F@H with BONIC & Hyper-V

Azuroth

n00b
Has anyone trying to fold with hyper-v where you have the VM folding as well as the actual machine ?

Thanks in advance

I haven't tried exactly that myself, but since it appears that nobody else has either, I'll chime in with what I do know.

My shop is exclusively Hyper-V, and when I need to burn in a pallet of new servers or run something to put a load onto either the host OS or a guest VM, BOINC (and typically WCG) is my tool of choice. If I have reason to burn cycles, I may as well have those cycles doing something useful, right?

BOINC is really easy to configure to use up to, but no more than, the number of CPU cores you specify, and it generally sticks to it. So if you have for example, a 16 core machine, run BOINC on the host and tell it to use say 75% of the cores. Then put F@H in the VM and allocate 4 cores to the VM. Adjust these numbers as desired.

Since it's been so long since I've ran F@H, can anyone else comment on how well you can fine tune it's resource usage (CPU cores specifically), and how well it stays within the parameters you specified?

I can't testify on the FAH client so much. However, the other thing to keep in mind if it matters is that BOINC will also create local user accounts on your Windows machine. Some businesses may not like that if you are putting it in a working environment, so keep that in mind. Security concerns come to mind. On a dedicated cruncher, it typically isn't an issue.

I don't run Hyper-V, but I have done this with BOINC on the host and BOINC within a VM using Virtualbox. There are a few projects that are Linux/Mac only and that is how I typically get work in at those projects.

The F@H client will run on however many threads you tell it to. From what I have seen it is usually pretty good at staying on however many cores it gets given. For max output I would run it off the [H] DC appliance in the VM.

Back