F.E.A.R. + X800XTPE + 3.4Ghz EE = HELP!

zappo_ee

n00b
Hey all,

Small problem with F.E.A.R.at the moment, I think it's related to my ASUS X800XT-PE... looking for a lil advice :D

Basically, mid-play, the game will lock up and after a few seconds the screen loses signal, looking at the graphics card the LEDs on the cooler have shut off and the machine is hard-locked.

The card is generally pretty hot too :mad: but then as I don't check it usually it may be normal...

I've got a 'Card Cooler XT' 80mm fan over it at the moment, and the crashes are marginally less frequent when I drop the game from high detail to medium, but it's still happening and I'm rather bummed at the prospect of having to play at low detail when my machine is capable of more :((

It may well be heat, for some reason the ATI icon in my system tray doesn't report temps though :confused: would that be why VPU recover isn't stepping in?

The spec:
3.4Ghz Extreme Edition P4 (800FSB I think)
Gigabyte GA-8AENXP-D i925x motherboard F2 bios
2Gb DDR-II
ASUS X800XT-PE 256Mb 5.10 w/CCC
Antec 650W w/24-pin ATX connector
SATA storage (3 drives)
Optical drives: 2
Audigy2 Platinum eX

Any ideas?

Just one small sideline, if it's heat I'd consider WC, but can't find any waterblocks for the X800XT and its memory, does anyone know of one? :cool:

most people, if they WC the video card, don't use a block that covers the memory too. RAM heatsinks are best for that. Just thought I'd let you know.

Sure, I'm just hacked off with the crash, feel like taking the "take no prisoners" approach and just dunking it in a tub of freon... :D

I use to have the same problem with my X850XT-PE.
The card overheated all the time and would crash.
I just gave up and aimed a 120mm Fan to hit both sides of the card, now I have no problems.

i was having the same issue. I'm not sure why, but the problem went away when I made sure that the power cable connected to the card wasn't connected to anything else. give that a shot.

Looking at my PSU the PCI-E power is a dedicated lead, it doesn't have anything else connected... or for that matter any other plugs :confused:

Ok have rivatuner logging temps, can anyone recommend anything else I can be doing to monitor and diagnose what's going on?

Any way to measure the voltages seen by the PCIe card?

it definitely sounds like an overheating problem to me. you may want to take off the vid card's HSF and make sure that it's making good contact with the core. and while you're in there, swap out the stock goop with some AS5.

xXaNaXx said:
it definitely sounds like an overheating problem to me. you may want to take off the vid card's HSF and make sure that it's making good contact with the core. and while you're in there, swap out the stock goop with some AS5.

agreed, and remove any excess dust caught in the hsf too with a can of compressed air. Be careful though keep the can about 1 foot away as sometimes it shoots out small bursts of foam and if you don't let dry up could cause problems. Not that risky but I thought I'd be careful.

Back