Fable Legends DX12 benchmark

Aside from power and proprietary stuff, is there any reason to buy a 970?

It's no worse than Nvidia fans over the last 10 years.
The AMD mantra used to be "I bought AMD because it was a better value", but has transformed into "I bought AMD because fuck Nvidia" over the last year or so. The debate has become incredibly vitriolic from their side, it's very disappointing... I guess that's Nvidia's fault, actually.

I find it hard to identify with a fanbase who prefers products because they are bitter with the competition. I guess that makes AMD fans just as bad as Nvidia fans today. In some sense the 'new' AMD mentality drove me away.

Never mind both companies are equally deceptive IMO. :D

Do you realize up till the r3xx series was released the top 3 OEM's (Lenovo, Dell, HP) were selling gtx 7xx and 9xx series with their PC only? As an add in card the gtx 970 doesn't make up much of the actual volume sales from either IHV. gotta look at the $150 to $200 dollar range for volume sales. And the 750 ti did its job very well.

And yet the 750 ti still has lower sales numbers on the amazon chart, and makes up a smaller number of steam builds.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

The 970 easily tops it. The new "volume" segment for gpus has shifted to the 300-350 dollar price point. This is the price segment most people target in higher numbers for their game builds, and the 970 no longer deserves the catbird seat there.

Because it's an overall better card. Not some power sucking rebadged dinosaur.

See it's simple logic.

Honestly though AMD fans insulting people for not buying their crap, is just one more reason why people steer clear of them. Maybe that 82% is just people not buying AMD out of spite.

The only way one can make that case, is if they define "better card" as "nvidia makes it"

If that is your definition, then sure, that statement holds. For everyone else, it's a false statement. You go ahead and turn nvidia into the iphone brand of your life, but to expect that crippled state of affairs to infect the gpu gaming market as well makes me hurl.

I had 290 clocked to decend speeds last year and to be honest 970 is definitely a better card. The massive difference in heat and noise is already enough to make it better buy but at least the games that I play definitely do not run worse on my GTX 970 @ 1,5 GHz (no voltage increase and I even manually made the fan curve less aggressive so it's way quieter than at stock and status in 60's). It felt like the driver overhead was problematic in some MMOs.

I had 290 clocked to decend speeds last year and to be honest 970 is definitely a better card. The massive difference in heat and noise is already enough to make it better buy but at least the games that I play definitely do not run worse on my GTX 970 @ 1,5 GHz (no voltage increase and I even manually made the fan curve less aggressive so it's way quieter than at stock and status in 60's). It felt like the driver overhead was problematic in some MMOs.

For games like wow the 970 will be better since it's just dx9/11.

Even the newer variants like the 390 that do NOT have the heat/noise issues you mentioned will probably lag a 970 a bit. See there people? This is a real example for the type of game where the 970 would be better. a cpu bottlenecking game like wow where amd has worse cpu throughput performance in dx11.

That said, I find it kind of disgraceful and LAZY for a company like blizzard/activision to not be making a dx12 code path for wow. Still a wildly profitable enterprise, and one of the types of games that would benefit MOST from jumping to dx12 due to the cpu overhead issues.

That said, I find it kind of disgraceful and LAZY for a company like blizzard/activision to not be making a dx12 code path for wow. Still a wildly profitable enterprise, and one of the types of games that would benefit MOST from jumping to dx12 due to the cpu overhead issues.
There's a new expansion coming, maybe it'll support DX12.
They could add it with a new patch someday. They jumped to DX11 after all.

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...lysm-Experimental-DirectX-11-support/Reviews/

And yet the 750 ti still has lower sales numbers on the amazon chart, and makes up a smaller number of steam builds.

The 970 easily tops it. The new "volume" segment for gpus has shifted to the 300-350 dollar price point. This is the price segment most people target in higher numbers for their game builds, and the 970 no longer deserves the catbird seat there.

No its not, OEM's sell more graphics cards than consumers buy cards at a retail or e-tailer.

This is why 3dfx died when they stopped OEM sales. 300+ dollar cards only account for maybe at most 10% of total sales in the discrete market.

No its not, OEM's sell more graphics cards than consumers buy cards at a retail or e-tailer.

This is why 3dfx died when they stopped OEM sales. 300+ dollar cards only account for maybe at most 10% of total sales in the discrete market.

On reflection, the 300-350 price point seems like the most popular target for a single gpu popularity (the 970). You are right that the segment as a whole for sub 300 dollar cards is higher but below a 750 ti class card should we care? Does it really make a big difference that some dell came with an nvidia 730? Most of the time when a gpu comes inside a tower or laptop it's a pretty anemic gpu unless it's explicitly billed as a gaming computer.

People stuck with that are mostly relegated to ultra low settings in everything but ancient games or light games like lol.

dragon age inquisition and the witcher and bf4 is not targetting that low segment, I'd say the minimum is something like a 750ti for a halfway decent experience at 1080p.

for people that buy in add in cards I don't think the 750 ti is what people will be looking for, but for people buying an off the shelf system the graphics card isn't that important to them, but if they get one that doesn't increase the price of the computer much they probably will. A decent $600 system can come with a 750 ti.

How many PC's do you think Dell, Lenovo, and HP sell? I would gander some where over 50% of the market cpu's and gpu's.

for people that buy in add in cards I don't think the 750 ti is what people will be looking for, but for people buying an off the shelf system the graphics card isn't that important to them, but if they get one that doesn't increase the price of the computer much they probably will. A decent $600 system can come with a 750 ti.

How many PC's do you think Dell, Lenovo, and HP sell? I would gander some where over 50% of the market cpu's and gpu's.

It's the opposite now, gpu makers are selling far fewer entry level gpus because integrated graphics has gotten good enough for most people. I've never seen a ti variant of anything in an electronics store, let alone a 750 ti. I think best buy has a couple gaming notebooks with a 860/960 but that's about it in stores. I've seen a smattering of entry level cards from time to time, but it's extremely rare. The discreet gpu market has shifted upward, and something like a 750 ti is near the bottom of what anyone ought to want. That's what you stick in an ultra budget build for sub 500 dollars, and built yourself as you'd never find it in store.

Some of you guys act as if the 390 blows the 970 out of the water in terms of performance, at least. We got the review from H, and from TPU (4k: 970-93: 390-99/100; 1440p 970-98: 390:99/100: 1080p 970-103: 390-99/100). Pretty close performance, so from where most consumers start to look at other metrics.

So, going by the same train of thought, aside from being more of a space heater (than the 970) and having 8Gb (that you'll never fully utilize, even in CF unless you like slideshows), is there any reason to buy a 390?

It's no worse than Nvidia fans over the last 10 years.
The AMD mantra used to be "I bought AMD because it was a better value", but has transformed into "I bought AMD because fuck Nvidia" over the last year or so. The debate has become incredibly vitriolic from their side, it's very disappointing... I guess that's Nvidia's fault, actually.

I find it hard to identify with a fanbase who prefers products because they are bitter with the competition. I guess that makes AMD fans just as bad as Nvidia fans today. In some sense the 'new' AMD mentality drove me away.

Cases with bad airflow is one.
Cases with weak power supply is two.
G-Sync is three.
3DVision is four.
SFF on a budget is five.

Those are all very niche use cases so yeah, for the majority of users it's a good thing to go with team red on this one.

So, going by the same train of thought, aside from being more of a space heater (than the 970) and having 8Gb (that you'll never fully utilize, even in CF unless you like slideshows), is there any reason to buy a 390?
The 970 has only 3.5 GB of usable memory, and it shows when you look for stuttering:
eZu02qp.gif

(Souce: Tech Report)

The 970 has only 3.5 GB of usable memory, and it shows when you look for stuttering:
eZu02qp.gif

(Souce: Tech Report)

In you img. there is a considerable difference between the 390x vs 390. Both have 8GB. Care to explain the difference of almost 3 times as much stuttering, as you put it?

Oh look i can cherry pick too (by the almost ~2,x difference here the 390 must be awful stuttery ). (Edit: just seen this, here the 980 is more stuttery than the 970. OMFG OMFG the plot thickens!!! )
fable-33ms.gif

I'd recommend you guys to wait for the game to actually show up and then cheer all you want. Until then we're talking on tech demos and alphas. ;)

Cherry Picking? I chose 16.7 ms because the TR article says that this is the most important value:
Tech Report said:
16.7 ms correlates to 60 FPS, that golden mark that we'd like to achieve (or surpass) for each and every frame, and 8.3 ms is a relatively new addition that equates to 120Hz, for those with fast gaming displays.
If you go to 8.3 ms the difference is still there (though at that point, this is less caused by stuttering and more by raw fps).

here the 980 is more stuttery than the 970. OMFG
The chart that you posted doesn't tell much, the difference between 22 ms and and 26 ms can be variation due to other factors than GPU performance. Which is more or less substantiated by the fact that the 970 beats the 980.

It's the opposite now, gpu makers are selling far fewer entry level gpus because integrated graphics has gotten good enough for most people. I've never seen a ti variant of anything in an electronics store, let alone a 750 ti. I think best buy has a couple gaming notebooks with a 860/960 but that's about it in stores. I've seen a smattering of entry level cards from time to time, but it's extremely rare. The discreet gpu market has shifted upward, and something like a 750 ti is near the bottom of what anyone ought to want. That's what you stick in an ultra budget build for sub 500 dollars, and built yourself as you'd never find it in store.

I think you would be surprised in how many people buy a low end discrete,;)

Just look at steam hardware survey

6 of the top 7 Graphics cards (didn't count the integrated or mobile) are low end 760 and lower. What does that tell ya, $200 cards and lower.

The market share gap has been about 60% to AMD 40% as far back as Q1 2007. With a slight contraction in 2010 Q2 2012 and Q2 2014.

Its not like the market share as a whole hasn't been in favor of Nvidia for quite a while.

As to the 3.5 GB thing it really isn't an issue for anyone, so it hasn't negatively effected sales. Just in synthetic benchmarks which has no impact on gaming.

The biggest issue is that most recently AMD has lost 22% of the market in 2014-2015, that's translates into a 50% decrease in market share for them.

I don't know where you get this crap from but it's a real issue. The OS will always see GTX 970 as a 4 Gb card so any game that needs more then 3.5Gb is going to try and use it which will result in horrible stuttering and fps drops.

I don't know where you get this crap from but it's a real issue. The OS will always see GTX 970 as a 4 Gb card so any game that needs more then 3.5Gb is going to try and use it which will result in horrible stuttering and fps drops.

The 970 was released with a price around 320 while the 290 had a price point of 400.

The card even with 3.5GB of RAM offered a very good price to performance ratio which is why it sold so well.

You might get some stuttering at some higher resolutions, but for the majority of games you will never see it.

Why was this issue not apparent during the reviews, if it actually effected performance it wouldn't have gotten such rave reviews from all the major hardware sites.

I'm going to put this here since I don't think it's important enough to warrant its own thread.

Nvidia - DX12 Do's and Don'ts
https://developer.nvidia.com/dx12-dos-and-donts

Check carefully if the use of a separate compute command queues really is advantageous
* Even for compute tasks that can in theory run in parallel with graphics tasks, the actual scheduling details of the parallel work on the GPU may not generate the results you hope for
* Be conscious of which asynchronous compute and graphics workloads can be scheduled together

Don’t toggle between compute and graphics on the same command queue more than absolutely necessary
* This is still a heavyweight switch to make

I'm going to put this here since I don't think it's important enough to warrant its own thread.

Nvidia - DX12 Do's and Don'ts
https://developer.nvidia.com/dx12-dos-and-donts

http://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/86783-nvidia-publishes-dx12-dos-donts-checklist-developers/

its just a view of good programming for Dx12.

The first part of your quote, if not using fine grade context switching (Maxwell 2 lacks this anyways, and GCN has it but with a minimal performance hit so better not to use it in a real-time app) so the programmer has to be aware of what are the best approaches to what compute tasks run well with the graphics work load and this varies with different hardware.

The second part of the quote is specific to context switching (Maxwell 2 again should not use this major performance hit, and for GCN same as above), which isn't recommended to be used in async shaders because it isn't necessary and is very slow.

Cherry Picking? I chose 16.7 ms because the TR article says that this is the most important value:

If you go to 8.3 ms the difference is still there (though at that point, this is less caused by stuttering and more by raw fps).

The chart that you posted doesn't tell much, the difference between 22 ms and and 26 ms can be variation due to other factors than GPU performance. Which is more or less substantiated by the fact that the 970 beats the 980.

Yes cherry pick, 60 FPS is goal but 58 fps is by no means a stuttering, more of a just not strong enough issue.

On other hand, the not even getting 30 fps is a much bigger issue, it's stuttering no excuse and you will notice them a lot more.

what is the point of this thread? shouldn't we forgo speculation until we have more reviews to compare? Say you speculate on this thread and the reviews come out and your speculation is proven right, what have you really gained ? E-Peen points?

what is the point of this thread? shouldn't we forgo speculation until we have more reviews to compare? Say you speculate on this thread and the reviews come out and your speculation is proven right, what have you really gained ? E-Peen points?

What you propose would reduce 90% of all forum traffic and cause wccftech to implode. Reality is too slow in coming to comment on, we need to fill the gaps with SOMETHING!

So sayeth the wise Alaundo/forum troll

Yes cherry pick, 60 FPS is goal but 58 fps is by no means a stuttering, more of a just not strong enough issue.

On other hand, the not even getting 30 fps is a much bigger issue, it's stuttering no excuse and you will notice them a lot more.
I will defer to TR who say that 16.7 ms (60 fps) is the golden mark to achieve, and 50.0 ms (20 fps) is where slowdown is perceptible.

You will be hard pressed to tell the difference between 22 ms and 57 ms above 33.3 ms, but 1785 ms vs 5397 ms above 16.7 ms is a whole other matter.

is this benchmark program free? where do i donwload it from?

It was only sent to selected members of the press from what I've read, but apparently the game will be out on October 13th. 6 more days.

play the battlefield beta until then, and then play this.

I will defer to TR who say that 16.7 ms (60 fps) is the golden mark to achieve, and 50.0 ms (20 fps) is where slowdown is perceptible.

OK?

You will be hard pressed to tell the difference between 22 ms and 57 ms above 33.3 ms, but 1785 ms vs 5397 ms above 16.7 ms is a whole other matter.

WTF are you talking about.

where did you get the 1785ms?????

Back