• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

F@H affecting my video playback

Matrox462

Gawd
Joined
Feb 25, 2004
Messages
926
I just started folding last night with F@H, but for some reason F@H causes video playback to become extremely choppy. I have its priority set to idle. Both Windows Media Player and VideoLAN are experiencing this problem. And it's not specific to a video codec either, I tested a few different formats...

So how come when I fold, I can't view any kind of video (even low in resolution) without it playing at 2fps... :(
 
Which version of F@H are you running, console or graphical? The graphical client has issues which will affect gaming and other video related activities. If you are running graphical you would be best advised to run the console client and something like EM3 to monitor your folding activities.

 
512Mb of RAM, showing 175Mb free right now while folding and using Firefox and iTunes.

I am using the graphical client. After this WU finishes, I will try the console one out.

EM3 gave me problems :( all the text in it wasn't lined up properly. Is there any other monitoring tools that you'd suggest?

edit: nm, see a ton of monitors in the sticky :p
 
Yup, I've never had a problem with the console client...

512MB you should be golden, even for the latest cores... but the graphical client has a few known clitches....


Keep on Folding!! For the [H]orde!!

 
on an off chance... which CPU are you running, and are you using -advmethods and -forceasm?
 
When you try the console version first do not select big packets, Also If you have any problems try cutting back the CPU usage to say 80%,
80% of something is a lot better than nothing.
Also - what are the basics specs of your machine?
CPU, bus speed, 512mb of what RAM.
 
Best guess is the graphical client though. It is sensitive. I never consider it because I haven't used it in a while.

Your mem should be enough as everyone else has stated.
 
If QMD's are being run though, along with graphical client...

could make a hell of a difference
 
Intel P4 2.26Ghz (Without HT), 533FSB, 512MB PC2100 (I really need a mobo and CPU upgrade!), Dual 80Gb HDs (Also 1 external 80Gb HD), PNY 6800 GT

I'm not using -advmethods and -forceasm, should I once I download the console version?

Do not select big packets? Why is that?
Also, I would prefer not to cut the CPU usage down... everything else runs perfectly :) Temps are also excellent. Hopefully the console version will fix my video issue.
 
well with those two flags it is possible to get QMD cores, which lock up ~400mb of your ram.. i notice a big difference in system usage on my work computer (512 ram p4 3ghz chip) but if you dont have those, then the basis of the problems will be your graphical client

With the big packets turned off (and no - flags) it will decrease the amount of memory your computer is using to free up for the video stuff
 
I would not use -advmethods with the amount of memory you have and since you are using it as a primary computer. Do use -forceasm though.

Unless things have recently changed, I think you need to have big WUs and -advmethods to get the QMD cores (huge amount of memory). Setting it to big WUs will take more memory, but with 512MB you "should" be okay although you will have to monitor it. You will get more points per day if you leave big WUs, but it may slow down you system a bit. Your call.


 
Thank you for all your suggestion guys :)

After my WU is finished (which should be early tomorrow), I'll uninstall the graphical client and install the console client.

As far as the large WU's, I'll probably try enable that. Even though this is my main computer, I have a second installation of XP that I use for gaming (that OS has about 420Mb of free RAM at bootup). Since I don't game on this OS, higher memory usage isn't that big of deal. I don't, however, want about 400Mb of my memory being used for folding... I'll probably start seeing a lot of performance hits if it's that high.

I'll just give it a shot and see what happens :)
 
you might not even need to switch clients, hit Ctrl+Alt+Del to bring up your task manager, and find the process that your video player is (i.e. MyVideoPLayar!!.exe)

right-click it and set the priority to "Above Normal"

that should solve the problem.
 
Carnival Forces said:
you might not even need to switch clients, hit Ctrl+Alt+Del to bring up your task manager, and find the process that your video player is (i.e. MyVideoPLayar!!.exe)

right-click it and set the priority to "Above Normal"

that should solve the problem.

Didn't work, even at setting it to "High". I want to ditch the graphical version anyways.

Besides, I wouldn't want to have to change the process priority everytime I play a video file.

Thanks for the suggestion though :)
 
I'm glad it's fixed! As for your problem with EM3 and fonts, are you using large fonts by any chance? If so, you might be able to fix the problem just by switching back to normal font sizes. I haven't used EM3 for a while, but I had that problem once in an older version.
 
Mattman said:
I'm glad it's fixed! As for your problem with EM3 and fonts, are you using large fonts by any chance? If so, you might be able to fix the problem just by switching back to normal font sizes. I haven't used EM3 for a while, but I had that problem once in an older version.

Thanks. Yep, I do have a custom font size (105% DPI). I kind of figured that was the problem since every so often a program gets a little messed up due to it. I don't want to change though. I already downloaded FAH LogStats and am please with it so far.
 
Matrox462 said:
Thanks. Yep, I do have a custom font size (105% DPI). I kind of figured that was the problem since every so often a program gets a little messed up due to it. I don't want to change though. I already downloaded FAH LogStats and am please with it so far.
That's probably it. Oh well, if you want to use EM3, at least you know where to look to try and fix it.
 
Back
Top