F @H SMP client locking up machine when system otherwise idle?

cyclone3d

Fully [H]
2FA
Joined
Aug 16, 2004
Messages
18,427
I am trying to get the SMP client to run reliably on my machine.

If I am doing other stuff while it is running, it is fine. Even playign games while the SMP clent is running keeps it from locking up.

I've been monitoring the CPU usage to make sure the SMP client is still working while I am doing other stuff, and it is. The CPU load doesn't go down, and I can watch it progress through the work unit that is running via the console.

If I leave the SMP client running and walk away from my machine, it will lockup or BSOD in anywhere from about 5-20 minutes.

Temps aren't getting too high, and I have even tried scaling down the CPU usage of the SMP client to 40% CPU usage. No change.
 
SMP is sensitive to RAM stability. Try backing your RAM speeds down and see what happens.
 
Also, check your power management settings to make sure that your system is not cutting the power to some component after XX minutes of inactivity.
 
SMP is sensitive to RAM stability. Try backing your RAM speeds down and see what happens.

Will check this out. If it is the RAM, it is more likely the timings and not the speed itself.

Already ran a full HCI memtest on the RAM and it passed fine... I'll mess with the timings, etc. and see if I can get it working properly.

Strange that it will pass LinX and IntelBurntest and fail on F@H though.
 
I had that happen to me yesterday with a 2682 where I'd walk away for a few hours and in the meantime the system crashed back to the login screen. I backed off the RAM timings and I have not had a problem since then.
 
I had that happen to me yesterday with a 2682 where I'd walk away for a few hours and in the meantime the system crashed back to the login screen. I backed off the RAM timings and I have not had a problem since then.

I think I've got it mostly figured out.

It was LinX stable with default LinX settings. I moved it up to used 1GB of RAM and it crashed within 1 minute.

I've been messing with mostly voltages all day and have gotten it up to where it almost passes 50 passes of LinX using 1GB of RAM.

I decided to call it a day on the tweaking front and maybe mess with it tomorrow if it crashes tonight.
 
I think I've got it mostly figured out.

It was LinX stable with default LinX settings. I moved it up to used 1GB of RAM and it crashed within 1 minute.

I've been messing with mostly voltages all day and have gotten it up to where it almost passes 50 passes of LinX using 1GB of RAM.

I decided to call it a day on the tweaking front and maybe mess with it tomorrow if it crashes tonight.


my guess is a little more NB voltage tweaking and you will probably get it stable.. 2000mhz is going to require a pretty decent NB voltage increase..
 
This is completely insane.

As long as I am doing other stuff on my computer while the SMP client is running, it is fine. No errors, no crashes.

I've watched it for 2+ hours on one of my side monitors while playing games, browsing, etc.

As soon as I walk away from my computer, I can give it about 5 minutes and the SMP client either causes a reboot or a hard lock.

I've tried adjusting voltages, ram timings, etc. nothing makes a difference.
 
I think I may have figured it out.

I decided to change the fan on the side of my case around so it is an intake instead of an exhaust.

CPU temps dropped by 2c under LinX load and my GTS250 F@H load temps dropped a whopping 15c.

I then ran LinX for 50 passes using 1GB RAM. It finally passed.

I am thinking that maybe something on the motherboard near the GTS250 was overheating and that is what was causing the weird SMP client issues.
 
Glad she is working. Post up some numbers once you have them. That is a serious overclock with some even more serious memory speed!
 
Glad she is working. Post up some numbers once you have them. That is a serious overclock with some even more serious memory speed!

Will do. What is the easiest way to figure out ppd?

Also, mine won't be quite as high as a dedicated machine because this is my main computer that I work and game on.
 
Will do. What is the easiest way to figure out ppd?

Also, mine won't be quite as high as a dedicated machine because this is my main computer that I work and game on.


i think what a lot of people want to see is how much faster your rig is then everyone elses with the memory running at DDR3 2005mhz.. that alone should give you a couple thousand more PPD..
 
O.k., I have HFM.net setup and configured.

Looks like my GTS250 is going to give about 6k ppd... not overclocked.

The SMP client is set to run on 7 threads right now. It is up to 7.7k ppd, but should go up some more as it started out slow since I had been stopping and starting the client back up. Fastest A3 step so far looked to be at about 9.1k
edit: not sure where the 9.1k came from... I am guessing it was the step that was already partially done. /edit

CPU usage jumps between 85-87%.

How much more are the bigadv units worth?

Also, when I restart it it always says "Previous termination of core was improper. Going to use standard loops." Will that affect the speed at all?
 
Last edited:
My system is still apparently unstable.... If I leave it alone for a while it will give a machine check error BSOD.

It passes 50 passes of LinX, IntelBurntest, etc.... but BSODs when I leave it alone.... very weird to say the least.

As far as my points that I posted.. does that look about right, or is it lower then it should be?
 
Your points look low by about half. Is HFM set to show bonus credit (Edit - Preferences - Options)? Do you have a passkey, and have you run 10 units on your passkey? It may be normal.
 
I think musky's on the right track. Do you have a passkey from Stanford? You need to edit your client config and add the passkey to get the bonus points.

Can you pass LinX using 4GB or more of RAM? You're running a pretty serious overclock for F@H, and my guess is you're right on the edge of stability. Up the RAM in LinX and see if you still pass.
 
Your points look low by about half. Is HFM set to show bonus credit (Edit - Preferences - Options)? Do you have a passkey, and have you run 10 units on your passkey? It may be normal.

Yep, I have a passkey. I haven't completed 10 A3 units yet, so it may be normal.

And I do have it set to show bonus points.

I wrote down my settings and am starting over from scratch on my overclock. Have it at 3.34Ghz right now. I am going to let it run overnight and see what happens. I am suspecting it will be fine.

If it doesn't have problems, I will up it some more and do more testing.
 
1. Get her stable running regular A3 SMP units
2. Run out the rest of your 10 regular A3 SMP units
3. Worry about ppd - if you get close to where you were on the o/c, you should be in the 20K ppd neighborhood on regular A3 SMP
4. Let her rip on bigadv and see 30K+ ppd
 
O.k., I have HFM.net setup and configured.

Looks like my GTS250 is going to give about 6k ppd... not overclocked.

The SMP client is set to run on 7 threads right now. It is up to 7.7k ppd, but should go up some more as it started out slow since I had been stopping and starting the client back up. Fastest A3 step so far looked to be at about 9.1k
edit: not sure where the 9.1k came from... I am guessing it was the step that was already partially done. /edit

CPU usage jumps between 85-87%.

How much more are the bigadv units worth?

Also, when I restart it it always says "Previous termination of core was improper. Going to use standard loops." Will that affect the speed at all?


in the shortcut put -forceacm it will fix that standard loop crap.. which is why your PPD looks like shizat!
 
in the shortcut put -forceacm it will fix that standard loop crap.. which is why your PPD looks like shizat!

In theory, it doesn't matter. The SMP client supposedly has -forceasm on by default, so the standard loops message really doesn't mean anything. That being said, I always use the -forceasm flag myself because the message bothers me. It definately doesn't hurt anything.
 
In theory, it doesn't matter. The SMP client supposedly has -forceasm on by default, so the standard loops message really doesn't mean anything. That being said, I always use the -forceasm flag myself because the message bothers me. It definately doesn't hurt anything.


yeah i thought the same thing.. then it happened to me went to standard loop and i lost 1000 PPD and on an AMD x4 1000 PPD is a huge amount..
 
-forceasm might have made a tiny difference.

Still getting sucky ppd though... maybe it is just because I am not getting bonus points yet.
 
-forceasm might have made a tiny difference.

Still getting sucky ppd though... maybe it is just because I am not getting bonus points yet.


are you basing your PPD off what HFM is saying? make sure you have HFM showing last 3 frames(little tired so i might of missed if some one already suggested that) and bonus points..
 
O.k., now that it is stable in LinX on the 4GB test I'll see what happens.

I have HFM to base off last 3 frames and to account for bonus points.
 
Hehe.. this is more like it... Last frame took 07:04. That is down a whole minute from the fastest frame it had done when it was still having issues.

The ppd went up to 13,287.

edit:
Average is up to 13,908.

Fastest frame so far was done in 06:48 with a ppd of 14,076.
/edit

edit2:
First sucessful overnight run brought the SMP client up to 21425 ppd.
/edit2
 
Last edited:
Back
Top