F.E.A.R. Review: Gamespot 9.1

KillRoy X

Gawd
Well,

This is a nice feeling. Gamespot gives F.E.A.R a 9.1 and Editor's Choice Award right after IGN gives is a 9.2 .

Me likey! I am very psyched for this game now!!!

KillRoy X said:
Well,

This is a nice feeling. Gamespot gives F.E.A.R a 9.1 and Editor's Choice Award right after IGN gives is a 8.2 .

Me likey! I am very psyched for this game now!!!

IGN gave fear a 9.2, thay gave Quake 4 the 8.2.

Lol... kind of weird how the review just kind of ends isn't it? No wrap-up or conclusion. The audio is done superbly as well, blah blah... the end.

:confused:

Oh well, looks awesome.

i'm not suprised. i mean demo looked good, played good... only worries me that it takes 10 hrs to beat it...oh well it'll be great experience nontheless...can't wait till next week

It's too bad the demo ran like ass for me on my rig. I know my system is getting a little long in the tooth but FEAR is the first game that's ever been completely unplayable at 1024x768. Maybe the full version will perform a little better.

-Ace-

cpt.whistlepants said:
For the lazy :)
FEAR
THANK YOU. I wouldnt have looked up either
rolleyes.gif

I don't see why people hate on FEAR's multiplayer. It has the best melee attack system I've ever seen. Melee attacks actually are at times, good ideas.

AND awesome multiplayer? Ok, I'm really sold. That's all I really play anyhow.

SpeedRunner said:
I don't see why people hate on FEAR's multiplayer. It has the best melee attack system I've ever seen. Melee attacks actually are at times, good ideas.
True, the melee system is outstanding (and infact surprisingly balanced with the weapons. O_O it's a game, let us go kung-fu during a gun fight. :D) but the fact is, there is little in the way of game modes. Slo-mo? Neat like the mellee, but again, not enough to merit dedicated gameplay. For some, maybe, but to attract attention from the numerous other shooters out there, FEAR will require a legitimately original multiplayer game mode. Maybe an objective oriented Slo-mo setup? I don't know, but for all intents and purposes the multiplayer game mode options are pretty standard. Well rounded for a Singleplayer focused game, however.

The fundimentals of gameplay, it does correctly, so let's hope enough creative/talented folks see the merit in FEAR's robust game mechanics and put out a neato mod that'll give us an original multiplayer experience as well.

I think FEAR's MP is great. Fast paced action with some twists here and there. I guess I'll be one of the ?few? enjoying both aspects of this game.

so_cal_forever said:
I think FEAR's MP is great. Fast paced action with some twists here and there. I guess I'll be one of the ?few? enjoying both aspects of this game.

Me as well, I love the mp.

bazylik said:
i'm not suprised. i mean demo looked good, played good... only worries me that it takes 10 hrs to beat it...oh well it'll be great experience nontheless...can't wait till next week

Remember that it's not the quantity in the game, but the quality of it. I also factor in replayability in with the quality aspect of it.

There are lots of really short games that were really good
Max Payne and Max Payne 2 are two I can really think of...........

To bad it doesn't support WS :(

Anyways, I donno about this game. The SP demo was kinda blah, and MP just sucked. I'll wait on it.

Will this game end up supporting LCD res? 1280 1024?i hope. Games look blurry and gross when they dont support that res.

I loved doing the karate kick melee jump attack in MP, so I'm sold on the game :D

From what the guy who went to Mexico to get the game :eek: said about it, it has been optimized and runs much better on current hardware, which is good because running it at 1156x864 gave me a feeling of inferiority :(

kool FEAR should be fun.....

Did anyone else notice that Bet On SOilder got a 3.1, Damn i thought it was gonna be fun but they say its buggy as hell and dull.

It seems theres only a few of us that think FEAR multiplayer is awesome. IMO it's much better than CSS, DoD, BF2, etc.

I think the MP demo is great fun ..trying to order FEAR off of the egg ..but they doing some server maintenance right now ...booo :mad:

just tried it tonight.. its a fun deathmatch, and Im sure it would be even better on a suitable computer. :( Everything is great except I find the Penetrator to totally overpower all other weapons and everyone whores it pretty bad.. Once I upgrade this fall, I could see myself buying FEAR just to see the full version multiplayer.

erkan said:
Will this game end up supporting LCD res? 1280 1024?i hope. Games look blurry and gross when they dont support that res.

It does support 1280x1024 but you have to edit a config file, it's not an option in the game menu.

koneko said:
It does support 1280x1024 but you have to edit a config file, it's not an option in the game menu.

Yeh, that pretty much sums it up. I'm playing the DVD version of it now and i was expecting them to put it in cause so many people complained but nerp. Wasnt hard to change so no biggie.

[slight spoilers ahead]

As for the game, its friggin awesome.. They know when to do scary stuff and when not to, unlike doom 3 for instance, its very nicely balanced. I'm about 2 hours into it and its already run through the demo level, but it sections (like parts of the demo are at different parts of the game). But yer, very cool overall, lots of scary bits and the AI are quite smart, grenades seem to land at your feet more than you'd think :)

The DVD also has this 10 minute prequal movie which is pretty funky, adds a nice touch(very Ring'esque). Only problem is that the box for the game has nothing interesting in it (like a thin manual and a register slip), they didnt even bother including a case for the disc, its in a friggin paper-slip ffs :p.

One last amusing thing - The laptops in the game are AlienWare heh.

ZOMGWTFBBQ said:
Yeh, that pretty much sums it up. I'm playing the DVD version of it now and i was expecting them to put it in cause so many people complained but nerp.

Er...Zom? How are you playing it now? Did you pre-order? I heard some Best Buys are breaking date, I think I'm going to run up there an check!

The penetrator and assault rifle are the best stock weapons.
I was like 40-3 on a deathmatch server this morning against noobs.
The repeating cannon is what's overpowered. The thing looks and fires like a shotgun
but I've been killed by that thing from 30 feet away !
I can't wait to see what the retail maps are like. Factory is finally getting a little old.

Stereophile said:
The penetrator and assault rifle are the best stock weapons.
I was like 40-3 on a deathmatch server this morning against noobs.
The repeating cannon is what's overpowered. The thing looks and fires like a shotgun
but I've been killed by that thing from 30 feet away !
I can't wait to see what the retail maps are like. Factory is finally getting a little old.

Penetrator FTW! I like it even more than the crossbow in HL2 :D

ZOMGWTFBBQ said:
One last amusing thing - The laptops in the game are AlienWare heh.

Ah, product placement at its finest.

I am dying to get this game. I was really hoping the local Best Buys would have it for sale already, but no such luck.

Back