Facebook Will Instantly Translate Your Posts Into 44 Languages

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The social media giant is testing a “multilingual composer” that will automatically translate posts into the appropriate language. I wonder if it will do anything for all the posts out there that are already in “English.”

Businesses and celebrity types could already use this multilingual composer through Facebook’s Pages service. Each day, about 5,000 businesses and celebs publish nearly 10,000 posts in multiple languages. These are viewed about 70 million times a day, and more than a third of the time, they’re viewed in a foreign language. Ayan follows international footballers like Ronaldinho, a Brazilian star who uses composer to post not only in Portuguese, but Spanish and English. “I only see the English,” Ayan says. Now, millions of others can post in the same way.

Translation doesn't work very well though. Ever translate some chinese to english. You get very funny results sometimes.

Translation doesn't work very well though. Ever translate some chinese to english. You get very funny results sometimes.
Translation works pretty good most of the time. Some languages are just not that simple to translate.

Russian to English usually fails hard, at least using Google and Bing's translator, at least a couple of years ago. I'm sure some improvements have been made. I'm fairly fluent in Russian now so I no longer need it, and I can read it perfectly.

Back