Facebook Confirms Removal of Holocaust Denial Pages

HardOCP News

[H] News
A spokesman from Facebook has confirmed the removal of two Holocaust Denial pages. The company also stated that they will remove the remaining groups if they “degrade to the point of promoting hate or violence.” Good, couldn't happen to a nicer group.

"Two of the groups have been disabled, but the other three remain." He continued: "We are monitoring these groups and if the discussion among members degrades to the point of promoting hate or violence, despite whatever disclaimer the group description provides, we will take them down. This has happened in the past, especially when controversial groups are publicized."

While I believe that protected speech is usually the speech that makes our skin crawl, I also believe that as a private entity, Facebook has the right to do whatever they darn well please.

Has this been in a public (as in government-funded) forum, I would tend to side with the dumbasses but In this case I side with Facebook's right to do whatever they want to their site.

Denial of Holocaust is illegal in some countries as well, with heavy prison sentences. Good riddance anyways.

PsyKo[H];1034089473 said:
While I believe that protected speech is usually the speech that makes our skin crawl, I also believe that as a private entity, Facebook has the right to do whatever they darn well please.

Has this been in a public (as in government-funded) forum, I would tend to side with the dumbasses but In this case I side with Facebook's right to do whatever they want to their site.

Yeah but remember, that knife can cut both ways.

I didn't see the sites, though, in this case they were most likely justified, and were blatant hate sites.

Y
I didn't see the sites, though, in this case they were most likely justified, and were blatant hate sites.

I don;t care what you are saying or what type of site you have free speech is free speech by telling you that you can not say a certain thing takes free speech away.

This is ridiculous. You can't hide these people's idiocy in the hopes of "protecting" the masses and expect this sort of thing will go away. We need free speech like this to stay alive not only because it is a slippery slope censoring what's "bad", but also because seeing garbage like this helps keep track of where these wingnuts are.

As Facebook's servers are wholly private (Read: not purchased with taxpayer dollars), freedom of speech does not enter into the equation. Sleep well; free speech is alive and well.

I don;t care what you are saying or what type of site you have free speech is free speech by telling you that you can not say a certain thing takes free speech away.
I'm afraid I have to disagree with you and take Facebooks part on this. Is THEIR site.
For example: Lets say I come over to your house for dinner, but suddenly started dirty talking to your wife, and insulting your kids. Will you allow me free speech there, or will you kick me out of your house. I think the latter.

Free speech needs to have a limit, and I think private places like homes, and private websites like Facebook, deserve the right to their own rules as far as free speech goes. Of course, as long as it doesn't invade your individual freedom by duck taping your mouth, or something. That's the best example I can give, but I think you get what I mean.

So by the logic facebook is using, then every group created is owned by facebook, and facebook is responsible for it.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you and take Facebooks part on this. Is THEIR site.
For example: Lets say I come over to your house for dinner, but suddenly started dirty talking to your wife, and insulting your kids. Will you allow me free speech there, or will you kick me out of your house. I think the latter.

Free speech needs to have a limit, and I think private places like homes, and private websites like Facebook, deserve the right to their own rules as far as free speech goes. Of course, as long as it doesn't invade your individual freedom by duck taping your mouth, or something. That's the best example I can give, but I think you get what I mean.

I never said that I had a problem with facebook removing it. I just mean that in public and newspaper, etc... I do not believe anycensoship should be allowed but on a private website it's up to the owners.

Facebook is just a wonderful place for denial of freedom and a good place to help get you thrown in jail.

It is their servers. You can have all the speech you want, but they don't and won't host or have it on their webservers.

Obviously, Facebook has the right to regulate what is on their site, so this is not a legal issue. Even if this was a public forum, these particular groups may fall within the definition of fighting words, which are not covered by the First Amendment.

As for whether any censorship is moral or not, where you draw the line is a personal opinion, but I don't think this particular action goes too far. Just remember that an extreme is never (well, almost never) the best solution to a socioeconomic problem; the answer almost always lies somewhere in the middle. "No censorship at all, no matter what" is probably too general. Every rule has exceptions, including this one.

Finally, slippery slope is a fallacy, not a form of argument. Geez guys; didn't you ever take a logic course? Slippery slope is the only fallacy I know of that people are proud of using, to the point that they identify it, word-for-word, when using it. You wouldn't say, "hey guys! here's a red herring!", would you?

I never said that I had a problem with facebook removing it. I just mean that in public and newspaper, etc... I do not believe anycensoship should be allowed but on a private website it's up to the owners.

Nothing like contradicting yourself!

Facebook does not give you free reign to say anything you want. I am willing to bet that in the fine print they reserve the right to remove any pages the feel free to and for any reason the see fit.

Not even the [H]ard|forum promises free speech. They often delete posts and ban people for what they say if it does not fit into the confines of the forum. Only a fool would hold a forum and give there users free reign to say whatever they want as it would quickly lead to places noone wants to be.People and even governments have the right to censor speach and they often do. go to any city meeting and try to say whatever you want, they will quickly "ask" you to leave.
Write a letter to your local newspaper's editor and he will decide to publish it or not, this is also censorship.
Censorship in goverment and in the press is a fact of life.

Yes, because we each have the Constitutionally protected right to post what we like on Facebook. :rolleyes:

Freedom without limits can not coexist with a society. Total freedom would be terrible, it would mean it's fine to kill people and wear their faces as hats. Laws; restrictions; protect freedom from itself.

Similarly, the conventions of free speech do not mean you get to say absolutely anything. The freedom to express your own opinion doesn't mean you can use it to harass or slander, defraud or blackmail others. People have other basic rights that take precedence in these cases.

The fact is that it remains possible to share your views denying the holocaust on Facebook. You're just not allowed to promote acts of public violence. Is that not fair?

Facebook is exercising their free speech by denying the group's free speech...

look yes.. the holocaust was horrible... but how much longer do we have to hear about it? More catholics and chinese died in WWII than Jews... why dont we hear about them every second day... but hey Hitler obviously didn't like you, well you shouldnt have killed Jesus!! :p You know how muslims get when you draw a picture of mohammed... well those guys actually killed our saviour!! lol poor jews ;)

As said, bottom line, Facebook is a private entity- thus free speech laws DO NOT apply, period, end of it, you sign up, you agree to their terms.

/thread for those claiming otherwise

:)

look yes.. the holocaust was horrible... but how much longer do we have to hear about it? More catholics and chinese died in WWII than Jews... why dont we hear about them every second day... but hey Hitler obviously didn't like you, well you shouldnt have killed Jesus!! :p You know how muslims get when you draw a picture of mohammed... well those guys actually killed our saviour!! lol poor jews ;)

Ever hear the saying "Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it"? It's the hate mongers who try to deny the Holocaust ever happened that make it necessary to keep the memory of it alive.The rest of your statement isn't worthy of a response.

can you friggin people read other comments before you comment. I just had to sit here and read 10 people saying the same ****ing thing to get their e-penises hard.

the Holocaust deniers have done the best job of keeping the memory of the Holocaust alive recently

Ever hear the saying "Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it"? It's the hate mongers who try to deny the Holocaust ever happened that make it necessary to keep the memory of it alive.The rest of your statement isn't worthy of a response.

no my whole point was why is it so focussed on the jews when their casualties paled in comparison to some other specific groups? because of this over-the-top sympathy the jewish people have demanded we have atrocity that which is called Palestine. Funneling funds from the states like there is a surplus in the budget or something.

no my whole point was why is it so focussed on the jews when their casualties paled in comparison to some other specific groups? because of this over-the-top sympathy the jewish people have demanded we have atrocity that which is called Palestine. Funneling funds from the states like there is a surplus in the budget or something.

you sound like you belong in the soapbox.... :rolleyes:

Ever hear the saying "Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it"?

I HATE this term. History repeats itself regardless of being remembered. Genocide in Rwanda, Genocide "enter you choice country here" , torture, need I go on?

Anywho, What are we talking about again? A book on a Face? A book as a Face that speaks? A BOOK of a FACE that does SPEECHes for Free?

Facebook is just a wonderful place for denial of freedom and a good place to help get you thrown in jail.

You two need to read up what freedom of speech really is, I have the feeling that you both have absolutely no idea.

Holocaust? what's that? a new game? :D

oh boy a lot of the news in this subforum are Facebook related!! :confused:
better to stay away from there :eek:

I wholly believe in free speech.

Disclaimer: Free speech is defined as only that speech that I agree with. Don't like it? Meet my Remington

:D

Somebody talking dirty to your wife and insulting your kids is not considered illegal. Kicking (physically) somebody out of your house is illegal, and you could face charges. To be completely legal, you are supposed to call the police to have the person "lawfully" removed. See the difference there? The only time speech would be considered illegal is if they said physically threatening comments (harming you).

PsyKo[H];1034089473 said:

Facebook may be a private entity, but the internet is a public domain. A server on the internet for anybody to use is a public website. If it wants to be considered private, then it needs to be removed from public use (unplugged from the internet, or lock it down so only certain people can view/modify it). That is the nature of the internet. Don't want it to be on your website or publicly viewable? Then don't put it on the internet. Putting a server on the internet is like handing people on the street markers to write on the outside of your house.

So by the logic facebook is using, then every group created is owned by facebook, and facebook is responsible for it.

+1

Somebody talking dirty to your wife and insulting your kids is not considered illegal. Kicking (physically) somebody out of your house is illegal, and you could face charges. To be completely legal, you are supposed to call the police to have the person "lawfully" removed. See the difference there? The only time speech would be considered illegal is if they said physically threatening comments (harming you).

Depends which state you live in.

IIRC it's illegal to yell obscenities at women or children in Michigan even if they are your own, it can get you arrested.

In Texas, you can shoot the person out of your house.

Depends which state you live in.

IIRC it's illegal to yell obscenities at women or children in Michigan even if they are your own, it can get you arrested.

In Texas, you can shoot the person out of your house.

Guess I'll have to look up the Michigan thing. I wouldn't doubt it, because there are a lot stranger laws out there.

Really? So in Texas you can invite somebody into your house for dinner, then shoot them out? Interesting. "keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" ;)

I HATE this term. History repeats itself regardless of being remembered. Genocide in Rwanda, Genocide "enter you choice country here" , torture, need I go on?
No that's exactly why history repeats. It's the apathy of people ignoring history and allowing it to repeat. We are all supposed to learn from it.

So both (you and the quote) are right, but that's the sad part of it all.

Some people need to pull that 6ft pole out of the ass and just accept it. Holocaust was real and nothing can be change about it. Best to learn from it than to repeat it again.

Back