F@H Back on Off Hours

wings2004

Limp Gawd
Howdy all,

It's been a while since I've contributed but I wanted to say I'm back and also ask a question. I live in the Bay area of Cali and electricity here is VERY expensive depending on time of day (I've got an EV so I don't have to worry about tiers just buckets). I'm interested in contributing to the F@H project but only during designated off peak hours. Most of the time during peak hours my computer will be off and I won't have to worry about it but I have two different situations.

1. My windows 7 desktop has a 970 and I've been folding with just the GPU. I can manually control this but it certainly would be nice if it could be automated.

2. I've got a 4p that I used to fold with a couple years ago, is it worth bringing that back on line and is there a way to program it to only fold during off peak time, self boot and shutdown would be a bonus as I'd like that to be as hands off as possible. It's running an older version of Ubuntu that had a bunch of the bigADV tweaks but I'm not sure if it would even fall under that category anymore. Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks and looking forward to helping!

Wings

"Worth" is a tough question. However, you may want to let others know what chips you have. I'm not fluent with Linux nor a lot of experience with the FAH client, but I am familiar quite a bit with the BOINC client. So, if you don't fire up that 4P for FAH, then the team could certainly use its horsepower at one or more of the BOINC based projects. The BOINC client has options in it to designate times of day and days of week to run if you wanted to just suspend the work units during certain times. Then you could look for settings to automate your OS to put the system in hibernation during certain hours. Just some food for thought.

I think the chips are 6128's I'm hoping to stick with FAH but in general I realize that it's rather old and the client I am using is likely no longer supported. Would be interested in switching to the BOINC if there isn't a way to do things easy with FAH. Also the 4P is currently headless, while I can hook in, I'd prefer not.

I feel you on living in CAL, lived there 45 years and everything is overpriced, good luck with your setup.

What could 4x6128 get you back in the day of BigAdv? Take that number and cut it in half or a third and you'll probably get a rough idea on the PPD. It sucks big time and is probably not worth it. Running a GTX 970 you can get 275K to 300K PPD using a lot less power. I'm not sure about configuring F@H to only run GPU WUs based on time of day.

brilong is correct. If power is that expensive then the 4p won't be worth the measly PPD you'll get. Steer it towards BOINC if you want, I recently put my old Q6600 and a laptop to it myself. Gilthanis is very versed in the BOINC world and would no doubt give you some useful advice. As for the 970 it would be very helpful for the [H]orde and is arguably one of the best PPD/watt cards out there. Just got one myself less than a month ago and it gets the PPD brilong says usually, a little less on some of the new core 21 projects. Welcome back

Yeah, unfortunately I estimate that bringing the 4p up full time would be an extra $125/month or more with the cost of electricity. If electricity was reasonably priced I would be happy to run [H]ard but for now I'm thinking nights and weekends as best I can. Thanks for the feedback! I'll try to keep the GPU running hot as much as possible.

Yeah, unfortunately I estimate that bringing the 4p up full time would be an extra $125/month or more with the cost of electricity.

That justifies a second GTX 970 for the [H]orde. Two months of electricity bills running that 4p would pay for a B-stock card from EVGA. :D

How did you know I was looking at something just yesterday... but I was considering mixing manufacturers, I think I want to stick with EVGA... need to keep an eye out for that card...

Back