F.E.A.R. 3

Yeah I know, I'm talking about the older ones 'cause I never really got to play it. Is it any good?

FEAR 1 is amazing. Didn't play much of the expansion packs, but I heard Extraction Point is very, very good. Loved FEAR 2, even though the MP is nowhere near as good as the first game.

FEAR 1 is amazing. Didn't play much of the expansion packs, but I heard Extraction Point is very, very good. Loved FEAR 2, even though the MP is nowhere near as good as the first game.

Agreed.
Extraction Point was just full out action, start to finish. Actually better than Fear2, but quite short.

Anyone have FEAR3 yet?
Mine's on the way, but I'm anxious to find out if it's any good.:D

I'll have my copy later today. The PC version. Amazon's deal for me was too good to pass up. Free release day shipping, same price as Steam, $20 off my next purchase. I live off Amazon so that's a no brainer for me.

I'll have my copy later today. The PC version. Amazon's deal for me was too good to pass up. Free release day shipping, same price as Steam, $20 off my next purchase. I live off Amazon so that's a no brainer for me.

^^ this. I'll won't be home til tomorrow though.. boooooo

^^ this. I'll won't be home til tomorrow though.. boooooo

The fine print and email from Amazon says you have to spend that $20 before the month of June is up.

Won't be any problem for me. ;)

I think it's because it's 7 to 8 hours per character, which isn't too bad.
Both characters play through the same campaign, so although they might play differently, I don't consider that as added gameplay time since I imagine most people would only go through the game once.
About average length. Besides replay value is based on the user not the game anyways.
About average length for games right now. I'm just lamenting the fact that modern games tend to be much shorter than games from a few years ago.

Yup, got the Amazon deal as well. Too good to pass up and I like having a physical copy as a backup. Should be here sometime soon within the next few hours.

FEAR 1 was awesome the second was trash and I even got it on sale. If 3 is like 1 which I doubt it is I'd pick it up otherwise I'm not even wasting the 2.2 TB's of free space on my game drive for it, not even for 5 bucks.

FEAR 1 was awesome the second was trash and I even got it on sale. If 3 is like 1 which I doubt it is I'd pick it up otherwise I'm not even wasting the 2.2 TB's of free space on my game drive for it, not even for 5 bucks.

I just don't get this hate for part 2 at all.

The fine print and email from Amazon says you have to spend that $20 before the month of June is up.

yep.. mine will be spent the next 24 hours I am sure.

as for the game, I loved FEAR 1... loved the mechanics of the intractable environment (but sometimes objects over reacted a bit) and the feel of the movement, AI was great, spooky factor was great, models and textures were great for the time now looking a little dated, but still passable imo.. I have replayed it several times and still like to fire it up from time to time. On 3 screens it looks and plays great imo. FEAR 2 was decent.. good weapons but the mask thing you have on all the time bugged me for a while. And even with the film grain off it seemed a little blurry to me still.. but a decent game... have no idea what to expect for part 3 but with the reviews I am cautiously optimistic it will be fun.

The fine print and email from Amazon says you have to spend that $20 before the month of June 2012is up.

Thank you for purchasing "F.E.A.R. 3" from Amazon.com. It is our pleasure to let you know that you have earned a $20 credit toward the purchase of items shipped and sold by Amazon.com until 6/30/2012 (certain exclusions apply, including Kindle books, MP3s, and video rentals and downloads).

Fixed that for you.:)

I jumped on the steam fear bundle and I have been playing through fear 1. Great game and I am looking forward to fear 3

That's funny, I thought the exact opposite :) I thought the story and the scares went to shit in 2 (compared with 1, rather than the 3rd-party expansions), and while I was expecting the school level to be great it turned out to be nothing more than what was in the demo which was a big disappointment. I thought 1 was much more effective for being so understated whereas 2 was just endless cheap shocks. Just like Dead Space, except not as awful in all other respects. 3 looks like it's just more of the same. Lots of bad guys who must be really nasty because they look up from under their furrowed brows all the time.
And let's not forget F2's laughably bad ending. But at least it had fewer indistinguishable office sections than the original, I'll give it that.

I couldn't agree more. The first game was better in virtually every imaginable way than the second was.

I jumped on the steam fear bundle and I have been playing through fear 1. Great game and I am looking forward to fear 3

I really enjoyed FEAR 1 the most. The 2nd not so much.

So has anyone got this yet? How does it play? Dunno why my copy hasn't arrived yet must be on the later in the day delivery

Playing 3 now. Ugh. Not real impressed. Feels clunky as hell. Hard to explain. Runs killer on my bax as far as performance, but the controls and gameply are just blah. Maybe i just need to get used to it. Feels a bit consolish.

Textures are pretty low res. The dead enemies clothes look like hell close up, for example. The walls/floors are very average.

I WAS HOPING FOR BETTER GRAPHICS AND GAMEPLAY DAMMIT.

Playing 3 now. Ugh. Not real impressed. Feels clunky as hell. Hard to explain. Runs killer on my bax as far as performance, but the controls and gameply are just blah. Maybe i just need to get used to it. Feels a bit consolish.

Textures are pretty low res. The dead enemies clothes look like hell close up, for example. The walls/floors are very average.

I WAS HOPING FOR BETTER GRAPHICS AND GAMEPLAY DAMMIT.

I could tell the thing was consolized to hell from the TV commercials. The game play just made it look like a complete console game. It also didn't look very good. It didn't look like something that would have been designed to look appreciably better on the PC.

I could tell the thing was consolized to hell from the TV commercials. The game play just made it look like a complete console game. It also didn't look very good. It didn't look like something that would have been designed to look appreciably better on the PC.

Exactly. It looks like it was made for 1080p and barely at that. Looks like shit on my 30.

Probably because the footage you saw was from a console. so ya... It looked like a console.

Probably because the footage you saw was from a console. so ya... It looked like a console.

It looked like something developed for console exclusively. Leading me to believe the PC version would be yet another lame console port.

2 crashes to desktop so far in the first 30 minutes of play - good stuff. This box has NEVER CTD'd on any game... also the 580's sound like hairdryers. Graphics are not optimized - obvious dead give-away for console trash. Looking at the graphics, the fans shouldn't even be blowing. Ugh.

It looked like something developed for console exclusively. Leading me to believe the PC version would be yet another lame console port.

I'm pretty happy with it. Wouldn't mind the FOV pulled back a little but that's honestly my only complaint. It looks gorgeous maxed out here. Fun to play. Nice gunplay. I'm seeing what I'd expect from a FEAR game. :)

Played for about an hour and didn't have any technical issues on my end, at least so far.

I just don't get this hate for part 2 at all.

I thought it was OK, too. Not as good as the first, but it was a solid 7.5-8 rating. 3 seems to be getting decent reviews. Having spent quite of $(for me) on speaker equipment this week, I'll probably wait a paycheck or 2 for this, though.

Anyone experiencing stuttery side stepping?

I'm liking F.3.A.R. so far, but I think I enjoyed the previous ones - read on (no spoilers)

I've seen this before in games... everything looks decently normal when you are moving your mouse and moving forward, however if you just strafe from side to side, there is a "choppyness" that I can observe, and is quite bothersome as it causes a "blur" effect. Its like the game slows down to 25FPS or something...

I have tried this in every resolution up to 1920x1200, with vsync on and off, windowed and non windowed...

I have a i7 & GTX 470.

Can anyone else perceive this?

Anyone experiencing stuttery side stepping?

I'm liking F.3.A.R. so far, but I think I enjoyed the previous ones - read on (no spoilers)

I've seen this before in games... everything looks decently normal when you are moving your mouse and moving forward, however if you just strafe from side to side, there is a "choppyness" that I can observe, and is quite bothersome as it causes a "blur" effect. Its like the game slows down to 25FPS or something...

I have tried this in every resolution up to 1920x1200, with vsync on and off, windowed and non windowed...

I have a i7 & GTX 470.

Can anyone else perceive this?

yup it has issues.

Games pretty fun so far from the hour iv played. Runs smooth with no crashes, just wish it had NV surround / Eyefinity support.

I am loving it so far. Does not really feel like FEAR, but that is not to say it is not very fun. Liking the weapons very much.

Whats with the shuddering though? Seems like NV folks are affected. Another poor port...

I have a 5850 at max with pretty much 0 stuttering with Very High everything, no crashes and honestly, it's FUN AS HELL. Love how the game doesn't really let up.

Whats with the shuddering though? Seems like NV folks are affected. Another poor port...

Driver issue if its not effecting Ati Users. Witcher 2 had the same problem was that a console port too?

I've been playing for a couple hours since I got home from work and so far I'm enjoying it. I'm going to re-start the campaign with my buddy to do coop. The graphics aren't incredible compared to other shooters, but I enjoy the gameplay. Haven't touched multiplayer yet but I hear it's got some cool stuff.

Driver issue if its not effecting Ati Users. Witcher 2 had the same problem was that a console port too?

yea, we are trying to get some confirmation. Some people had luck disabling HID drivers, others haven't. Most seem to be using nvidia cards. I've tried latest WHQL and betas.

Of course it's a port, what isnt anymore?

Honestly, from what I can tell so far, F3AR might be the least scary of the 3 games, but it still has it's jumps and really WTF moments. Honestly, considering this is the first major FEAR game being made by some other company (even though Monolith gave them a little bit of help with the game), it's really not bad at all, it's very good so far.

Some sort of patch came out.. Don't see a change log. But maybe it fixed it.

I have finished the first 3 intervals. My thoughts so far:

Either I have become immune or they precursor the visual surprises too much with musical cues and the words loading (I remember being a lot more immersed in the first game and actually jumping a few times). I am running through an area and I see "Loading...", there is a musical cue and hey its Alma - which is bad. I really enjoy the gun play and the AI isn't terrible. They reward the slide kick and knifing possibly too much. So far a 7/10 for me, hopefully it picks up.

I am having no noticable performance problems - running an i7 and 580 with max settings and 2xAA @ 2560x1600.

It's better then FEAR 2, It's not near as good as the original.

I regret spending this much money on it, but I am a avid FEAR fan but unfortunately this series is just not what it used to be, the original in its time was a amazing game.

Back