• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Eyefinity viewing distance

eddieck

Gawd
Joined
Dec 13, 2009
Messages
1,010
It seems to me that with a 3x1 1920x1080 setup (so 5760x1080) you'd have to sit pretty far back from the screens. I sit typically within around 1 ft. of my monitor and don't want to have to sit much farther back if I go with an Eyefinity setup.

Maybe 1680x1050 displays are a better option? Advice?
 
Are you certain your display is within 12 inches? That's exceptionally close — most optometrists recommend sitting no closer than 24 inches.
 
I sit about 2 foot away from my 30's when im into a game. I can see most of the side monitors while playing games with my peripheral vision. I dont really feel it will make you have to sit any differently
 
Are you certain your display is within 12 inches? That's exceptionally close — most optometrists recommend sitting no closer than 24 inches.

You're right. I think I'm around 18 inches right now.

My eyes are pretty bad without glasses. I can barely read a book title that's like two and a half feet away from me. I tend not to wear glasses on the computer since I'm so close to it and because any small speck of dust on the glasses annoys me to hell. (And no matter what I clean them with - soap or lens cleaners - with microfiber cloths, can't get rid of the dust.)
 
I use three 24" monitors to run 5780 x 1200.
Mine are placed on a standard desktop about 8 inches from the rear of the desk.

I sit at about 18 inches from the monitors, it's very comfortable at that distance, any closer and I think you'd loose the advantage of peripheral vision.

I am terribly near-sighted, nearly to the point of legal blindness, I couldn't see my monitors without my glasses......even at 18 inches.
Hence the nick-name.
 
What about 3 30" 2560x1600 displays? Two feet sound about right for viewing distance? Or what about the U2711 2560x1440?
 
You'll definitely want a monitor arm then for your eyefinity setup. Then you can customize exactly how close or far the monitors are in relationship to you.
 
use windows 7 to change the global sizing its very easy. you should be sitting at least 18 inches form the screens or your eyes will go buggy. plus you'll get a tan if you sit too close..

the arm mount is more for angle and height. they are generally very expensive so i wouldnt bother unless it was necessary.
 
It seems to me that with a 3x1 1920x1080 setup (so 5760x1080) you'd have to sit pretty far back from the screens. I sit typically within around 1 ft. of my monitor and don't want to have to sit much farther back if I go with an Eyefinity setup.

Maybe 1680x1050 displays are a better option? Advice?

There is no set distance. Especially in variation to eyesight and to size.

I usually recommend for any monitor setup that you sit close enough so that you are able to read text comfortably and take it from there. The side screens are for your peripheral vision anyway, while the center screen is for your central vision. :)
 
There is no set distance. Especially in variation to eyesight and to size.

I usually recommend for any monitor setup that you sit close enough so that you are able to read text comfortably and take it from there. The side screens are for your peripheral vision anyway, while the center screen is for your central vision. :)

Good recommendation about the distance, but remember that the side monitors will definitely be used to extend your desktop in Windows once they are available.

A three-monitor desktop is quite interesting in the fact that you can only focus on two monitors at a time. A few times now I've found myself double-clicking on an icon in the bottom right notification area and wondering why it wasn't working, only to realize that the window popped up on on the left side of the far left monitor and I didn't notice :)
 
Good recommendation about the distance, but remember that the side monitors will definitely be used to extend your desktop in Windows once they are available.

A three-monitor desktop is quite interesting in the fact that you can only focus on two monitors at a time. A few times now I've found myself double-clicking on an icon in the bottom right notification area and wondering why it wasn't working, only to realize that the window popped up on on the left side of the far left monitor and I didn't notice :)

Lol, yea I had to set up 2 profiles, one for extended desktop mode and the other Eyefinity mode, and bind them to a key to switch. I never had more than 1 monitor before this setup, love all the extra desktop space.
 
Good recommendation about the distance, but remember that the side monitors will definitely be used to extend your desktop in Windows once they are available.

A three-monitor desktop is quite interesting in the fact that you can only focus on two monitors at a time. A few times now I've found myself double-clicking on an icon in the bottom right notification area and wondering why it wasn't working, only to realize that the window popped up on on the left side of the far left monitor and I didn't notice :)

True. :) This is why I recommend that you need to find the position where you read comfortably on the center screen first. Then you have established a "comfort zone". For long time gaming, the center screen needs to be within comfort zone. Use of side panels outside of gaming require usually movement anyway if to use any of the screens comfortably for reading text/webpages. If center is already positioned comfortably, it usually requires less movement, so generally its a good starting point for positioning.

As example, if you use photoshop, you can use center screen for full screen editing, while left or right is for paletts, while one screen is used for softproofing. :)
 
Back
Top