F.3.A.R. (F.E.A.R. 3)?

Only the second expansion was bad. The first (Extraction Point) did a great job of delivering more of what FEAR did so well. Very easy to recommend.

Perseus Mandate was the bad one, and the greater sin is it taints Extraction Point because people (like some here) feel the need to say "both expansions suck" just because the second one did.

I must stand apart. I started playing FEAR and got maybe 1/4 into it, between the repetitiveness and boredom I had to enable god mode just so the game would go faster. There was a few good moments with the game. I wouldn't waste my time with a 2nd run through though. As with others I would say it was graphically great game wise.

I played the demo for FEAR 2 and liked it, still coming off the coattails of bad reviews I've held off from playing the fullversion. I'm thinking I'd maybe like it more than the 1st, LMAO.

Fear 2 is $19.99 on Steam, but I don't see the first one available on Steam? That's a little weird.

Ugh, last time I checked it was 49.99 or something not too long ago...I wish steam would announce these types of big price cuts, if it wasn't for this thread I wouldn't have known.

I liked both FEAR 1 and FEAR 2.
Scare factor goes to FEAR1 but I thought FEAR 2 did a good job fixing some of FEAR1s flaws like repetitive environments and improved graphics (very well optimized)

The first time of playing the original FEAR is incredibly special and one of my high points in all of gaming.

I still have the first one sitting on my shelf unopened. :(
Haven't been able to do much gaming since my hdd is dead.

FEAR 2 is a very good game.
Unlike the first one, this game tries to startle you instead of legitimately scaring you... but it makes up for it with much better shooting action. Only once was I so scared that I hesitated about moving forward. In the first game, this was common practice. The game has been dumbed down a fair bit for consoles (no lean, postfilter effects galore) but it still holds up well, and runs quite nicely on the PC.

I'd argue that it's a better game than it's predecessor, but it's an average game at best compared to what else is out there, whereas the first one was this amazing game that came out of nowhere. The story alone should make it worth the $20 you're going to spend on it. The ending alone is worth the price of admission :D

I haven't played any of the expansions yet, but they're on my list after Bad Company 2.

I just now installed FEAR and started playing it. Quite interesting! Though I haven't found it scary at all, yet. Fun, however.

Considering how big of a multiplayer fiasco FEAR2 was and the grief we gave the developers (Yurei and Marauder) I wouldn't be surprised if this title is for consoles only.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/63205

Monolith's horror shooter series F.E.A.R. will return this fall in F.E.A.R. 3, publisher Warner Bros. has announced, handled by Fracture and F.E.A.R. console port developer Day 1 Studios.

How concerned should I be here?

F.E.A.R. 2's silent protagonist Point Man will return as the star, though his brother--F.E.A.R. character Paxton Fettel--will also be playable in the shooter's "divergent co-op" mode, where each have "distinctly different abilities affecting their own play as well as the experience of their co-op partner."

The Thing and Escape from New York director John Carpenter has been brought onboard to provide "his expertise in crafting the in-game cinematics" while 30 Days of Night writer Steve Niles has co-written the script with Day 1.

"After working closely with Monolith, Day 1 is honored to bring the next iteration of the F.E.A.R. franchise to gamers with key elements of the past games yet providing fresh combat and horror experiences in F.E.A.R. 3," said Day 1 founder Denny Thorley in the announcement. "Players can look forward to new features such as divergent co-op, an evolved cover system, and more scares in F.E.A.R. 3."

F.E.A.R. 3--thankfully not F.3.A.R.--is due out on PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 this fall.

Mixed news here.

new trailer's up for those interested. it was kinda of weird if you ask me, but thats because i never finished the other games and had no clue what was happening till the end of the trailer :p

Since they have John Carpenter on board,they should look into the possibility of developing a Snake Plissken game!

Don't understand why FEAR 2 got so many negative reviews, I rather enjoyed it, the graphics and story were very good although it certainly was not as scary or atmospheric as the original.

Same...

Again like my first post in this thread, I'm fairly PC elitest and prefer more PC orientated games which the original FEAR clearly was. FEAR2 was an obvious step in the console direction and was consolised in a lot of ways.

But they improved the game in several ways which are far more important for that particular type of game, they made it more cinematic which greatly benefits this specific type of game I feel, all the dream sequence type manipulations of reality fade together really well, where the paranoral and real world kind of mesh, there's more clever effects.

And the scares in number 2 are just fucking intense, the first game is more of a psychological thriller, alma is about but most of the time quite passive towards you, it ramps up a bit near the end but the scares of her are not really in your face.

FEAR 2 however ramps that up 10x in my opinion, the only reason I bring this up again is because at the LAN party I had last week we all sat around and watched mack and mesh (the mesh does FEAR) videos which show off a few of the scares and looking back while spine chilling they weren't as jumpy...

Then we watched a video which was basically all of the scares in FEAR 2 stringed together and they were just so intense, alma gets right in your face in some of them, grabs you, assaults you, and worse at the end, i wont spoil that little gem of a mind fuck for any of you :)

I think FEAR 2 got a bit of a bad rep, as far as taking franchises from the PC and porting them to consoles or multiplatform games it could have suffered a lot, they managed to keep that to a minumum and really ramp up the game in many other good ways.

FEAR 2 wasn't really the sequel people were expecting, IMO that's the reason for the subpar reviews. To be honest I agree overall, after playing though FEAR 2 I felt a tad cheated. If you ask me they could of named it a completely different game and no one would of known.
Scares in FEAR 2 were more or less a joke and totally foreshadowed 10-20 seconds before the actual scare took place, which totally ruined it for me. Here's hoping they decide to do FEAR 3 properly.

Awesome - I need to play FEAR 2, but after reading some posts here thinking it would be best to skip it... I had a lot of fun with FEAR so I hope FEAR 3 is awesome!

Awesome - I need to play FEAR 2, but after reading some posts here thinking it would be best to skip it... I had a lot of fun with FEAR so I hope FEAR 3 is awesome!

IMO it is best to skip it if you've played the original, in terms of a sequel the ball was totally dropped with FEAR 2.

I love the fact that FEAR 3 is coming, I do NOT love the fact that the feeling once got by players in FEAR will most likely dissapear completely since the original developer is now gone again.

The reason the expansions didnt fare as well as the original is that a lot of FEAR fans wanted the original devs back. So, they come out a second time and fail (probably Warner's fault). But I would have given them another shot. Now, that chance is gone unless a miracle happens.

They did a complete flip with their target group of players, and it still racks my brain why. I mean, the original FEAR for the PC was THE GAME. It won so many awards and ganrered so many accolades. It was PC specific when it accomplished all of this!

This game has another chance. F.E.A.R. 1 was more of a subtle kind of horror. You know...the scene where you can just barely see something that you know is bad, but you have no real clue of how awesomely terrifying that thing is. With F.E.A.R. 2, the horror there was like, "OH MY GOD!!! WHAT THE F@#K IS THAT!!" and then they die in your face kind of way. So I am really interested in what kind of approach these guys will take with the game.

+1 for fear 2, i never played the first but I quite enjoyed fear 2.

btw I have a full playthrough of fear 2 on my youtube page

www.youtube.com/user/sikkyu

look for it, there is a playlist as well. It is my first time through the game and there are parts which scared the bajesus outta me.

This game has another chance. F.E.A.R. 1 was more of a subtle kind of horror. You know...the scene where you can just barely see something that you know is bad, but you have no real clue of how awesomely terrifying that thing is. With F.E.A.R. 2, the horror there was like, "OH MY GOD!!! WHAT THE F@#K IS THAT!!" and then they die in your face kind of way. So I am really interested in what kind of approach these guys will take with the game.

I finished the game a few days ago. I can't really remember any scene where I was scared. Maybe I'm too dense.

I got really freaked out when I first played FEAR 1. It's the kind of game where you have to be observant (in both watching and listening) to spot some things, and those things are what creeped me out. FEAR 2 had a few of those moments, but I think it was mostly "things jumping out at you" scares. After a while, I could pick out possible "scare" points where if I went down that way something would happen.

FEAR 1 was a masterpiece. I enjoyed Extraction Point as well, even though I think it wasn't made by Monolith. Perseus Mandate was a disappointment (both graphically/presentation wise and story wise). FEAR 2 didn't have the same "wow" effect as far as graphics go, but then maybe Crysis spoiled me. The story and gameplay I also thought were kind of weak (partly due to the consolization). I have hope that F3AR (I like that :p) will go back to its roots, but probably not.

I played FEAR1 in 2008. I was up visiting my parents for the holidays and after everyone would go to sleep I would grab a beer head up to play it in my mother's office. That game scared the shit out of me in the most awesome way possible. I heard some bad comments from people about FEAR 2 but I am picking it up anyway...for $20 on STEAM it's worth a shot. I want to get back on the story line for for FEAR 3.

Back