Facebook Entry Gets Office Worker Fired

HardOCP News

[H] News
Bored at work and feel like complaining about it on Facebook? Don’t. This story is brought to you by the department of “no duh

Her employer, Ivell Marketing and Logistics of Clacton, U.K., gave her this update: "Following your comments made on Facebook about your job and the company we feel it is better that, as you are not happy and do not enjoy your work we end your employment with Ivell Marketing & Logistics with immediate effect."

Don't allow people in your office to be your facebook friends and hide everything possible from people who are not your friends so they can't see things when they search you. Problem solved.

Don't allow people in your office to be your facebook friends and hide everything possible from people who are not your friends so they can't see things when they search you. Problem solved.

Yup my boss has facebook, he knows that I do to. But he can't find meeeee. :D

I was just wondering, but, well, how long and hard did the company think about snooping into its employee's personal Facebook pages? I only ask because I know there are some people who have zero tolerance for this kind of corporate behavior.

This is the snarky response from the blogger that wrote about all this. I have a few points to make:

1. ChrisMatyszczyk, you are an idiot for the obvious reason of:
2. IT'S NOT PRIVATE
3. IT'S NOT SNOOPING
4. IT'S PUBLICLY AVAILABLE

I am not saying her employer went over the top. They did. But that is a separate issue from what Chris is trying to make out of it.

As a person who just lost his job because of the bad economy I have little sympathy towards this person. When I was employed I would never say anything bad about my company on Facebook or any other social networking site even if it was boring for I rather keep my job than to be without one. Look at it from the employers perspective that what future customers to think their country is an exciting place to work for and they treat their employees fairly, but it doesn't look good when an employee undermines the company by stating that's it the place is boring. She stated she didn't left out the Company's Name, so I'm sure there were people who could put two and two together very easily and when I was working I went by this motto "Never Trust Anyone You Work For" for when it came to your job or their job it would be a no brainier for they would choose their job any day....sad but true.

This isn't over the top at all. What business person would want an uninvolved employee on their payroll? What pro sports team doesn't cut players for not trying hard enough? What politician doesn't resign when they say or do something stupid or criminal (besides Democrat I mean)?

Wait a second, people get fired for hating their jobs and actually speaking out about it?

SAY IT AIN'T SO... </sarcasm>

As if this is news... sheesh. :D

that type of monitoring of your employees does really constitute "snooping" to me. I find it hard to believe that they unintentionally read a 16 year girl's web out of how many. (considering that the management was almost certainly middle age at least)

I hope that she actually said something more then just the job was boring.

So you have to act professionally both at and outside your job ... GASP! who would have thought.

As a teacher I am legally required to do the above, why others aren't is beyond me.

This isn't over the top at all. What business person would want an uninvolved employee on their payroll? What pro sports team doesn't cut players for not trying hard enough? What politician doesn't resign when they say or do something stupid or criminal (besides Democrat I mean)?

a 16 year old complaining their job is boring doesn't fall in the same category, at least to me. If she said some worse then that, slandered the company or something I could see this (not agree) but what did she say that would harm the company? and then a personal response by the offender party? this really does strike me as being over the top, any decent employer would have at least delivered the news in a professional manner. If for no other reason then to avoid the criticism they have generated

If she made the post while on the clock and using company equipment, they may have some ground to stand on. If she made the post on her or someone else's non-company owned hardware off the clock, then there's a big problem here.

I know it's in the U.K. which has some fairly screwy laws to begin with (can say that about any country) but, even so, when you're off the clock you're not an employee... this is reaching a wee bit too far, I'd say.

Let me just say that BOTH Democrats and Republicans do stupid and criminal things all the time and get away with it. Torture anyone...?

I think the best way to prevent this to just not post at all. Life sucks? Job jobs? I don't care.

that type of monitoring of your employees does really constitute "snooping" to me. I find it hard to believe that they unintentionally read a 16 year girl's web out of how many. (considering that the management was almost certainly middle age at least)

Snooping is going through their drawers, snooping is putting your nose in private matters.

Being able to read a publicly posted comment is simply literacy.

Why do companies even allow access to Facebook, YouTube, and other NON-WORK RELATED sites on their company internet access is beyond me.

We restrict anything not work related. If you have a site you need to acces for legitimate business reasons, you submit it to our security and networking techs and they evaluate it and if it's deemed necessary they will unblock the site.... otherwise - too bad.

If you're at work, you SHOULD be doing work related tasks. If you have time to sit and fark around on Facebook, YouTube and other cr@p sites, then you're job probably isn't necessary and can be eliminated. And right now is NOT the time to be losing your job because you're BORED AT WORK, DON'T LIKE YOUR JOB, HATE YOUR BOSS, etc....

Why do companies even allow access to Facebook, YouTube, and other NON-WORK RELATED sites on their company internet access is beyond me.

Doesn't really say they did. She could have written it at home for all it matters. The link also doesn't say how they found out. If could have been another member of the company that brought it to the owners attention.

Do 16 year olds even get to have non-boring jobs? I think not.

And am I reading this correctly that the employer terminated her via an update post to her facebook page? The story lacks a lot of details and leaves many questions, but it "smells" bad to me.

I think a lot of folks are reading into this story. Not all the facts are being presented, which of course gives it a natural bias (Gasp! The media wouldn't do that intentionally, would they?). The story nicely omits whether this was done on company equipment and time.

Her comment of "They were just being nosy, going through everything. I think it is really sad, it makes them look stupid that they are going to be so petty." shows the kind of snotty self-serving attitude so many people display today. Here's a hint for her - Never bite the hand that feeds you! If you don't like your job - get out.

Or how about if you're an adult you stop using things such as Facebook/Myspace? We recently decided not to hire someone based on what we found on their Facebook page.

Yup my boss has facebook, he knows that I do to. But he can't find meeeee. :D

I love when people say things like this.

Once on the Internet always on the Internet. If somebody wants it bad enough they can find it or gain access to it.

I don't feet bad for this girl at all. She was stupid for posting things like that.

Snooping is going through their drawers, snooping is putting your nose in private matters.

Being able to read a publicly posted comment is simply literacy.

I was implying that they went looking, that is they were looking into the employee's personal affairs. eavesdroppers should not be surprised when they do not hear good of themselves. That may be a stretch as your right it was publicly posted but they still went looking for it. and again I would have more sympathy for the company if she either said something worse or they had handled it better.

Don't use Facebook, Myspace or any other retarded social networking site...Problem Solved.

I simply laugh at these people because it could have been so easily avoided.

Don't use Facebook, Myspace or any other retarded social networking site...Problem Solved.

Agreed.

maybe she'll get a better job.......but not likely stupid people have stupid jobs. Cant use facebook when you are taking my order at Taco bell.

Or how about if you're an adult you stop using things such as Facebook/Myspace? We recently decided not to hire someone based on what we found on their Facebook page.

Or at least be smart enough to pay attention to what you post.

I have a facebook page(I'm 25). One of the only reasons I got it is because some friends use it to send messages back and forth. Things like hey we are hitting this bar or hey my kids birthday is next week, want to come to chuck e cheese and help me out? Don't really think I have anything else on except maybe some pictures from when I went skiing with friends. The drunk pictures we have? Yea those are not being posted.

Jesus, the girl is 16. How about just pull her aside and say, "hey, that's not cool. Don't do that again or it's going to be an issue".

wrongful dismissal. at least if it was here. you can't just fire someone because they said "my job is boring"

some of the comments here are just amazing. Why do people sign their lives over to corporations? Companies and their policies are bringing legal slavery back ever so slowly with things like "you can't ever do such and such, even on your own time"

FTA:

"Stephen Ivell, the owner, thinks the company acted properly. He told the Telegraph: "It is just a shame that it did not work out because she is a lovely girl."

She was a lovely girl who was bored... Why the fuck did you fire her then?? Why not say to her "hey, if you're so bored, here's some work to keep yourself busy" or just tell her not to comment on her employment on facebook or anywhere else. this kind of crap is just utterly stupid.

If I ran a boring company which happens to be intellectual torture to work for, like Stephen Ivell does... I don't think I'd be all too surprised when the child labor I employ starts bitching about it on their face book account.

I hope she at least removed him from her friend list after he fired her.

possible their work has proxies - and they monitor all web activity.

I've heard of companies doing this before. It is becoming more and more common.

I've really never understood the appeal of such websites. Why the hell would you want your whole personal life on display for anyone in the world to see and read about? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Because intelligent employees can use the internet to the company's advantage. Unfortunately, that's probably the exception, not the rule.

Psh, loads of people hate their jobs with a passion - should everyone who hates their job get fired? Um, I don't think so, because if that were the case, then I'd say 90 percent of all people wouldn't have jobs! :D

Right, because everyone who "has a job" and "is an adult" DOESN'T hang out with friends...get drunk...have fun...do a dumb thing or two every once in a while? How 'bout no?

Get off it.

Rule #1. Don't let your boss know you are bored, even if you are. If you have nothing to do, pretend you are doing something. Sometimes it's just smoke an mirrors, but ya gotta keep your hands out of your pockets and don't let on you're bored.

I'm not sure what that writer was talking about though regarding "how long and hard did the company think about snooping into its employee's personal Facebook pages?". I don't use facebook but isn't it kind of an open concept? The idea being you write your dribble into facebook to let the world know every time you fart.

George Costanza had the right idea. Whenever someone walks by just act like you are pissed off and they will think you are busy.

I think a lot of folks are reading into this story. Not all the facts are being presented, which of course gives it a natural bias (Gasp! The media wouldn't do that intentionally, would they?). The story nicely omits whether this was done on company equipment and time.

Her comment of "They were just being nosy, going through everything. I think it is really sad, it makes them look stupid that they are going to be so petty." shows the kind of snotty self-serving attitude so many people display today. Here's a hint for her - Never bite the hand that feeds you! If you don't like your job - get out.

QFT. Did the story say WHAT she posted on her facebook? If she said, "I freaking really hate this job, it's the worst job ever," I would have fired her too. From a manager's standpoint, I don't want any worker that doesn't want to be there in the first place. Now that the girl is fired she probably realizes how good her job was.

Also, they were probably LOOKING for a reason to fire her because of poor performance. I'm sure everyone sees this in their own work place--a worker that hates their job are the worst performers. I saw that in all my jobs.

Back