a try; but the software reports 32 cores when it starts. Who knows, maybe it's a case if left hand /right hand here.

Having DLB starting reliably will make a lot of people jealous

Well, if the other issues get resolved, then maybe OpenSUSE isn't such a bad idea. Then again, many fine minds have been working on TheKraken and I seem to recall the latest version works great. :)

Back