Eyefinity6+Non-Eyefinity6 Multi-GPU configs

stewartjm

Limp Gawd
My best guess, if you have a 5870 Eyefinity6, 5870, you can crossfire it with a Non-Eyefinity6 card and still output to 6 displays. As long as the 6 display card is the "primary" card. True or false?

And I'd guess the other way around also works, setting the Non-Eyefinity card to be the "primary", should give you support for 3 2560x1600 dual-linkDVI monitors(LP3065 or 3007wfp), with only the need to purchase one active Displayport to dual link DVI converter.

What about a 5970 + a 5870 with different video port configurations?

Is this stuff documented anywhere?

Thanks.

That should all work just fine. The only catch will be that the E6 and regular versions have different amount of VRAM, and you won't see any benefit from the E6's 2GB if you pair it with a 1GB card.

Crossfire is pretty flexible when it comes to mixing and matching different cards.

If you are driving 6 displays, while a 1gb 5870 would work, it would be MUCH better to get 2 of the 2gb 5870s since you would really benefit from the extra 1gb of memory.

If I get a Non-Eyefinity6 5870, I plan to get one of the 2gb Sapphire models. In fact I'll probably start with one since then I won't need an active displayport adapter to use it with my current setup.

Back