Facebook Android App Caught Seeking “Superuser” Clearance

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
There was an internal screw-up at Facebook this week that resulted in their Android app requesting “superuser” permissions, which, as described by the OS, grants “full access to your device.” While the issue has been fixed, it was bad timing for the social media giant, in light of recent data scandals.

“A coding error in one of our anti-fraud systems caused a small number of people running the Facebook app and certain permission management apps on rooted Android phones to see a request for additional access permissions. We do not need or want these permissions, and we have already fixed this issue. We apologize for any confusion,” Facebook commented.

Anyone that really needs to use facebook on their phone can just go to Facebook.com via the browser on their phone - no special permissions needed.

As you all have already gave Google browser all the same permissions.
fire or frying pan, your choice

I use Firefox on my phone personally. And even with the browser having the same permissions, that extra layer of security gives you much more control via browser plugins, settings, etc. In no way the same as Facebook having direct control over your phone.

Anyone that really needs to use facebook on their phone can just go to Facebook.com via the browser on their phone - no special permissions needed.
I thought they blocked mobile access to force you to use their app?

Wasn't blocked last time I used it, although there was no shortage of nagging prompts trying to get me to use the app instead.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
No way in hell FB would ever be put on my phone. This just solidifies that decision that much more. That said, shit like this is one reason I will never put banking software on my phone either.

No, just private messages are blocked and it nags you to use their Messenger app. But turn on the Desktop browsing mode in your browser and the site runs fine, even the mobile version.

We do not need or want these permissions

They don't need them? Hmmm....

They then followed up with "Next time we'll make sure the phone doesn't ask you for permission"

Fucking Cleetus "We're Not Evil, We're Just Stupid" Zuckerberg and his tribe of infinite monkeys (sitting at infinite computers) who accidentally managed to make a social app, a nuclear weapon, and an aboriginal copy of the complete works of Shakespeare, and now the only thing they can do to stop the destruction of the entire world is to throw their poop at hackers.

We don't need an internet Tsar, we need an internet Fuhrer, someone with the callous ability to invade Facebook with a division of Panzers.

P.S. (Mark Zuckerberg) "Today we're launching two new initiatives, a Facebook cryptocurrency that's been encrypted with your personal information and your entire friend's list, aaaand for people who have had their personal data stolen we have a new "Fair Play" identity theft equalizer that gives you the right to look at the personal data of up to three other people. And now, I'd like to .... hey, what is that rumbling sound?"

P.P.S. (sings) "It's springtiiiime for der Fuhrer on das interneeeet ... It's winter for Faaaacebook unt Maaaark ...."

Last edited:
Fucking Cleetus "We're Not Evil, We're Just Stupid" Zuckerberg and his tribe of infinite monkeys (sitting at infinite computers) who accidentally managed to make a social app, a nuclear weapon, and an aboriginal copy of the complete works of Shakespeare, and now the only thing they can do to stop the destruction of the entire world is to throw their poop at hackers.

We don't need an internet Tsar, we need an internet Fuhrer, someone with the callous ability to invade Facebook with a division of Panzers.

P.S. (Mark Zuckerberg) "Today we're launching two new initiatives, a Facebook cryptocurrency that's been encrypted with your personal information and your entire friend's list, aaaand for people who have had their personal data stolen we have a new "Fair Play" identity theft equalizer that gives you the right to look at the personal data of up to three other people. And now, I'd like to .... hey, what is that rumbling sound?"

P.P.S. (sings) "It's springtiiiime for der Fuhrer on das interneeeet ... It's winter for Faaaacebook unt Maaaark ...."

All I could think of after reading that...

The Racists, the Religious, and the Russians can keep Facebook. I will never go back.

Back