Facebook Omits User Privacy Once Again

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
From May 18 to May 22, while Facebook was testing a new feature, around 14 million Facebook users had the default sharing setting for all new posts set to public. CNN is reporting that Facebook revealed the blunder today, and after Facebook employees discovered the problem, it went back and changed all 14 million users' posts to private, even posts that were meant to be public, which was a process that took 5 days.

Could social media as a whole just die in a fire already?

"We recently found a bug that automatically suggested posting publicly when some people were creating their Facebook posts," said Erin Egan, Facebook's chief privacy officer. "We have fixed this issue and starting today we are letting everyone affected know and asking them to review any posts they made during that time. To be clear, this bug did not impact anything people had posted before -- and they could still choose their audience just as they always have."

no problem .... Zuckerberg will just do another tour to say how sorry he is.

How many times do we need to be beat over the head before we all get it, they do not want us to have privacy. If they could get away with it we would all have a port on the back of our necks allowing the companies to plug straight in and read/program us.

Message boards and forums have been around LONG before the term "social media" was a thing. Therefore I don't equate them as the same.

Get off my lawn!

I like to think of forums as "classic social media" as opposed to the mass market garbage everybody is hanging out on these days...

In classic car terms it would be one of these.

6181917254f536c248e4088113e3985c.jpg

Gee, one might think they could use some of those millions of fake accounts as their test set for new features rather then real accounts.

Attachments

• 62b118f5639a8878e9995a2c37e13679--datsun-z-luxury-sports-cars.jpg
    62b118f5639a8878e9995a2c37e13679--datsun-z-luxury-sports-cars.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 0
one thing FB has shown is that the difference between your "public" and "private" posts.. is how much a company has to pay them to get it.

Technically, [H] is a social forum, but isn't a data-mining script ghetto like FB. Plus... feels more anti-social and that's why I like it.

If [H] were anything like Facebook, Kyle would be labeled Hitler and literally 90% of threads in GenMay would have the [Trigger Warning] tag.

Back