Facebook Sued For Allegedly Intercepting Private Messages

HardOCP News

[H] News
I am shocked that Facebook would do something like this! Well, not shocked enough to do something about it, but I'm still shocked. ;)

On Monday, Matthew Campbell and Michael Hurley filed suit against Facebook with the Northern District Court of California. The men accuse Facebook of scanning private messages with URLs in them "for purposes including but not limited to data mining and user profiling." The suit asserts that this practice is a violation of the Electronic Communications Privacy Act.

How can anyone be surprised about this? I mean, seriously, they use everything that goes through their site. If you want it private, don't put it on Facebook.

wow.

back on your porch Grandpa, I can see Social media has you all riled up. :rolleyes:

Never post anything that you don't want anyone else to find out. A secret is only secured if you can keep it in yourself.

Never post anything that you don't want anyone else to find out. A secret is only secured if you can keep it in yourself.

3 questions.

1. Can the USPS read your letters?

2. Why or why not?

3. Is this scenario different then that?

Facebook scans every single post, photo, and private message on their server for threats. Why wouldn't they then use the info to make the site better? This should have been obvious when you can only archive your messages and weren't able to delete your account until last year, nothing you post is ever deleted from their servers.

I am not a fan of class action lawsuits ... most of them are just money grabs for the lawyers and although there are a few (very very few) cases where I would consider a class action lawsuit to be appropriate I don't consider this to be one of them

Unless you have a peer to peer direct connection with whoever you are talking to on the internet I think it is safe to assume that you do not have privacy on the internet (and even in that case I wouldn't assume it) ... if FB (or any other company) was reading the contents of my messages and turning the actual messages over to a 3rd party I would be concerned and agree that they are violating privacy ... if they are parsing the contents to deliver advertising then Welcome to the Internet (from Google on down I suspect every company that doesn't offer a subscription based service does that) ;)

How can anyone be surprised about this? I mean, seriously, they use everything that goes through their site. If you want it private, don't put it on Facebook.

Exactly!

3 questions.

1. Can the USPS read your letters?

2. Why or why not?

3. Is this scenario different then that?

Actually the USPS can read what's written on postcards you might send, and that is a better analogy since the messages being sent are open and clear.

None of my friends who are under 16 use Facebook. A few of them have accounts, but they're a lot like everyone's Google+ accounts that exist and are never accessed. Facebook is strictly the domain of old people (or occasional businesses looking for free advertising) and those people are going to pass away soon enough so the service will decline and then cease to exist when its no longer possible to farm it for worthwhile money. It's in an obvious state of decline because of the aging population. Worrying about what its doing witht the data it gets out of the fossils that use it is probably the least useful way to spend society's time.

I have some expectation of privacy without being data mined or spyed wherever I go by some third party. As a result, I stopped using all social media and maintain nothing Google related. Besides, I strongly believe that social media is destroying society by creating a new era of narscism and egocentrism. I do not understand the concept of selfies or why in the frickin hell people want to blog their every move or their every meal. I could care less that someone is with someone at some pub or eatery.

I do not understand all that hate about Facebook. I think it is a great social networking tool. I just graduated college and I still use it even though I am now in the workforce setting instead of an academic one. It helps me keep in touch with my close friends on the other side of the country. Additionally, getting people together is much quicker by just creating events. Sure, some people post "selfies" and whatnot, but that can be said the same about instagram and snapchat.

And the comment about "old people" using it, LOL. I'm not sure where you are getting your data, but LOL.

As much as I disagree with it, they may have a case based on the current lawsuit against gmail scanning through emails for targeted advertisement.

Stupidbook meant for stupid peeps and pathetic narcissists.

I guess you are calling Kyle and Steve stupid and pathetic narcissists.
I also forgot that you can't decide who you want to be friends with.... oh wait you can.
Nice troll attempt but bigger idiots have tried before.

Back