Eyefinity ruined gaming for me!

Its slightly different comparing widescreen vs 4:3 and eyefinity vs single monitor as far as fairness is concerned, because widescreen was always going to eventually become the norm. Even then the transition wasn't terribly fast.

Eyefinity on the other hand will never become the norm, it'll just be the play-thing of enthusiasts who make up a fraction of a percent of the entire gaming community.

By that reasoning multi GPU is an unfair advantage, because higher frame rates can certainly be an advantage. SLI/Crossfire will never become the norm either.

For league or tournament play, I'm fine with a server side insta kick if a FOV over XX degrees is detected. Other than that it seems as pointless for devs to intentionally block Eyefinity/Surround as it would Crossfire/SLI.

By that reasoning multi GPU is an unfair advantage, because higher frame rates can certainly be an advantage. SLI/Crossfire will never become the norm either.

Again, not a good comparison. Multi GPU set up isn't a gameplay advantage, its a graphics advantage. You can always turn down the graphics so the game plays at a solid framerate on a single mainstream GPU so you end up with the exact same gameplay (the few games you can't dont become popular MP games). However, if you "turn down" the settings from 3 screens to 1 screen, you lose a gameplay advantage.

Again, not a good comparison. Multi GPU set up isn't a gameplay advantage, its a graphics advantage. You can always turn down the graphics so the game plays at a solid framerate on a single mainstream GPU so you end up with the exact same gameplay (the few games you can't dont become popular MP games). However, if you "turn down" the settings from 3 screens to 1 screen, you lose a game play advantage.

Then by that reasoning, you can always up the FOV on a single monitor so you see the same thing as Eyefinity/Surround users. Yes, it would look like ass, but then again, that is a graphical disadvantage, not a game play one.. Most any game that allows for the FOV change to support Eyefinity/Surround would be able to support that I think. So the multi GPU set up remains a good comparison.

We can go round and round but I don't think either of us will change their view on this. I am just going to agree to disagree on this.

Then by that reasoning, you can always up the FOV on a single monitor so you see the same thing as Eyefinity/Surround users. Yes, it would look like ass, but then again, that is a graphical disadvantage, not a game play one.. Most any game that allows for the FOV change to support Eyefinity/Surround would be able to support that I think. So the multi GPU set up remains a good comparison.

We can go round and round but I don't think either of us will change their view on this. I am just going to agree to disagree on this.

There were games that people used to do that. Though I still dont think it's a good comparison, because few people are gonna put up with the horrible fisheye effect on a single screen because it really will look like arse. However going from SLI/crossfire down to a single GPU isn't a big downgrade for most, majority of games (especially competitive games) run perfectly fine on a single mainstream GPU, most games the only thing you're losing is 2xAA instead of 16xAA and maybe a few shadow effects.

I dont really have an opinion on it as I dont play games competitively, I'm just playing devil's advocate ;)

Im all for eyefinity and can't wait to get mine running but I was thinking pretty much the exact same thing.

As for starcraft I think they deliberately disable it because seeing 3 times the battlefield is a solid tactical advantage. I believe the original starcraft has it's resolutions on lock down as well.

Blizz should not be restricting eyefinity and wide resolutions. If you're going to argue that it's okay for them to do it because of the "fairness" and tactical advantage, then they should limit the resolution to 1280x1024 or 1680x1050 and lock out 1920x1200. It's the SAME advantage.

Besides Fog of war should negate any possible advantage eyefinity would give in SC2 or any RTS. Screw SC2. Blizz games are overhyped and over-anticipated.

I'm really enjoying my eyefinity setup. I think it's great for certain games. I don't like it when playing RTSs but FPSs and driving games are a lot more enjoyable. Fortunately, I have 2 setups. I go to my gaming rig with a single 24" LCD to play COH with my buddies and play L4D2, LOTRO, Portal, Torchlight on my eyefinity rig. I don't think eyefinity ruined gaming for me. It enhanced it for me in some games.

Blizz should not be restricting eyefinity and wide resolutions. If you're going to argue that it's okay for them to do it because of the "fairness" and tactical advantage, then they should limit the resolution to 1280x1024 or 1680x1050 and lock out 1920x1200. It's the SAME advantage.

Besides Fog of war should negate any possible advantage eyefinity would give in SC2 or any RTS. Screw SC2. Blizz games are overhyped and over-anticipated.

Why would they lock out 1920x1200 and keep 1680x1050? Both are 16:10. The game has a set camera FOV that only changes based on the widescreen aspect ratio. To be honest though, I could care less about them supporting Eyefinity, most people do it for the eyecandy anyway, which means they're less concerned about actually competing at a high level. If someone wins WCG because of Eyefinity then I'll be surprised.

Last edited:
I thought this was gonna be an:

"OMFG !! I JUST GOT PWNT BY SOEONE IN BFBC2 BECAUSE THEY WERE USING EYEFINITY AND SAW ME ON THE FAR LEFT ( or right ) OF THIER SCREEN AND I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW THEY WERE THERE !!!!"

Eyefinity is a bit advantageous to people in that you/they WILL see someone that otherwise would have been passed by all because of the extra FoV.

Since this is not that kinda thread I do not feel sorry for you and personally would never be that spoiled because I still play the orig Unreal, AVP2 and other old games online that I know will never ever evar in a milibajilitrillion years support eyefinity and yet, I'm okay with that because a good game is a good game reguardless of the supported resolution/monitor count.

STOP BEING A BABY YOU SPOILED . . .. BABY !!!

I just changed from running dual 42" screens to an Eyefinity (three 23") setup. Naturally I was only gaming on one screen with the dual 42s.

Using MW2 as an example, the difference in the gaming experience was amazing. I played through the entire game for a second time with Eyefinity and not only did I score much higher but the game was much more enjoyable. The immersion was fantastic. I played only in landscape. I doubt I will ever use portrait as the aspect ratio just makes it look like a single screen with bars. In landscape the bars disappear for me.

As for the purpose of this thread, Eyefinity hasn't ruined other games for me. I have gone through my older library trying to make various games work but I finished Bioshock 2 on one screen and am currently playing Mass Effect 2 on a single screen. It would be sweet if they worked well with Eyefinity but it isn't a deal breaker for me.

I rely on multiple screens at work to do my job (network administration) and now I rely on the triple screens on my personal PC. It is just nice to have the extra real estate and great to have a single card that can force Windows to see one screen instead of three separate screens.

Back