Facebook Reveals Data Sharing Contracts in 700 Page Congressional Release

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Facebook released a new 700 page document revealing 52 corporations that held contracts with the social media giant to create data sharing apps to make Facebook more effectively integrated into their devices. Facebook answered many of the 1,200 questions that members of Congress requested of Mark Zuckerberg during his House Energy and Commerce Committee sessions. Some of the corporations like Huawei, which is based in China; have been accused by Congress of being too close to the Chinese government which does not have to adhere to our data logging policies.

The Cambridge Analytica fiasco taught us that just being friends with a person that opts into an app with additional data sharing permissions means that your data is shared also. Facebook to their credit has ended 38 of the 52 contracts and plans to severe ties with seven more. I hope that people wake up and realize that free is never free when big data is involved.

The acknowledgment, which came in more than 700 pages of replies to the House Energy and Commerce Committee, is the fullest to date regarding reports that Facebook shared user data with some companies for years after it stopped doing so with most app makers. Some of the partnerships continued into this year, and some continue to this day, the documents say.

The list of these partners includes major American tech brands such as Apple, Amazon.com and Microsoft, along with South Korean tech giant Samsung and China-based companies Huawei and Alibaba. Not all of the companies are device makers; some make operating systems or other software.

Calling data sales "sharing" is a great piece of corporate spin.

Also: CHINA! CHINA! CHINA! THE RED MENACE! THE RED MENACE! BE AFRAID! OUR FREEDOMS ARE UNDER ATTACK! FEAR IS OUR GREATEST STRENGTH! THE RED MENACE! THE RED MENACE! CHINA! CHINA! CHINA!

That's the best spin of all.

Calling data sales "sharing" is a great piece of corporate spin.

Also: CHINA! CHINA! CHINA! THE RED MENACE! THE RED MENACE! BE AFRAID! OUR FREEDOMS ARE UNDER ATTACK! FEAR IS OUR GREATEST STRENGTH! THE RED MENACE! THE RED MENACE! CHINA! CHINA! CHINA!

That's the best spin of all.

Let's be honest. I understand that my messages and postings on social media can be used against me if I were to do something stupid. But I really don't want China or anyone else with my data parsing it to whomever they want. Would you find it amusing that the private images of your sock puppet made it onto TV in Thailand because the phone you bought maintains their database there? That's my main issue with companies like Facebook sharing my data with others.

Let's be honest. I understand that my messages and postings on social media can be used against me if I were to do something stupid. But I really don't want China or anyone else with my data parsing it to whomever they want. Would you find it amusing that the private images of your sock puppet made it onto TV in Thailand because the phone you bought maintains their database there? That's my main issue with companies like Facebook sharing my data with others.

I was referring to the "close ties to Chinese firms with 'close ties' to the RED MENACE Chinese government". That's not your message, that's an official line from the Bureau of Alternative Facts and Propaganda.

Considering the hundreds of billions governments in the US pour into US corporations and the nightmare level surveillance the US has been caught engaging in of late, it's probably smart to reassess who's really trustworthy. (The answer is nobody, the answer is always nobody.)

Plus, your sock puppet was on Dansu Dansu Mushi Mushi Happy Fun Hour already. It's was, to be honest, adorable.

Chinese government which does not have to adhere to our data logging policies

our data logging policies?? and what policies is that you are referring to? the ones where big business has complete reign over our data, and there isnt anything we can really do about it?

our data logging policies?? and what policies is that you are referring to? the ones where big business has complete reign over our data, and there isnt anything we can really do about it?
At least we can sue them at some point when they are located in America. When they are on the other side of the world, we're pretty much screwed. ;)

A scenario I see is the policy might state something to the effect they cannot share data of a certain type of XYZ company. A chinese company may get your data under that policy, because they are a certain type, and then share it with companies that the data wasn't intended to be given too.

A bit convoluted and definitely scare tactics, but in reference to your question, that's all I can see.

At least we can sue them at some point when they are located in America. When they are on the other side of the world, we're pretty much screwed. ;)

im waiting to see how this is going to play out

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/06/29/california_data_privacy_law/

the part that should scare everyone is..

And what's more it was signed in law on Thursday by Governor Brown just hours after it was passed, unanimously, by both houses in Sacramento

a bill passed.. unanimously.. LOL both sides 100% agreeing to a bill.. and swiftly.. can only mean one thing.. we.. the people, are about to get screwed

Back