FAA approves first fully-automated commercial drone flight

HAL_404

[H]ard|Gawd
"The Federal Aviation Administration has approved the nation's first-ever fully automated commercial drone flights. . In documents posted to the FAA website, Massachusetts-based American Robotics Inc. got a partial grant of exemption on Jan. 14 that allows unmanned aircraft to fly beyond the line of sight of a remote pilot."

I live in semi-rural USA. I hope noise pollution isn't gonna kick in. IF it does I'll have to do something about it. Does anyone sell a mini Patriot missile system ;)

https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/faa-approves-commercial-drone-flights

You likely won't hear these things, my guess is they need to operate above one threshold and below another to avoid recreational and commercial air traffic.
fWhat is interesting is that I explained to my kids not to expect a robot helicopter to drop off crap on our front lawn basically ever. Wheeled ones? Sure. But anything in the air will eventually fall, and when they fall it really will depend what they are flying over. Damaging roofs, killing pets nad people and destroying property on the way down......we're a litigious bunch in the USA. However, if you're flying over unoccupied (or supposedly unoccupied land), that's a different story......you can use a reasonably up to date satellite map to tell your drone to avoid flying over anyplace humans might light or congregate. If you're out in the sticks however, this could be a game-changer. I mean assuming you're ordering pen refills and a couple boxes of Goldfish crackers....not sure how that's gonna work when you order up that subwoofer that's on sale :)

Time to buy some airspace so we can sue any company who's drone entered it. :)

Unless of course they pay a toll.

Back