F-Secure Says Conficker Worm is Widespread

HardOCP News

[H] News
A study, conducted by researchers at F-Secure, shows that the W32.Downadup worm has infected almost 2.4 million computers around the world and they think that is a conservative number. Yikes.

However, the bad guys only need to predetermine one possible domain for tomorrow, register it, and set up a website — and they then gain access to all of the infected machines. Pretty clever. But we can play this game as well. So we've determined the possible domains and have registered some of them for ourselves. Which means the infected machines will also connect to us.

"So we've determined the possible domains and have registered some of them for ourselves. Which means the infected machines will also connect to us"
So they can be sued for cybersquatting? ;)

"So we've determined the possible domains and have registered some of them for ourselves. Which means the infected machines will also connect to us"
So they can be sued for cybersquatting? ;)

I suppose if you or your business are named something like mphtfrxs or gxjofpj and they were attempting to sell said domains for a profit. :confused:

I like this quote better.

"Toni's final count is: 2,395,963 infections worldwide. This figure is conservative; the real number is certainly higher.

It would make for one big badass botnet."

I am pretty annoyed by these news reports. Great, there may be a virus out there with a probably overstated number of infected machines. Thanks for the scare tactic to drum your brand name up.

No how do I get it off the systems at work that I'm responsible for, or even confirm whether or not it's an issue in my network, how can I detect it? I hate fucking AV companies.

I'd google and have a quick look, only needs a MS patch and AV scan/dat update. Not too hard to remove if infected, requires a reboot.

Pain in the arse if it gets in, network capable, kills shares as well as other funky stuff.

Serious enough for us to patch 2k+ boxes a few weeks ago.

Back