F@H v7, multiple users and the Startup folder

titan97

Gawd
For x-mas I was given a GTX 460 and I was finally able to join the ranks of GPU folding. This card was installed on a machine with 3 users (myself, the wife, and the kids). When I run F@H v7 and set it to startup during logon, everything plays nicely. But when I switch users, the GPU folding client dies. I know this is a limitation of Win7 and Vista. So I disabled Fast User Switching, thereby forcing only 1 user to be logged on at a time. I then placed a shortcut to the FAHClient in the startup folder of each user. When I double click on the shortcut in the startup folder, the Client picks back up where it left off. However, when this user logs off and another user logs on, the FAHClient shortcut doesn't start up. Yet if I double click on the shortcut in the Startup Folder, the Client works just fine.

What am I doing wrong?

You may have to add a string value to the registry that actually tells the client to start up on all users login. If you have a server it would be super easy via a group policy, but on a single machine, you will have to go directly into the registry and enter the string value to start up the actual client.

Add a new startup application
Open your registry and find the key [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run].

For each program you want to start automatically create a new string value using a descriptive name, and set the value of the string to the program executable.

For example, to automatically start Notepad, add a new entry of "Notepad"="c:\windows\notepad.exe".

<-- snip-it from: http://www.pctools.com/guides/registry/detail/109/

Using this method your also capable of telling the client to add in your -smp or -advmethod tags as well to the end of the string.... exp: ' "c:\folding@HomeSMP\[email protected]" -smp -advmethods '

Then new v7 requires you to run the executable in the Data folder. How do I edit the registry to run the executable in another path?

Or can I run a .lnk file?

My shortcut looks like this:

Target: C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /K "C:\Program Files (x86)\FAHClient\FAHClient.exe"

Start In: C:\ProgramData\FAHClient

Wouldn't it be about as easy to set this up in task scheduler to run at log on? Looking through the options it gives the option of any user so .. it might work.. ?

As I understand it, Task Scheduler does not work with shortcuts. So, unless you know how to setup Task Scheduler to run an .exe in another folder, I'm back to square one.

As I understand it, Task Scheduler does not work with shortcuts. So, unless you know how to setup Task Scheduler to run an .exe in another folder, I'm back to square one.

You have task scheduler start a batch file that can open an .exe

@echo off
start /d "path" file.exe

It looks like Task Scheduler works. It has a place to enter a "Run In" path, plus a place for arguments, etc. I copied the fields out of my original shortcut and placed them in the Task Scheduler fields. It even noticed that I had entered flags/arguments and moved them from the execuable path to the arguments field.

Thanks [H]!

It looks like Task Scheduler works. It has a place to enter a "Run In" path, plus a place for arguments, etc. I copied the fields out of my original shortcut and placed them in the Task Scheduler fields. It even noticed that I had entered flags/arguments and moved them from the execuable path to the arguments field.

Thanks [H]!

Awesome!

Thanks [H]!

Great to hear. my work around attempt resulted in the client "sleeping" instead of completely hung but we're still losing points. I will try task scheduler too. thanks for the post

EDIT: was working for awhile but will EUE pause if user switched when WU completes. Maybe the registry hack will work?

Last edited:
Back