Eyefinity with a core2duo?

RooK

[H]ard|Gawd
Yes, yes... I know the new intel i7 series is all that and a bag of chips...

I don't want to shell out the cash for it, a new mobo, and ram however.

I currently have an E8400 @ 3.6 (pretty dang stable) with an old 8800GTX that still gets me by. 4 gigs of RAM... uh, PC8500 I believe.

If I choose to slap an 5850 or whatever the ~300 dollar eyefinity card is into my current rig, is that going to be a big bottleneck?

Has anyone tried this?

E8400 at 3.6Ghz is still a fast processor these days. It shouldn't be that much of a bottleneck in most games.

What size monitors do you have/plan on having?

24"s

so... what would that be....

5760 x 1080 ?

Eyefinity is something with my really wide peripheral vision would brand me a cheater, but I would have such a great time - I figure if my current rig will run it, then i'll hold out for the i7's to come down or win the lottery :p

You should be fine at that res for the majority of games. 5850 is a beast and wont bottleneck much with an 8400 @ 3.6.

You can hit 4ghz man, come on! You will be GPU limited at those high resolutions so won't have any problem.

Your cpu is alittle long in the tooth, but not too bad. A Q6600 @ 3.X is generally the recommended minimum. But eh, I doubt you'd have a problem with it.

Your cpu is alittle long in the tooth, but not too bad. A Q6600 @ 3.X is generally the recommended minimum. But eh, I doubt you'd have a problem with it.

A Q6600 would be better only if the game can take advantage of more than 2 cores and Eyefinity & Super hi-res has nothing to do with that.

now that is what I would like to see here at the [H]... benchmarks with a budget in mind - I remember when this site didn't seem like a "promoter" of products, but just reviewed them.. ah well.

Too bad they don't take any eyefinity into consideration in that article... but, i'm guessing from the people with the similar system that I have that are running it, i'll be happy.

The power consumption of those things is friggin sick though... If you ran a folding program that took advantage of the GPU, you would have the cops knocking at your door thinking you had a grow room.

Back