F@H Passkey questions

extide

2[H]4U
So, I have folded for years with no passkey, and not on a team. This weekend I would like to move over to team 33 and include a passkey.

My question is, what will happen to machines that I do not get the passkey on immediately? (Some of my folding boxes I do not have physical access to during the weekend.)

I ran a machine without a passkey for a little while, you don't seem to get bonus points for that boxen but nothing worse than that. And, Welcome!

Someone will bring beer and tomales, promise. :D

Definitely no bonus points without a passkey and 10 completed WUs while it is associated.
I think if you already have a username you want to continue using, adding the team # is all you need.
But if you have "bonus capable" HW you also want to add the passkey to those for full credit.

Regarding Passkey's......

Your passkey is based on your f@h username and the email address you use to request one.
All new passkey's must complete 10 WU within the preferred deadline to qualify the passkey for bonus points.
Its is recommended that in order to qualify the passkey as quick as possible set the machine to run standard SMP until the 10 WU are complete.
You must keep an average of 80% or more WU completed within the preferred deadline in order to keep the passkey qualified for bonus points.
Once qualified you will earn bonus points for all SMP and some uni proc WU as long as you finish before the preferred deadline.
It does NOT matter if you subsequently change team numbers ( I use the same one on both teams I fold for).
You can use the same passkey on however much hardware you want as long as you use the same username.
Should you want to change username you need a new passkey.
Deadlines are taken from the time the server downloads the unit to your rig to the time the server receives the unit back.

Hope that helps clear any confusion

Welcome aboard the team!!:D
Now who has the beer????

So, it sounds like those other boxes will just continue working under my name then, ok thats perfect.....

Just be sure and add the team number to them as well when you get access again so your name under the [H] banner will accumulate those deserved points. ;)

Yeah, well as I get to boxes I will add the team and passkey. I just went through a few, I still had some running that old crappie mpich client! Got rid of that junk! 5 machines running SMP moved over...

Unless you are doing smp type projects, passkeys only give your contributions security if anopther bot causes a points wipe again.

Unless you are doing smp type projects, passkeys only give your contributions security if anopther bot causes a points wipe again.

Not entirely, there are some uni proc wu out there running core a4 which are eligible for bonus points, this will become the norm as the older core 78 is gradually retired

all of my machines run smp, no single core boxes, and none that can run bigadv (anymore)
Most of them are kinda slow though, several are core 2 duo boxes, amd 64 x2 boxes, some core 2 quad, theres a phenom 1 quad in there, some athlon 2 X2's, phenom 2 X2's, etc, but I have a 2500K at 4.4 Ghz, and my 3930K at 4.8Ghz going so there should be some decent production going. There are 3 or 4 boxes I will have to move over later in the week, but everything else is rolling. Disappointing that my 3930K can break 50ppd on the right units, but my 7970, cant even break 10k.

How exactly can I set that up? Is it a VM ?

I am just running regular windows SMP right now...

EDIT: N/M I found the guide.

What is suggested, make virtualbox see 16 core? or 24? As 16 is the minimum for bigadv, but 24 would evenly load 2 threads on each logical core...

So a 3930K at 4.8Ghz is fast enough to run bigadv and get them in by the deadlines?

Last edited:
please do not mention the core hack, it is not something that we agree with

Sorry about that.

So, what is the optimum [H] sanctioned way of running my 3930k ? As it is with windows and SMP? Or in a vm ?

Sorry about that.

So, what is the optimum [H] sanctioned way of running my 3930k ? As it is with windows and SMP? Or in a vm ?

A VM should get you 6901/6903/6904 projects until they are finished. After that it will be SMP on either windows or a VM.

A VM should get you 6901/6903/6904 projects until they are finished. After that it will be SMP on either windows or a VM.

What do you mean by that? Are those projects going away? What are the official minimum requirements for those WU's?

SF increase number of cores requirement for big WU as time pass by. It was 8 last year and now it is 12. In the future it will be 16.

Currently if you use flag bigadv it will require 12 which 3930k and VM meets
If you join beta team and fold big WU from beta now the requirement is 16.

So when this beta WUs roll out to public, my guess is 3930k can not fold big WU anymore and have to go back to normal SMP.

If you read announcement in SF forum, you will find out more.

Regarding Passkey's......

Your passkey is based on your f@h username and the email address you use to request one.
All new passkey's must complete 10 WU within the preferred deadline to qualify the passkey for bonus points.

snip

Should you want to change username you need a new passkey.

Nailed those complex bonus program rules, except for one small correction. You do not need to get a new passkey to fold with a new user name. Just configure the client with the new name, and keep on going.

However, if you change your user name, you will need to requalify that user name with your existing passkey, i.e. fold another 10 WUs with the new name and existing passkey. Then bonus kicks in again.

If you change your name, you can get a new passkey if you want, but you still have to fold 10 more WUs to qualify the new name and new passkey, so no real advantage to getting a new passkey.

Back