F.E.A.R. is now on steam!

Gabriel

2[H]4U
After playing part 2 on steam, I was looking for this game, but couldn't find it anywhere for less than $50 new. It's now on steam for $10 and I guess it includes the 2 expansion packs.

I have the discs for all of these games and just picked this up on Steam myself. I can pass on the discs to friends.

Yeah I'm pretty damn tempted since I hear extraction point was pretty good.

Possibly stupid question, but was FEAR ever updated to support widescreen resolutions?

Yay, I played the first FEAR and loved it. Bought it for the expansions.

As far as I know it always supported widescreen resolutions.
no it did not. in fact they made it clear that ONLY 4:3 was going to be supported when the game was originally released. as of the last patch though yes widescreen is an option right from the menu.

no it did not. in fact they made it clear that ONLY 4:3 was going to be supported when the game was originally released. as of the last patch though yes widescreen is an option right from the menu.
They added menu options, but I believe widescreen was always possible by editing a configuration file.

Already have all 3... But for 10 bucks is really a good deal despite how old the game is. It was a solid game

Wonder if there's any promo for FEAR 2 soon though :D
I've yet to play FEAR 2. Wasn't interested in paying full price after tried out the demo

I have the discs for all of these games and just picked this up on Steam myself. I can pass on the discs to friends.

I have the CDs for all the games also. It would be nice if they would accept the retail CD keys so I don't have to pay for it again.

Already have all 3... But for 10 bucks is really a good deal despite how old the game is. It was a solid game

Wonder if there's any promo for FEAR 2 soon though :D
I've yet to play FEAR 2. Wasn't interested in paying full price after tried out the demo

Only $20 on Steam. I just bought that instead.

can anyone confirm this comes with both expansions?

It's a great deal if it does and will buy, I just wanted to make sure. It's £6.99 in the UK which isn't too bad.

*edit*

I just bought it anyway, yes comes with both expansions :)

Last edited:
I ended up buying it and everything works fine including widescreen support. It's weird playing a five year old shooter after only playing more recent FPS games lately. For some reason my typical run-and-gun strategy doesn't seem to work too well, I keep finding these weird things called 'healthkits' lying around, and instead of a cover system, my character can lean left and right!

can anyone confirm this comes with both expansions?

It's a great deal if it does and will buy, I just wanted to make sure. It's £6.99 in the UK which isn't too bad.

*edit*

I just bought it anyway, yes comes with both expansions :)

Wow that really is a good deal especially with both expansions. DLing now

F.E.A.R. supports widescreen with the latest patch. 1.08 I think

On both of the expansions I had to make config entries to get widescreen resolutions but that is with the disks and the latest patches I could find. If the Steam versions of the expansions support widescreen out of the box that is a nice thing.

They added menu options, but I believe widescreen was always possible by editing a configuration file.

possible <> supported

OP might want to put this on the HotDeals subforum, as I wasn't aware that this was finally available on Steam 'til now, so I imagine I'm not the only one...

Wish FEAR 2 was a bit cheaper, or that there was a FEAR pack... $25 for all four sounds nice...

I might pick this up...I lost the manual with the CD key on it a while ago and the discs are getting scratched. I would rather pay $10 then being hassled and run-around by customer service via e-mail to get mine replaced.

I ended up buying it and everything works fine including widescreen support. It's weird playing a five year old shooter after only playing more recent FPS games lately. For some reason my typical run-and-gun strategy doesn't seem to work too well, I keep finding these weird things called 'healthkits' lying around, and instead of a cover system, my character can lean left and right!

This was released before regenerating health and "cover systems" (e.g. no lean) became the norm.

I'll get this since I skipped the whole franchise and add it to the backlog of Steam games I intend to play one of these days.

RUNAWAY and RETREEAT were the main tactics I used in FEAR.

Agreed, that's a good way to put it. I guess I was thinking of run away and retreat to cover which is the way to play this game. I just loved the gun play in this game, it feels very much like an indoor shooting match which worked for me. Just old-school shooter action with a twist with the slow-mo.

Timeline of FEAR (online...combat)

2006: Great fun
everything after, cheaters everywhere

It is no fun being killed every time you spawn, no fun when the cheater can make everyone commit suicide or kill everyone instantly, being invisible, god mode, able to teleport and teleport to the flag and back to the base, no fun when the cheater has anti kick, the ability to pause the server, stop people from spawning, rapidfire, infinite slowmo, make people move like molasses, makes your character burn and act like it is being electrocuted, able to run around with single player weapons (pink drone laser, alma scream (which killed)) the great ability that made it seem like legit players were cheating by somehow making them kill every player in the server....Such fun

I couldnt get into this game as much. It was a solid game and I love corridor shooters but this one was a little TOO corridor'ish. After a while I started feeling claustrophobic. Definitely worth the $10 though.

Just bought it...

For a 5 year old game, 17 gig download is pretty big. :( It's a bigger download than Alien vs Predator. WTF?

EDIT: You can't download them separately. All are downloaded together to make up the 17gigs. Really kinda lame, wanted to just download FEAR.

Last edited:
Yeah I didnt get that either. I bought the CD's.....all 5 of them!!! Took forever to install! I just figured that was a good sign - mean a nice long game.

I saw this on Steam yesterday morning and bought it with no hesitation. I didn't even check to see if it had the expansions, thankfully it does.:p

My 9400m probably can't handle fear. :p

I think I'll buy it anyway.

Thanks for the head up, bought it in a heart beat. Consider myself a huge F.E.A.R fan and I think F.E.A.R Combat is the greatest online multiplayer experience I've had.

I DL'd it yesterday and spent 6-8hours playing the original. It was a massive 3 hour DL even on my 8mb cable connection but Im glad I did. 1680x1050 says resolution not optimized but it seems just fine to me

Whoa guys, is FEAR actually over 16 gb like steam is telling me? Seems kind of messed up for a 2005 game.

FEAR itself isn't 17 GB. For whatever reason it downloads FEAR and the two expansions all at once which makes up all of the 17 GB.

I DL'd it yesterday and spent 6-8hours playing the original. It was a massive 3 hour DL even on my 8mb cable connection but Im glad I did. 1680x1050 says resolution not optimized but it seems just fine to me
the only reason its says "not optimized" is because the game was originally designed for 4:3 only. funny thing is right around the time FEAR came out widescreen was becoming much more popular so they eventually gave widescreen options in a patch.

Thanks alot for this thread. Picked this up myself. I had a great time playing this back when it first came out and now I have the 2 expansions to play along with it.

woot I am picking up this bundle. I missed this boat but I am willing to wait a bit more for a steam sale.

Are the expansions single player or multiplayer? And how would you rate them. I just did another playthrough of F.E.A.R. about a month ago, but I'd like your opinions on the expansions.

Back