Jbort1984

[H]ard|Gawd
OK specs of my rig are
nzxt phantom case
2x xfx 6950 in crossfire unlocked and o/ced to 930/1400
i7 2600k @ 4.5ghz
asus p8p67
16gb patriot memory

Now i ordered 3 23.6"ASUS VH242H DVI/HDMI Blu-ray 1080p Widescreen LCD Monitor w/Speakers & HDCP Support (Black)
Now can i use 2 monitors on both the dvi and one of them using hdmi cable for eyefinity or do i need to buy dp adapters??

well that friggen sucks i have to spend another $99 to use a dp port instead of using both dvi and the hdmi port on one of my video cards.

well that friggen sucks i have to spend another $99 to use a dp port instead of using both dvi and the hdmi port on one of my video cards.

You mean $29? Pretty sure you only need single link for your monitor :p

And just so you know, unless you have a card with 3 DP ports already on it, whatever monitor you have on the DP adapter will very likely have tearing :(

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I wanted to go hdmi into each monitor i bought 2 dvi to hdmi cables and an hdmi cable just sucks i gotta spend more money to use a dp port instead of the 3 normal port that came on my card

If possible return the hdmi cables, pretty sure the store will have a return policy, or sell the cables on ebay.

Maybe im missing something but if your only using 2 monitors, then you can use 2 DVI or 1 DVI/1 HDMI. Two monitors has no need for an adapter. Once you hit 3 monitors then yes, youll need a dp->dvi adapter to hook the 3rd monitor up.

Update: I did miss something, you ordered 3 monitors. In that case, contact the XFX representative here on the forums and he will have a passive DP-DVI adapter sent out to you....he did it for me (though it was mini-dp to dp adapter since I already have the active adapter). Anything under 1920x1200 can go passive and work fine from what I hear, at 1920x1200 ive read of people having issues with the passives not working 100% of the time.

You don't need to spend that, you only need that if your monitor is at a higher resolution than 1920x1200

Since your monitors are 1920x1080 you can use a $30 Passive adapter

http://www.amazon.com/Accell-B087B-...1ZX0/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1304432668&sr=8-5

That's what I use

Maybe im missing something but if your only using 2 monitors, then you can use 2 DVI or 1 DVI/1 HDMI. Two monitors has no need for an adapter. Once you hit 3 monitors then yes, youll need a dp->dvi adapter to hook the 3rd monitor up.

Update: I did miss something, you ordered 3 monitors. In that case, contact the XFX representative here on the forums and he will have a passive DP-DVI adapter sent out to you....he did it for me (though it was mini-dp to dp adapter since I already have the active adapter). Anything under 1920x1200 can go passive and work fine from what I hear, at 1920x1200 ive read of people having issues with the passives not working 100% of the time.

Let me make this quite clear, a passive adapter will not work for the 3rd monitor. You need an active adapter when going from DP->DVI or DP->HDMI. You can get them for around $30.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...escription=active+displayport+adapter&x=0&y=0

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Anything under 1920x1200 can go passive and work fine from what I hear, at 1920x1200 ive read of people having issues with the passives not working 100% of the time.

I believe you mean single link active display adapter for anything under 1920x1200. Anything else above that requires a dual link active display adapter.

Why can't he use the outputs from the other card, is that some sort of limitation where you need to use the outputs of only one card?

Why can't he use the outputs from the other card, is that some sort of limitation where you need to use the outputs of only one card?

Crossfire is a master / slave relationship. Only one card's dispaly outputs are active.

This is what you need.

This is how you need to set it up. No, no other way will work with your setup.

IMG_20110503_211452.jpg

This is such bs why have all these different types of friggen adapters i can go out and buy a matrox digital to go for 50 bucks on ebay instead of trying to figure out what mini dp to dvi adapter i can or cannot use.

This is such bs why have all these different types of friggen adapters i can go out and buy a matrox digital to go for 50 bucks on ebay instead of trying to figure out what mini dp to dvi adapter i can or cannot use.

Perhaps next time you will do research, if you look on the post above yours I linked the adapters that will work. If you used the TripleHead2Go you would need the digital edition which is $279 on Ebay. It is not BS, you simply did not read.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
thanxs for all the info just annoyed that after spending almost 2k on the initial build. then just shelling out almost $600 more for 3 monitors shipped to me i have to once again open my wallett even if it is for only 30 bucks for another adapter im just annoyed. Next time i will buy one big screen and people can keep those dam adapters.

You won't go back to a single screen after you use 3, trust me. I hate playing on single screens now.

At least you didn't go through 3 different adapters like I did before one worked!

thanxs for all the info just annoyed that after spending almost 2k on the initial build. then just shelling out almost $600 more for 3 monitors shipped to me i have to once again open my wallett even if it is for only 30 bucks for another adapter im just annoyed. Next time i will buy one big screen and people can keep those dam adapters.

Wait until you (very likely) see the tearing on the 3rd display you have running with the adapter cable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saG2mr6qM_8

My tearing is more like this, it moves across the screen slowly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_898vDaupY

yay so i was kinda happy about getting this eyefinity crap settled and now i have to pray to amd to not have this tearing crap im gonna toss this whole comp in the trash and boy a dell for $399 with a 20inch dell monitor and never try anything new again.

heres to hopeing stalked dead thread please close and thanx sagain all for the input

The immersion gain and boost in general productivity with multiple monitors is well worth the effort, I hate working on single monitor setups now.

Crossfire is a master / slave relationship. Only one card's dispaly outputs are active.

So if I had two 6970's I am limited to what, like 5 displays? Two DVI, and two miniDP and one HDMI?

Even though I have 10 outputs, simply because of the crossfire relationship? Not that I need or could use 10 displays, but just wondering.

yay so i was kinda happy about getting this eyefinity crap settled and now i have to pray to amd to not have this tearing crap im gonna toss this whole comp in the trash and boy a dell for $399 with a 20inch dell monitor and never try anything new again.

I'll buy that trash.

So if I had two 6970's I am limited to what, like 5 displays? Two DVI, and two miniDP and one HDMI?

Even though I have 10 outputs, simply because of the crossfire relationship? Not that I need or could use 10 displays, but just wondering.

That is correct, unless you take the crossfire bridges off.

It's either or w/ DVI and HDMI. 4 dispalys from one card unless it's an Eyefinity 6 Edition and then there's a whole active adapte required for more than 2 DVI based monitors anyway.

It's either or w/ DVI and HDMI. 4 dispalys from one card unless it's an Eyefinity 6 Edition and then there's a whole active adapte required for more than 2 DVI based monitors anyway.

Actually, the 6000 series is DisplayPort 1.2 compliant so it is capable of using DP daisy chain devices. Unfortunately, it looks like the best they can do right now is 1 daisychain device to 3 DVI monitors with a max resolution across the 3 of 3840x1024 (1280x1024 single display res). So technically a single card can do 6....though at fairly low resolution.

I hear yah but come on AMD/ATI straight out tell you on their website and many member have posted that they require adapters for 3rd monitor to work. And if you trully spent over 2k wahts 30 bucks more. Really? :confused:

I just built an eyefinity set up as well and posted a worklog. Mine actually came with the single link adapter although it worked I can safely say I did get tearing or blacking out and not getting signal all the time. So I gave up and coughed up the $99 bucks for an active adapter and it works flawlessly. No lost signals and no tearing. Though when I reboot the 3rd monitor is off until the OS loads then it comes on.

In either case enjoy the new build and get your game on I am loving my system just wished bezels were gone but after 10 minutes they just blend away.

let us know if thge cheap ebay adapter works.

You will be able to connect 6 Monitors to all 6950/6970 cards using DisplayPort 1.2 MST hubs, but these are not on the market yet.

Until then, the only 6900s which allow you to connect 5+ displays are the Sapphire 6950 Flex, ASUS EAH6950 DCII/2DI4S/2GD5 and ASUS EAH6970 DCII/2DI4S/2GD5.

Note that AMD itself demoed a 4x5870 Eyefinity6 setup with 24 monitors at their original Eyefinity launch, but that was just a marketing stunt which only works for a very specific setup.

Back