eyefinity setup

ageless

n00b
hey i just bought a amd 6970 and is thinking in getting the monitors for an eyefinity setup
i was about to get the asus 27 inch monitor because i heard its really good but what is everyone opinions on these monitor for eyefinity.
If you have any other monitors to suggest i was also thinking maybe 27 is too big and go for 24.Any opinions would be awesome

thanks in advance

I myself am setting up eyefinity as well, and from my research 24 inch is the sweet spot for size and price. 27 is just too much demad for decent performance. Thats just what I came up with through two months of researching and forum posts.

Not only the u2711 is too big but its ultra high resolution (in an eyefinity setup) may be too demanding for your 6970.
IMO, u2711 x3 = Crossfire 6950 or 6970

24" seems a much more reasonable setup for your video card.

If you are wanting to go portrait mode at all 16x9 (1080p) resolution sucks because it's way too skinny per monitor and the bezels are very noticable. 16x10 seems much better for portrait mode. For landscape mode though I don't think it makes as much of a difference. I'm running 3 U2311hs right now in portrait and wish each monitor was a little wider (1900x1200) You won't realize how much space it takes up until you get the monitors set up. I cannot fit 3 23s on my current desk for landscape mode so going to have to buy a new desk for it.

ageless, keep in mind that Asus you looked at is a TN panel monitor. This type basically won't work in portrait as each eye will be seeing a different contrast level of the screen.

If you go for *VA or IPS displays then you can use them in either portrait of landscape. For 24" take a look at HP ZR24W or Dell U2410 (both 1920x1200 IPS).

is ips the best bet for a gaming pc? This pc i am setting up eyefinity is only for gaming nothing else

is portrait mode any good for gaming?

thanks

is ips the best bet for a gaming pc? This pc i am setting up eyefinity is only for gaming nothing else

is portrait mode any good for gaming?

thanks

Portrait is almost required in some games. Let me elaborate on that before I get called out for being wrong. In dragon age for example, the health bars and abilities are all on the very far left of the screen which puts this on the very far left side of the left monitor. In landscape mode you are really only supposed to look at the center monitor and the others are for immersion effect with peripheral vision. The game seemed almost impossible to play having fun with the bars way over there and the map is on the very right of the right screen. In order to play this game on 3 monitors I was forced to go to portrait mode.

I believe the gaming experience of portrait mode I may have enjoyed more from one of the 30" screens which does 25xx X 1600 due to the closeness of the bezels. Eyefinity really was supposed to be about the peripheral vision immersion which is not as apparent in portrait mode. The aspect ratio is still close to the 16x9/16/10 ratio so you do not see extra gaming world while playing. In landscape mode you actually see more of the world at once.

For nongaming purposes though it seems to me that portrait > landscape (web surfing etc) If you want the ability to go portrait at some point I've read you really need to go with IPS. If this does not attract you at all though then tn monitors actually have faster response times which will help eliminate ghosting. IPS screens also suffer from having an apparent tint to them when looked at from offangle. ON my screens it is a purplish affect. I don't remember what this is called but it is a well known problem. It may not be an issue for you though. With TN monitors looking at it offangle is supposed to make the colors seem to fade (something I've never personally noticed and has been getting better in past years) They both have their drawbacks and it's up to you to decide what's more important.

Back