factory overclocked cards

Daemas

Gawd
any difference between standard reference cards and the superclocked turbocharged cards besides the cooling solution? I'm looking to watercool and overclock some cards but was wondering if I can just buy the standard reference card of if I need to buy the awesome cards. I realize that most of the price increase for those cards is due to the awesome cooling solutions (which I would be ripping off) and the factory overclock (which i would be zooming past a billion miles an hour). I know that some are touted as having sweet capacitors and chokes and such (those MSI cards come to mind).

Would save me quite a bit of scratch

I think in at least some cases the cards are binned in order for them to find out which cards can handle a factory overclock. So to that extent you have a better chance of getting a good overclocker with a pre-overclocked card. Both of my 4870x2's are factory overclocked yet they both still use the stock cooler.

The overclock on most factory OC is so small that I wouldn't think they would need to bin the chips. I have an XFX 5850 Black Edition which has a stock core of 765 vs 725 for the standard. I am now at 930 but many people are just as high with the standard.

I think the factory OC is just a way for the manufacturer to make an extra 10% of pure profit (mine was same price as standard or I wouldn't have bought it). If you're going to OC anyway, I would just buy the standard and save a few $$$.

Back